PXE – CAS environment – device is in the database no advertisements found

I had an issue in a ConfigMgr 2012 R2 environment with a CAS and multiple Primary Sites. In this site we would import the MAC address of a machine into a collection with the OSD task sequence deployed. When PXE building a machine it would fail on abortpxe.com

When I checked the smspxe.log it said:

Client lookup reply:
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, XXXXXXXX-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx: device is in the database.
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, XXXXXXXX-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx: no advertisements found

The machine was definitely in the collection with a task sequence assigned. Even if I deleted the computer object out of the DB in the Primary Site, smspxe.log still showed “XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, XXXXXXXX-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx: device is in the database.”

On the Primary Site the machine was added to, I ran a query to search for the MAC address which found no results.

select distinct SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.MACAddresses, SMS_R_System.SMBIOSGUID, SMS_R_System.IPAddresses
from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.MACAddresses = ##PRM:SMS_R_System.MACAddresses## order by SMS_R_System.MACAddresses

I ended up connecting to the CAS, then did a search for “Resource ID” which was the “ItemKey” above in the SMSPXE.log. It found a machine which was originally joined to the Primary Site I am trying to PXE build from, but was currently assigned to another Primary Site and marked as inactive.

resourceid

After deleting that object from the CAS in the ConfigMgr console, the machine could build successfully.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s