- 1 Change the size of your desktop icons
- 2 Was this information helpful?
- 3 Thank you for your feedback!
- 4 How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
- 5 How to Change the Size of the Taskbar Icons
- 6 How to Change the Size of Icons in File Explorer
- 7 Customize Windows 10
- 8 How to Change Icon Size in Windows 10: Two Easy Ways
- 9 How do I resize desktop icons in Windows 10?
- 10 Change the size of Taskbar icons
- 11 Change the size of File Explorer icons
- 12 How to Change Icon Sizes on Windows 10
- 13 Resize Desktop Icons
- 14 Resize Taskbar Icons
- 15 Resize File Explorer Icons
- 16 How to change the size of your desktop icons on a Windows 10 computer
- 17 How to change your Taskbar icon size in Windows 10
- 18 Related coverage fromHow To Do Everything: Tech:
- 19 How to Change Icon Size in Windows 10
- 20 How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons and More on Windows 10
- 21 Change Icon Size on Windows 10
- 22 How to change font sizes and icon sizes in Windows 10
- 23 Method I: Use your Ctrl key and your mouse scroll
- 24 Method II: change the icons size from your Settings
- 25 Method III: Use.reg files
- 26 Method IV: Use the magnifier
- 27 Method V: the desktop context menu
- 28 Method VI: the easy way to resize icons within a single folder
- 29 A final tip: what about changing the whole resolution?
- 30 The Bottom Line
- 31 How To Make Desktop Icons Smaller in
- 32 Make Desktop Icons Smaller (or Larger) in Windows 10
- 33 Adjust Text Size, Running Apps, and Other Visuals
- 34 Adjust Icon Size within Windows Explorer
- 35 How to Change Icon Sizes in Windows 10
- 36 How to Change Desktop Icon Sizes in Windows 10
- 37 How to Change Windows 10 File Icon Sizes
- 38 3 Ways to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
- 39 Way 1: Resize Desktop Icons Using Scroll Wheel
- 40 Way 2: Resize Desktop Icons using Context Menu
- 41 Way 3: Change Desktop View Layout using Keyboard
- 42 How to Change Taskbar Icon Size in Taskbar Settings
- 43 How To Change Icon Size (Windows 10)
- 44 How to resize desktop icons in Windows 10
- 45 How to resize File Explorer icons in Windows 10
- 46 How to resize taskbar icons in Windows 10
- 47 Benefits of desktop personalization
- 48 Desktop personalization enhances the user experience
- 49 How to Change Desktop Icon Size and Taskbar Icon Size in Windows 10
- 50 How to Change Desktop Icon Size Using the Scroll Wheel
- 51 How to Change Desktop View Layout using Keyboard
- 52 How to Change Taskbar Icon Size in Taskbar Settings
- 53 How to Create a Desktop Shortcut and Fix Missing Icons
- 54 How to Customize Any Icon in Windows 10
- 55 Where to Find Custom Icons for Windows 10
- 56 How to Change Program Icons in Windows 10
- 57 How to Change Individual Folder Icons in Windows 10
- 58 How to Change File Icons by Type
- 59 How to Change Drive Icons in Windows
- 60 How to Create Blank Taskbar Icons
- 61 How to Change the Desktop Icon Size on Windows 10
- 62 Windows 10 Desktop Icons Missing?
- 63 Customize Every Icon in Windows
Change the size of your desktop icons
More.Less in Windows 10 Select View from the context menu of a right-click (or press and hold) on the desktop, then Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons to resize the desktop icons. SUBSCRIBE TO OUR RSS FEED
Need more help?
Improve your abilities. Investigate TrainingBe the first to know about new features. Become a member of the Microsoft Insiders program. A membership that will allow you to make the most of your time Try it for a month at no cost.
Was this information helpful?
Thank you very much! Do you have any more feedback? (The more information you provide, the better we can assist you.) Are you able to assist us in making improvements? (The more information you provide, the better we can assist you.) What factors have an impact on your experience? I was able to resolve my problem. Instructions that are unambiguous Simple to understand and follow There will be no jargon. Pictures were helpful in other ways. Incorrect instructions since they did not match my screen It’s far too technical.
There aren’t enough photographs.
Thank you for your feedback!
Wished Windows 10’s desktop icons could be a little bit bigger so you wouldn’t have to squint to see them, or that they were simpler to tap on a touch screen laptop? Perhaps you wish they were a little bit smaller so that the shortcuts didn’t take up as much space on your computer’s screen? No need to be concerned; we’ve put up a brief list of instructions that will show you how to modify the icon size in Windows 10.
How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
Using the right-click menu, select a blank place on the desktop. 2.From the contextual menu, choose View. 3.Choose from the following options: Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons. The icons are set to medium by default. On my laptop, which has a native resolution of 1600 by 900 pixels, the large choice appears enormous, the tiny option is too little, and the middle size appears just right (as Goldilocks would say). You may see different results based on the display resolution of your screen.
How to Change the Size of the Taskbar Icons
The icons in your taskbar may be changed in a different way than the text and other objects in Windows 10. This is accomplished through a distinct setting that affects the size of text, programs, and other items throughout the operating system. Using the right-click menu, select a blank place on the desktop. Choosing Display settings from the contextual menu is step two. 3.Change the size of text, applications, and other things by dragging the slider to one of the following values: 100 percent, 125 percent, 150 percent, or 175 percent.
Windows may prompt you to log out and back in again in order to provide a more consistent experience.
This will not only make the icons in the taskbar a little larger, but it will also make the text in programs such as Microsoft Edge and Calendar, as well as in Windows 10 notification windows, a little larger as well.
How to Change the Size of Icons in File Explorer
When viewing specific folders in File Explorer, you may adjust the size of the icons and thumbnails on the fly if you prefer larger or smaller icons or thumbnails. Simply go to your folder location and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in or out, effectively switching between Windows 10’s large icons, medium icons, tiny icons, list, details, tiles, and content views. Because this is a folder-specific parameter, you’ll have to alter it for each individual folder where you’d want different icon and text sizes, even if File Explorer remembers your last setting when you access this folder again.
