Category Archives: WDS

Error: PXE-E53: No boot filename received

In my environment I import machines MAC address and machine name into a collection and have the task sequence advertised to that collection. I am not using unknown computer support.

I was trying to PXE boot a client and it kept failing. It would hang on:


Error: PXE-E53: No boot filename received

I initially thought it was a network problem and checked the network configuration on the switches and it was OK. I tested a few other machines and they were able to get an IP from DHCP then contact the PXE service point. So it had to be something linked to this particular client.

On my PXE service point I opened up the SMSPXE.log and searched for the MAC address of the problem client noticed this error:
MAC_ADDRESS: device is not in the database. SMSPXE
MAC_ADDRESS: Not serviced.

I deleted the client and re-imported the client into the collection and it could now PXE boot.

MAC_ADDRESS: device is in the database.
MAC_ADDRESS: using advertisement ZZZZZZZZ

WDS service unable to start

I have had a few issues with the WDS service not starting on some of my distribution points.

One server was easily fixed by checking and fixing the permissions for the SYSTEM account for the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 folder.

It needed to have Full Permissions to start. For some reason the permission was removed which caused the service to fail each time I started to fix it.


Another time I had this issue, it turned out to be a corrupt SQL computer account in the SCCM SQL database.

Each time I tried to start the WDS service under the System Account it would generate Failure Audit alerts in the Application Log:

Event Type:    Failure Audit
Event Category:          (4)
Event ID:         18456
Date:               3/12/2015
Time:               1:00:00 PM
User:               Domain\ComputerAccount$
Computer:       SCCMDB
Login failed for user ‘Domain\ComputerAccount$’. [CLIENT: x.x.x.x]

I removed the login for ComputerAccount$ from the SQL Management Studio and re-created it with the same permissions and the WDS service can now start.