Task Sequence Failed – Failed to get client identity (80004005)

SCCM 2012 R2:

I had an issue today where a task sequence was failing on a particular machine with the error “Failed to get client identity (80004005)”. Other machines were building today with the same task sequence and PXE point.

First thing I checked before the machine restarted during the task sequence was the SMSTS.log by pressing F8. I loaded up CMtrace.exe in the cmd window and browsed to X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTS.log and the error in interest was Failed to get client identity (80004005)

After finding out a bit more information about the machine, I had heard that a Dell technician came out to replace the motherboard. Previously to that it was working. When checking out the BIOS settings I noticed that the date and time was incorrect. The date was set to 08/08/15 (MM/DD/YY) and time was set to 09:32:48PM. It is currently 03/08/2016 and 01:58PM. After setting the correct date and time in the BIOS and clearing the PXE flag the machine imaged successfully.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s