Customize Windows 10
- Create your own custom keyboard shortcuts
- Make Windows 10 look and feel more like Windows 7
- And more. Change the default Windows font
- Disable notification and system sounds
- And change the default Windows language. Windows 10 allows you to customize your desktop background. Change the size of the icon
- The Dark Theme should be enabled in Windows 10. Create a Custom Windows 10 Theme for Free
- You can choose to have your name hidden on the login screen. Add a new column to the Start Menu’s drop-down menu. Get File Previews that Look and Feel Like a Mac
- Make a shortcut to My Computer on your desktop. Photo editing to make them suitable for use as backgrounds
- Colorize the accents
- Personalize the Autoplay Menu
- Fonts can be installed and deleted. Customize the Action Center’s appearance
- Transparency effects can be turned off. Classic Solitaire and Minesweeper are available for purchase. Customize the appearance of Windows 10 Books
- To the Taskbar, add a URL Field
- And Add Clocks from a variety of different time zones
- Re-establish the previous volume control
- Disable the Windows 10 startup delay by pressing F12. Add Quick Contacts to the Start Menu
- Make Hidden Files and Folders Visible
- Show Hidden Files and Folders Enable Spatial Sound in your browser. The Best Themes
- All of Windows 10’s Helpful Hints Change the background of the Login Screen
- Installing new desktop themes is a good idea.
How to Change Icon Size in Windows 10: Two Easy Ways
One of the most appealing aspects of using a computer is that it is, as the name implies, personal. In other words, it’s simple to personalize it to meet your specific requirements, especially when using Windows 10. There are two simple ways to adjust the size of your icons when customizing, and both are simple to accomplish. Continue reading to find out how to do it! Whether your icons are too large and taking up too much room, or they are too little and difficult to see, altering their size is straightforward and straightforward.
How do I resize desktop icons in Windows 10?
- Using the right-click menu on your desktop, select View. Small icons, medium icons, and large icons are all options.
Continue reading for further instructions as well as helpful screenshots!
Change the size of Taskbar icons
1. Right-click on any blank place on your desktop and select View from the drop-down menu that appears. 2. 2. Choose from the following options: Large icons, Medium icons, or Smaller icons. The size of your Taskbar icons will automatically adjust as a result of this modification.
Change the size of File Explorer icons
Start by right-clicking on any empty spot on the desktop and selectingDisplay settings from the drop-down menu that appears. Click the drop-down option underScale and layout to adjust the size of text, applications, and other things. 3. You have the option of selecting a percentage of 100 percent, 125 percent, 150 percent, or 175 percent. If you want to adjust the size of the File Explorer icons, as well as text and programs, clickApplyat the bottom of the window.
Customization is cool
Make your personal computer a reflection of you and your requirements! When it comes to the accessibility of your PC, changing the size of your icons may make a significant impact in how accessible your computer is. Provide feedback to your peers if you often use Windows 10 and let them know what you think! Mara Calvello works as a Content Marketing Manager at G2, where she has a particular interest in Human Resources and SaaS Administration. Elmhurst College awarded her a Bachelor of Arts degree in her final year.
She may be found at the gym, exploring the great outdoors with her rescue dog Zeke, eating delicious Italian food, or deep in the throes of a Harry Potter binge in her spare time.
How to Change Icon Sizes on Windows 10
Perhaps you’d prefer larger icons on your Windows 10 PC to assist you locate the information you’re looking for, or smaller icons to keep things compact and clean.
Fortunately, changing the size of icons on your desktop, taskbar, and File Explorer is a simple process.
Resize Desktop Icons
The icons on your desktop may be rapidly resized to fit into one of three accessible sizes if they are either too huge or too little. To begin, right-click anywhere on your computer’s desktop. Hover your mouse cursor on the word “View” in the context menu that opens. Large, medium, and small are the three sizes available in the sub-menu: you may select one from each of these options. You’ll notice a dot next to the current size when you’re finished. Select the desired size by clicking on it. However, if you find that the three options presented are not quite what you’re looking for and you want to make a more specific change to the desktop icons, you can place your cursor anywhere on the desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key, and then scroll your mouse wheel up or down to increase or decrease the size of the icons on the desktop.
Resize Taskbar Icons
While there is an option to change the size of the Taskbar icons in Windows’ Settings menu, the choices are limited to two options: standard and tiny. RELATED: How to Adjust the Height and Width of the Taskbar in Windows 10Right-click on the taskbar and select Properties. choose an empty place in the Taskbar by clicking on it. Select “Taskbar Settings” from the context menu that displays at the bottom of the screen. The Taskbar Preferences window will be shown. Toggle the slider to the “On” position under the “Use Small Taskbar Buttons” option, which is towards the top of the list of available options.
To return the icons to their original size, just return the slider to the “Off” position on your computer.
Resize File Explorer Icons
You may change the size of the icons in File Explorer to extra big, large, medium, or tiny, depending on your preference. To begin, launch File Explorer. Either the Windows+E keyboard shortcut or the File Explorer icon in the taskbar are available for accessing this feature. Then select the “View” tab from the drop-down menu. Make your selection in the “Layout” category based on the icon size that you want. The current setting is shown by a blue highlight. To change the icon size if one of the four options above does not meet your needs, click anywhere in File Explorer, hit and hold the Ctrl key for a few seconds, and then scroll your mouse wheel up or down to raise or reduce the icon size, as needed.
Simply said, that’s all there is to it.
You can also change the font size and even the size of the cursor in Windows 10.
IN CONNECTION WITH:How to Adjust the Screen Resolution in Windows 10
How to change the size of your desktop icons on a Windows 10 computer
- In a few simple steps, you can adjust the size of your desktop icons on a Windows 10 computer. You may change the size of shortcuts and taskbar icons by dragging the mouse cursor over the icon. The standard icon size is often medium in size. More information may be found on the Business Insider homepage.
A Windows 10computer offers a plethora of customization options that allow you to truly configure the computer to your liking. There are a plethora of options for customizing your Windows 10 computer, ranging from changing the backdrop of your desktop to altering the appearance of your cursor to changing your preferred browser. You may also change the size of the icon shortcuts that you create. It is possible to make your icons smaller in order to put more shortcuts on your desktop, or you may raise the size of icons so that you do not have to squint, and you can do it in a few simple steps.
This article will show you how to modify the size of your desktop or Taskbar icons on your Windows 10 PC.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
1.Start your Windows 10 computer and right-click anywhere on your desktop with your mouse to bring up the context menu. The “View” tab will show in the pop-up menu once you click on it. Three alternatives will be presented to you: large, medium, and tiny. Your computer’s icon size is normally set to a medium size by default. The size of your Windows 10 computer’s icons may be customized by selecting the appropriate option. The following image is courtesy of Taylor Lyles/Business Insider.
How to change your Taskbar icon size in Windows 10
1.Start your Windows 10 computer and right-click anywhere on your desktop with your mouse to bring up the context menu. 2.In the pop-up menu that appears, select “Display settings.” 3.Select “SelectLayout” from the “Display settings” menu, and then from the drop-down menu that appears, select the size you want your text, applications, and other random elements to be. The size may be changed by clicking on it, and the changes will take effect instantly. In “Display settings,” select the proportion of the screen that you want your text and applications to take up.
Related coverage fromHow To Do Everything: Tech:
Taylor Lyles is a Business Insider contributor who works as a freelance writer. When you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links, Insider Inc. earns a commission.
How to Change Icon Size in Windows 10
Windows 10 gives you the ability to customize the size of the Desktop, Taskbar, and File Explorer icons to fit your own preferences and needs. The procedures to change the icon size in Windows 10 may be found in the section below. Enhancing the visual impact of desktop icons on your computer by making them larger increases their visibility and makes it easier to tap on the programs and shortcuts icons (in case oftouch screencomputers). The inverse of this is true: you may wish to reduce the size of desktop icons in order to lessen the amount of screen space taken up by desktop icons on your computer’s screen.
1.Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
To modify the size of desktop icons on your computer, follow the instructions outlined in the following section. 1.Right-click anywhere on your computer’s desktop that isn’t already occupied. 2.In the pop-up menu that opens, pick theViewoption and then click onLarge icons to raise the icon size and Small icons to lower the icon size on your computer’s desktop. Please keep in mind that the default icon size is medium.
2. Change Icon Size in Windows 10 Using Mouse
In addition to the Ctrl button and the scroll wheel of your mouse, you may use these two keys to easily alter icon size in Windows 10. When you are working on your computer, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to enlarge or reduce the size of the desktop icons on your computer screen. The size of Desktop Icons rises as you scroll forward, whereas the size of Desktop Icons reduces as you browse backward.
3. Change Icon Size in Windows 10 to Custom Size
Alternatively, if you are dissatisfied with the big, medium, or small icon sizes that are currently available, you may modify the icon size in Windows 10 by following the procedures outlined below. To change the display settings of your computer, right-click on any empty place on your computer’s desktop and select Display Settings from the menu that displays. 2.On the Display Settings screen, select Advanced scaling options from the drop-down menu. 3.Enter the percentage you wish to use to raise the size of the icons on your computer on the following page, and then click onApply.
4.Click on the buttonSign out now to make the changed icon size permanent on your machine. In addition to changing the size of desktop icons, the actions outlined above will also modify the size of the taskbar and text in Microsoft Edge, Calendar, and other applications.
4. Decrease Taskbar Icon Size in Windows 10
The fact that altering the size of desktop icons does not modify the size of taskbar icons on your computer is something you should have observed. Allowing tiny icons to appear on the taskbar allows you to put more icons into the taskbar, which is useful if you have a limited amount of space. 1.Right-click on theTaskbarand selectTaskbar Settings from the context menu. Use tiny taskbar buttons is enabled by default on the following screen (see Figure 2). The taskbar icons will display in a tiny size on your computer screen soon after you complete this step.
5. Change the Size of Folder Icons in File Explorer
The size of the folders displayed in File Explorer windows may be customized to be large, medium, small, or thumbnails. 1.Right-click on the Startbutton and selectFile Explorer from the context menu. 2) Select your preferred folder size in the File Explorer window by clicking on the View tab in the File Explorer window. Note: You may also use the Ctrl Button and the mouse scroll wheel to cycle between the File Explorer views of Large Icons, Medium Icons, Small Icons, Details, and List views by pressing the Ctrl Button and the mouse scroll wheel.
- Instructions on how to change the text size in Windows 10
- Instructions on how to set up dual monitors in Windows 10
How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons and More on Windows 10
When it comes to the size of icons in Windows 10, there is no such thing as a “one size fits all.” Here’s how to adjust the size of the desktop and File Explorer icons. The screen resolution of whichever device you are using to run Windows 10 is generally well-adjusted by the operating system in general. You might want the shortcut icons to be larger than they now are, but one size does not fit all! Alternatively, you may find that there isn’t enough space on your desktop for everything and would like to make things smaller.
Change Icon Size on Windows 10
There are a few of different approaches you may take to change the size of desktop and File Explorer icons. If you want to alter the icon size quickly, hold down the Ctrl key while scrolling up or down with your mouse scroll wheel until you reach the desired size. It’s important to note that this method is compatible with prior versions of Windows as well. To adjust the size of desktop or File Explorer icons, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard while scrolling up or down. You may also right-click an empty desktop space and select View from the context menu, where you can choose between tiny, medium, and big icon sizes.
Changing icon sizes is accomplished first by selecting the View tab and then picking from the different sizes available in the Layout field.
In order to adjust the size of the icons on the Taskbar, you must right-click on it and choose Taskbar Settings from the context menu.
If you want to make nearly everything bigger, go to the System Display section of the Settings menu.
Then scroll down to the Scale and layout area and select a percentage from one of the drop-down selections in the drop-down menu. To fine-tune the size of icons, text, and other objects in the Windows 10 UI, select Custom scaling from the drop-down menu that appears beneath that option.
Knowing how to adjust the size of icons quickly and simply is a useful tip, whether you need to make things larger so that you can see them more clearly or want larger targets for Windows 10 touch. What are your thoughts? You may want to experiment with different icon sizes in Windows 10. Does the default icon size in Windows 10 work for you on your display, or do you want to change it? Please let us know by leaving a comment below.
How to change font sizes and icon sizes in Windows 10
Hello! Are you viewing this information on a Windows tablet with a screen size of 5 inches? Perhaps you’re using your 15-inch laptop? This article is intended for anyone who wishes to improve the visual experience on their Windows 10 device by following the instructions. As a result, we will walk you through the process of adjusting your resolution, typefaces, and icon size. Unfortunately, as part of the Fall Creators Update, Microsoft has deleted the old panel that allowed us to fully control every single font on the computer in the previous version of Windows.
As a result, we will make every effort to resolve this issue and to maintain as much control over the fonts and sizes as we possibly can.
So let’s get this party started!
Method I: Use your Ctrl key and your mouse scroll
Yes, this is the quickest and most straightforward method of changing the size of your icons:
- Holding down the Ctrl key while scrolling up will raise the size of the icons. Holding down the Ctrl key while scrolling down will make the icons smaller.
Method II: change the icons size from your Settings
You will be able to adjust the size of some text, windows, applications, and icons using this approach.
Method III: Use.reg files
In spite of the fact that Windows no longer allows you to do so in an intuitive manner, I discovered and tested various preconfigured.reg files that allow you to alter the font of certain areas of your display. And now I’ll show you how to make use of them, so pay attention:
- Choose the font size you like, as well as whether or not it is bold
- Once the.reg file has been downloaded, double-click on it to activate it. To enable it to make modifications to your computer, choose Yes. To confirm that you want to make changes to your Registry, click Yes. Now, click OK, and restart your computer to ensure that the modifications are effective. Keep in mind that the default font size is 9 without bold, and that if you increase the font size to the maximum (24 with bold), the result would look like this:
Method IV: Use the magnifier
This is a useful hack if you don’t want to be surrounded by large icons and fonts all of the time, but only portion of the time instead. The magnifier may now increase your whole screen or simply the portion of your screen where your mouse’s curses are located, and after you close it, it is no longer there. As a result, if you don’t like persistent increases in size, this is a temporary solution. Here’s how you can make advantage of it:
- Open your start menu, type magnifier, and there you have it, it’s right there for you to use. OR, just hit the Windows logo key (+) on your keyboard in conjunction with the Plus button (+). Using the magnifier in any of its three modes (Full Screen, Lens, Docked), which can be selected from the Viewmenu (Full Screen, Lens, Docked), you are now ready to begin working with it.
Mode I: Full screen
With the Plus or Minus buttons selected, the entire screen will be zoomed in or out, and you will be need to move your mouse around the screen’s edges in order to navigate around it.
Mode II: Lens
This will bring up a translucent rectangle that will only zoom in on the area inside of it when you click on it.
Mode III: Docked
This mode is a little difficult to master. It launches a new rectangular window at the top of your screen and enlarges the portion of your screen that your mouse is currently hovering on. In other words, you may enjoy both the conventional text and the zoomed-in text or photo at the same time. It is entirely up to you!
After all is said and done, you’ve seen the way by which you right-click on the desktop and then choose “Display settings.” But what if I told you that there is an even more straightforward technique than that, even if you believe it to be a bit less accurate in other ways? Try it right now: instead of right-clicking on your desktop, hover your mouse cursor over the “view” option. Following that, the menu will expand, and you’ll be presented with the options for large, medium, and tiny icon sizes.
Despite the fact that it does not enable you to fine-tune the icon size as you would while holding down the control key and using the mouse scroll wheel, it is one of the quickest ways to adjust the icon size.
Method VI: the easy way to resize icons within a single folder
So, let’s assume you just want to change the size of the icons for files and subfolders that are included within a particular folder. You’re in luck since File Explorer allows you to do just that. Expand the icons in File Explorer by going to the home folder in File Explorer, clicking the ellipsis (three dots) on the toolbar, and then selecting the folder size that is appropriate for your needs. Extra big icons are available to you in File Explorer if you choose to use them.
A final tip: what about changing the whole resolution?
Fonts, icon sizes, and the size of applications will all change when the resolution is changed. Change the resolution from the list on the same display settings page (from method II) as you did in approach I. Don’t forget that you can always find aRecommendedresolution marked in the list; if you haven’t tried it previously, be sure to do so now because that is the native resolution of your monitor.
The Bottom Line
The majority of the time, you already know how to adjust the font size of desktop and folder icons in both Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Windows 11 operating systems. And, guess what? A huge number of these ways are also compatible with previous versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and Windows 8 or 8.1. So go ahead and put them to the test. There’s practically nothing you can break by experimenting with any of these techniques. They are all excellent in their own way, and I encourage you to investigate all of these alternatives, as well as the many others that contemporary Windows may provide.
How To Make Desktop Icons Smaller in
One of the most appealing aspects of Windows is that it can be customized virtually limitless to look and feel exactly the way you want it to. Despite the fact that the default settings are generally satisfactory, there is always space for improvement. Such, what is the best way to configure your computer so that desktop icons are smaller? This guide will lead you through the process of shrinking those icons, as well as how to relocate, edit, and remove them.
Make Desktop Icons Smaller (or Larger) in Windows 10
There are three preconfigured settings available in Windows 10 for shrinking desktop icons to a more manageable size. You may also use the scroll wheel on your mouse to change the size of the font.
Choose Icon Size from Three Predefined Options
- Right-click on an empty space on your Windows 10 desktop and select “Run as administrator.” Select“View.”
- Select one of the pre-defined alternatives, such as “Small icons,” “Medium icons,” or “Large icons.”
Use Your Mouse’s Scroll Wheel to Adjust Icon Size
The following are the methods to resize desktop icons using your PC’s mouse:
- Hover the mouse pointer over an empty area of the desktop
- And To alter the size of the Windows 10 desktop icons, hold down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard and scroll your “mouse wheel” forward and backward. Remember that this does not affect the text size or the appearance of any other pictures.
Use Laptop’s/Netbook’s Touchpad to Adjust Icon Size
In order to resize desktop icons using the touchpad or touchscreen on your laptop, follow these steps:
- Place two fingers (typically your thumb and index finger) on the trackpad from anywhere on the desktop to gradually increase or decrease the icon size
- This can be done from any area on the desktop. You can keep repeating the method till you obtain the required icon size on the touchpad if you run out of space on the touchpad.
Because they are no longer limited to three predefined sizes, resizing Windows 10 icons with the mouse wheel or touchpad provides greater control than before. To get the optimum fit for your desktop, you may experiment with these three scaling choices.
Adjust Text Size, Running Apps, and Other Visuals
If you’re interested in personalizing your desktop, you may also modify the size of the text and other graphical things, in addition to the icons themselves, if you choose. This procedure is applicable to all applications, windows, and screen views on the computer.
- Navigate to System-Display-Settings in the Settings menu. Modify the slider next to the phrase ‘Change the size of text.’ Slide it up to make everything larger, or slide it down to make everything smaller, as desired. Once you’re satisfied, clickApply.
Your screen resolution will stay unchanged, but the size of the things displayed will increase or decrease depending on the option you choose. Originally intended to make items on the screen easier to view, it has proven to be effective in a variety of other applications as well! Text scaling is compatible with the vast majority of Windows applications, but not all of them.
In the event that an application is totally compatible with Windows 10, it will function properly. If an application is not 100 percent compatible with Windows, the operating system may attempt to rescale it to fit or may just ignore it.
Adjust Icon Size within Windows Explorer
You may also customize the appearance of files and folders within the Windows 10 File Explorer.
- Windows Explorer should be opened, and View should be selected from the top menu. Alternatively, choose an option from the ribbon menu that displays just beneath it. If you like, you may also utilize theCtrlandmouse scroll wheeltrick once more.
As you can see from the information provided above, there are an endless number of configuration possibilities available for your system. Whether you want tiny icons to save some and keep your gorgeous backgrounds, or larger icons to view them more clearly, Windows 10 provides a plethora of options for you! If you want to modify the appearance of any hard or soft link icons as well, you may edit desktop shortcut arrows to meet your specific requirements.
How to Change Icon Sizes in Windows 10
- To change the size of desktop icons, right-click on the desktop and select View > Icon Size from the drop-down menu. Change the size of the file icon: Select Start-File Explorer-View-Layout from the Start menu. Choose an icon size from the drop-down menu.
It is explained in this post how to alter the size of icons on the desktop and in File Explorer in Windows 10.
How to Change Desktop Icon Sizes in Windows 10
Your desktop is a feature of Windows 10 that has shortcuts to the Recycle Bin as well as shortcuts to your favorite applications. These shortcuts are represented by icons, which may be scaled up or down to suit your preferences and requirements.
- To bring up a menu on the Windows 10 desktop, right-click anywhere on the screen. To alter the size of the icons on your desktop, selectView and then Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons from the drop-down menu. A black dot appears next to your current Windows 10 icon size option in the menu
- When you pick an icon size, the icons on your desktop will automatically shrink to fit the new size. If you want your icons to appear exactly the way you want them to, you may repeat this step as many times as necessary.
How to Change Windows 10 File Icon Sizes
In the File Explorer on your Windows 10 device, or while looking for a file to publish to an app or website such asTwitter, Instagram, or Twitch, it might be useful to alter the size of the item icons to make it simpler for you to find the file you’re looking for.
- File Explorer may be accessed from the Windows 10 Start Menu. In certain cases, the link to File Explorer may display as a little icon that appears like a folder, depending on your Start Menu configuration. To access File Explorer, you may alternatively put ” File Explorer ” into the Windows search box and hit Enter. Click on the View tab in the File Explorer window to expand it. In theLayoutsection, selectExtra big icons, Large icons, Medium-sized icons, Small icons, List, Details, Tiles, and Content from the drop-down menu. As you go, all of the icons provide a preview of the selected size, allowing you to see how each choice will appear. Choose the icon size to which you wish to apply it.
In the File Explorer, your icon size settings are applied to individual folders. In order to have theExtra big iconsoption activated for every folder, you will need to update the options for each folder one by one manually. Thank you for informing us about this!
3 Ways to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
Modify the size of desktop icons, adjust the display layout of the Desktop using the Keyboard, and change the size of a taskbar button in Windows 10. This article shows how to do so in Windows 10.
Way 1: Resize Desktop Icons Using Scroll Wheel
In order to resize desktop icons, you should utilize the scroll wheel on your mouse. Here’s how it’s done: To make icons larger or smaller on the desktop, hold down the Ctrl key while scrolling the mouse wheel in either direction.
Way 2: Resize Desktop Icons using Context Menu
The Desktop context menu may be used to resize desktop icons. Here’s how it’s done: Large icons, medium icons, and small icons may all be selected by right-clicking the desktop and selecting View from the drop-down menu.
Way 3: Change Desktop View Layout using Keyboard
Here’s how to alter the Desktop’s display layout using the keyboard shortcuts: Hold the Shift and Ctrl keys down while pressing a number key from 1 to 8 until you have the desktop arrangement you desire, and then release the Shift and Ctrl buttons.
How to Change Taskbar Icon Size in Taskbar Settings
Because the taskbar icons are so little, you may wish to make them look larger on the taskbar. Here’s how to change the size of the taskbar icons in Windows 10: Step 1: Select Taskbar Settings from the context menu of a right-clicked empty area on the taskbar. Step 2: In the Settings menu, choose theUse tiny iconsbutton option. Here’s how to modify the size of the taskbar icons in Windows 7: In the taskbar, right-click on an empty spot and pick Properties from the context menu. Step 1: To do this, go to the Taskbar tab and clear the Use tiny icons checkbox.
How To Change Icon Size (Windows 10)
Increasing the size of your computer’s desktop, taskbar, and File Explorer icons is a simple yet effective computer personalization method that helps to simplify your computer’s desktop and taskbar icons.
Learn how to adjust the size of the icons on your computer screen in order to save time searching for apps, files, and other items on your computer screen. We’ll learn the following things in this step-by-step guide:
- What is the best way to resize desktop icons in Windows 10? What you need to know about resizing File Explorer icons in Windows 10
- What is the best way to resize taskbar icons in Windows 10? The advantages of customizing your desktop
- Personalization of the desktop improves the overall user experience.
How to resize desktop icons in Windows 10
Desktop icons sometimes take up an excessive amount of screen space, leading to the appearance of desktop clutter. To resize desktop icons in Windows 10 and organize your workspace, follow these steps:
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop that has a blank area
- Select “View” from the menu bar, and then from the drop-down menu, select the icon size you like (big, medium, or tiny). Following your pick, the icon size you have chosen will be applied to your desktop right away. The “View” option may be accessed by right-clicking on the desktop (Source: All photos are taken from the author’s own device)
How to resize File Explorer icons in Windows 10
Changing the size of File Explorer icons may be done either directly from the File Explorer “View” tab or by going to the “Display settings” menu.
Resize File Explorer icons using the “View” tab
The following instructions will show you how to resize File Explorer icons on your Windows 10 computer by utilizing the “View” tab:
- To access the File Explorer application, click the magnifying glass icon in the lower-right corner of the taskbar and type “File Explorer” into the search box that appears. In the search field, type “File Explorer” to find it. To access icon sizing settings, pick the “View” tab from the menu bar. To access icon sizing settings, use the “View” tab from the menu bar. Choose an icon size from the “Layout” panel, which has four options: extra big, large, medium, and tiny. Following your selection of an icon size, you will be able to use it instantly. From the “Layout” panel, choose an icon size that you like.
Resize File Explorer icons using display settings
The “Display settings” option in Windows 10 allows you to customize the size of text, programs, and other elements on your screen (including File Explorer icons) to make your Windows 10 experience even better. Keep in mind that any changes you make to these settings will have an impact on what you see on the screen. The following are the procedures to be followed:
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop that has a blank area. Select “Display settings” from the menu bar
- A “Settings” box will appear
- Click “OK.” To access “Display settings,” right-click on the desktop and select “Display settings.” Scroll down to the section under “Scale and layout.” From the drop-down menu, pick the font size you prefer for text, applications, and other objects by clicking the down arrow. The objects on the screen will automatically change to the size you have selected after you have made your selection. It is possible that you may need to restart Windows in order for all of your changes to take effect. Select your preferred text, app, and other item sizes from the drop-down menu
How to resize taskbar icons in Windows 10
You can adjust taskbar icons in the same way that you can resize desktop icons to reduce clutter or create a more personalized Windows 10 experience. It is important to note that with this method of resizing taskbar icons, you can only lower the size of the icons, not increase their size. Users are unable to increase taskbar icons in Windows 10 at the present time. Toggling between small and normal-sized taskbar icons may be accomplished by doing the following steps:
- To access Windows 10 settings, start by clicking the “Start” button on your Windows 10 desktop, then click the “Settings” icon to the right of the Start button. Open “Settings” by clicking “Start” and then “Settings”
- To access the customisation choices, navigate to the “Windows Settings” panel and choose “Personalization.” Select “Personalization” from the “Settings” drop-down list. To utilize tiny-sized icons, choose the “Taskbar” tab and then the “Use small taskbar buttons” switch to the right of the tab. Select the “Use tiny taskbar buttons” option from the “Taskbar” drop-down menu.
Benefits of desktop personalization
Setting up a computer to be one size fits all might reduce productivity and make working digitally a miserable experience. Desktop personalisation is a method of optimizing computers in order to guarantee that end users have a favorable experience. Windows 10 allows you to customize your computer in a variety of ways to make it more user-friendly. There are many other types of customizing features available, including but not limited to screen resolution, font characteristics, mouse settings, and screen color depth to name a few examples.
Desktop personalization enhances the user experience
Windows 10 icon sizes may be customized to enhance your desktop experience while also increasing productivity by minimizing the time spent scrolling through small, difficult-to-read icons or rearranging icons that just take up too much space on the screen. Looking for desktop customization software? Look no further. Visit Software Advice’sdesktop as a service (DaaS) website to learn more about the best-rated software alternatives available right now. The following sources were utilized to write this article:
How to Change Desktop Icon Size and Taskbar Icon Size in Windows 10
Desktop icons, whether you like them or despise them, are an important element of how many people interact with their operating system. Their default size, on the other hand, is not suitable for everyone. Your desktop icons may need to be smaller in order to accommodate more on your screen, or they may need to be larger if your screen has a high quality or if you have impaired vision. Therefore, we’ll demonstrate how to modify the size of your desktop icons in Windows 10 today, as a consequence.
This is because there’s a strong chance you’ll want to change both.
How to reduce the size of icons on the desktop or taskbar Today, we’ll show you three different ways to make desktop icons smaller or larger: one that utilizes the mouse, one that uses the keyboard, and one that uses both the mouse and the keyboard.
Despite the fact that there are a handful of ways to adjust the size of the taskbar icon, we’ll stick to one – the quickest and most straightforward. Let’s get this party started:
How to Change Desktop Icon Size Using the Scroll Wheel
When it comes to making desktop icons smaller or larger, using the scroll wheel on your mouse is probably the quickest method. In example, if you have a physical mouse rather than a touchpad, this is a good option to consider. Simply pressing a certain button on your keyboard while scrolling will suffice. For example,
- Press and hold the Ctrl key while scrolling your mouse wheel. Of course, you must be gazing at your desktop screen at all times in order for this to operate properly. Because there are so many icons, you should be able to pick one that you like. The icons will change in size in increments, but there are a lot of them.
If you prefer to work with a mouse, you may utilize the context menu to select between the pre-set small, medium, and big desktop icon sizes, depending on your preference. Here’s how it’s done:
- Viewx icons may be accessed by selecting “Viewx icons” from the context menu of your desktop. If you want your icons to be smaller, medium, or larger, simply replace the x with the size you want. You can try several combinations until you discover the one you like best.
How to Change Desktop View Layout using Keyboard
Alternatively, you may modify the layout of your desktop view using only the keyboard, which will have a similar impact to changing the size of your desktop icons. Here’s a quick and easy way to accomplish this:
- To adjust the size of an icon, hold down Ctrl + Shift + a number. The primary difference between changing the view layout and changing icon size usually is that the lowest sizes will exhibit your icons in a list style with file size, date, and other information displayed alongside them. If you have a large number of icons or files, this can be really beneficial.
How to Change Taskbar Icon Size in Taskbar Settings
After you’ve finished, you’re undoubtedly wondering how to make taskbar icons bigger or smaller in Windows 10 to match the size of your screen. The procedure is straightforward, and it will also allow you to customize the size of your taskbar to meet your needs. Here’s how to go about it:
- Right-click the empty area on your taskbar and select “More options.” The taskbar settings may be found in the context menu. Toggle the “Use tiny taskbar button” option on or off
- If it is currently on, just turn off the option.
How to Create a Desktop Shortcut and Fix Missing Icons
To be sure, understanding how to adjust desktop icon size isn’t much use if you don’t know how to create the icons themselves in the first instance. It’s possible to accomplish this by following our instruction on how to build a desktop shortcut. It’s possible that after scaling your icons you may see that some of them are blank; in that case, you can use ourfix missing icons and thumbnailsguide instead. Advertisement
How to Customize Any Icon in Windows 10
While the default Windows icons are functional, they aren’t especially eye-catching or memorable. If you want to give your computer a more personal touch, altering the icons on your desktop in Windows 10 is a terrific method to do it. We’ll teach you how to customize the icons on your Windows 10 computer, including application and folder icon customization. With a little effort, you’ll have a whole different UI!
Where to Find Custom Icons for Windows 10
Before you begin altering the icons on your Windows 10 desktop, you’ll need some new icons to use in their place. The operating system has a few new icons, although they aren’t particularly attractive. Flaticon is a fantastic resource for any and all of your Windows icon requirements. Over a million high-quality icons are available on the site, which are organized into thousands of simple packs. You may either download a whole icon set at once or download individual icons. Downloads are available from the site in a variety of formats.
PNG Iconsor something similar should be used to organize all of your raw downloads.
Also, in the past, we’ve looked at some excellent Windows icon packages.
Converting PNG Images to ICO Icons
When it comes to icons, Windows makes use of ICO files. As a result, photos in PNG (or other formats) will need to be converted before they can be used as icon images. ConvertICOprovides a simple method for accomplishing this. You may convert up to 50 PNG pictures at a time into the ICO format by uploading them all together. If you like, you may simply input the URL of a picture you wish to convert, which would save you the step of downloading the PNG file in the midst of the process.
Maintain a separate folder for each of your ICO files. Make sure you store this somewhere permanent, as transferring icon files after they have been allocated will result in difficulties.
How to Change Program Icons in Windows 10
A shortcut program icon can be changed in Windows 10, however the main executable program icon cannot be changed in Windows 10. As a result, if you don’t already have one, you need create a desktop shortcut for the application icon you wish to update. To accomplish this, first search for an application in the Start menu, then right-click its name and select Open file location from the context menu. Right-click the application name in the generated folder and select “Send to Desktop” from the context menu (create shortcut).
To open a new window, right-click it and selectProperties from the context menu.
If there are any alternative icons provided in the program, you’ll be shown with a list of them.
Double-click one to select it, and then pick OK on both of the dialog boxes that appear.
Pinning Custom Icons to the Taskbar
Do you want to personalize the icons that appear on your Taskbar as well? The quickest and most straightforward method to accomplish this is to follow the procedures outlined above for creating custom desktop icons. After that, just right-click a shortcut and selectPin to Taskbar from the context menu. Alternatively, you may alter an icon that has already been pinned to your Taskbar. While holding the Shift key, right-click the program icon and selectProperties from the menu. From here, you may proceed in the same manner as described above to create a new icon.
How to Change Individual Folder Icons in Windows 10
Changing the icon for a folder is quite similar to the technique described above. Right-click the folder you’d like to edit and selectProperties from the context menu. Switch to theCustomizetab on the resultant window that appears. Choose a new icon from your computer by clicking on theChange Iconbutton at the bottom of the page. Windows supplies a plethora of default icons for this purpose, but the most of them are out of date and unattractive. Instead, pressBrowset to go to your own icons. Open this box and selectRestore Defaultsto revert to the default icon if you ever change your mind about it.
How to Change All Windows Folder Icons at Once
Do you want to change the icons for all of the regular folders on your computer with a single click? You’ll have to rummage into the Registry to do this. Keep in mind that doing so has the potential to do damage to your system, so proceed with caution if you choose to do so. To begin, go to the Start menu and typeregedit to bring up the program. To proceed, you’ll need to provide administrator rights to the website. Navigate to the following place on your computer: HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer Now, on the left navigation tree, right-click on theExplorerfolder and pick NewKey from the context menu.
- Right-click in the empty spot on the right and select NewExpandable String Value from the context menu.
- Repeat this process to produce a second string named4.
- In theValue datafield, type the path to the location of your folder icon enclosed in quotation marks.
- A folder.ico file should be located in the following location: “C:UsersUserDocumentsICO Iconsfolder.ico” Repetition of step 4 for the fourth string is required.
- If your modifications do not appear to be taking effect when you open a new File Explorer window, you will need to restart File Explorer in order for them to take effect.
- If more information is required, clickMore details.
- Select Restart from the context menu of the right-clicked item.
- Remove theShell IconsRegistry key that you added to prevent this from happening again in the future.
Although we found this strategy to be effective in Windows 10 version 20H2, some users have complained that it has had no impact on them. As a result, your results may vary based on the version of Windows 10 you use.
How to Change File Icons by Type
Normally, Windows displays an icon representing the default software for each file type. The icon for any file type may be changed with the use of a free application calledFileTypesMan, which can be downloaded from the Internet. After you’ve downloaded and installed it, use the Ctrl + F keys to go to the file type you wish to modify. It will appear in the list, and clicking on it will open a new window with many additional possibilities. You’ll see an a.button right next to theDefault Iconfield.
Even if they open in the same software, you may distinguish between different file kinds by using different icons created in this manner.
How to Change Drive Icons in Windows
Do you want to customize the icons that appear on your computer’s desktop for the various computer drives? This is made simple with a free tool called Drive Icon Changer. It’s similar to the previously mentioned FileTypesMan, but it’s much more straightforward. Simply choose a disk and the icon you want to use, and it will automatically make the changes following a restart. That is all that is required.
How to Create Blank Taskbar Icons
All of your Taskbar icons are typically shown next to each other on your screen. In order to provide some more space, such as to separate icon types, there is a workaround that you may use in this situation.
Creating Dummy Batch Files
To begin, create a new folder at a location where you will be able to store it indefinitely. It should be called Spaces or something like. Within this folder, right-click once more and select NewText document from the menu. To open the file, simply double-click it. Enter the following information into the text file. This will produce a batch file that is a dummy; when you click on it, it will quickly open and exit a Command Prompt window, as seen below. @echo off of the exit After that, select FileSave As from the menu bar.
Set Up a Blank Icon
Windows is pre-installed with blank icons. However, according to our research, they might display on your Taskbar as black squares rather than clear boxes, which is not ideal. As a result, you’ll need to create your own “blank” symbol as soon as possible. Create a completely square canvas in an image editor (we usedPaint.NET) by typing the following code: It will operate with a resolution of 256×256. To select the entire image, pressCtrl + At, then pressDel to delete the selection. When saved as a PNG, this will result in the creation of a translucent square.
Consequently, you must choose thePenciltool, zoom in, and draw a single pixel in a corner of the picture using the Penciltool.
When it is shown on your Taskbar, it will appear to be completely invisible. The file should be saved as a PNG, and then it should be converted into an ICO file using an internet converter such as the one stated above.
Creating and Pinning Shortcuts
In order to alter the icon, right-click each Spacefile you created and selectCreate shortcut. This is because you will need a shortcut, not the main BAT file, in order to do so. Right-click each shortcut file and selectProperties. Then click theChange Iconbutton to pick your new blank icon from the drop-down menu that appears. After you’ve completed this step, you’ll need to add one more element to your project in order to add these shortcuts to your Taskbar. Each BAT file’sShortcuttab should include the word explorer in front of everything in theTargetbox.
You can now right-click all of yourSpacefiles and selectPin to taskbar from the context menu.
How to Change the Desktop Icon Size on Windows 10
You just want to change the size of the Windows 10 icons that appear on your desktop. That is a straightforward repair. On the desktop, you may pick Small icons, Medium icons, or Large icons by right-clicking any empty spot and choosing View from the context menu. If you don’t like one of the presets, you may change it by holding down the Ctrl key and moving your mouse wheel. This allows you to have more precise control over the icon size. More size options are available in a File Explorer window by selecting View from the menu bar.
Windows 10 Desktop Icons Missing?
In the event that you do not see any icons on your desktop, it’s likely that you have removed them entirely from view. It only takes a couple of clicks to get them back. Right-click anywhere on your desktop and then selectViewShow desktop icons if it is not already selected from the context menu. With this enabled, you should be able to see all of your desktop icons without any difficulty. If this does not resolve your issue, it is possible that your computer is operating in tablet mode, which stops your desktop icons from appearing.
To finish up, if you’ve lost access to the default Windows 10 system icons, you’ll need to restore them from a different menu.
This will open a new window in which you may toggle the icons forThis PC, your user folder, Network, Control Panel, and theRecycle Bin by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard.
Customize Every Icon in Windows
You should now be able to customize practically every icon on your Windows operating system. To personalize your computer in an enjoyable way, whether you want to totally rebuild everything or just alter a few shortcut icons, you have the tools you need. The good news is that if you enjoy customization, the fun doesn’t stop here. It is possible to change the appearance and feel of your Windows environment in a variety of various ways. Change the look and feel of your Windows 10 desktop by following these steps.
Make Windows 10 your own by customizing it with these basic settings.
Ben Stegner is a writer and poet (1789 Articles Published) At MakeUseOf, Ben serves as the Editor in Chief.
In 2016, he quit his IT career to pursue writing full-time, and he hasn’t looked back since. He has been working as a professional writer for almost seven years, covering topics such as technology lessons, video game recommendations, and more. Ben Stegner has more to say.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive tech tips, reviews, free ebooks, and special offers! To become a subscriber, please visit this page.