- 1 Download Windows 10
- 2 How to Install Windows 10 on Your PC
- 3 How to Get a Windows 10 License
- 4 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8
- 5 How to Get Installation Media and Do a Clean Install of Windows 10
- 6 How to Reinstall Windows 10 on a PC That Already Has Windows 10
- 7 How to install Windows 10 on a new PC using a USB drive
- 8 Minimum System requirements
- 9 How to prepare your Windows 10 files for Installation
- 10 How to install Windows 10 using USB drive
- 11 Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
- 12 How to download Windows 10 for free
- 13 How to install Windows 10 onto a new computer using a USB drive
- 14 How to Download Windows 10 for Free
- 15 How to Download Windows 10 for Free
- 16 Product keys and digital licenses
- 17 How to download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool
- 18 Other methods for getting Windows 10
- 19 Upgrade from Windows 7
- 20 Download Windows 10 without activating
- 21 Buy a third-party Windows 10 key
- 22 How to download a Windows 10 ISO file without using the Media Creation Tool
- 23 How to download Windows ISO files without using the Media Creation Tool
- 24 Also see
- 25 How to download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
- 26 Method 1: Use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO
- 27 Method 2: Download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
- 28 What should you do with the ISO?
- 29 How to download older ISO versions of Windows 10 • Pureinfotech
- 30 Download older versions of Windows 10 using Rufus
Download Windows 10
Using the ISO file for Windows 10 that you downloaded, the file is saved locally in the directory that you specified. You can open the ISO file by going to the location where the file is saved and double-clicking it, or you can right-click the ISO file and selectOpen withand select your preferred DVD burning software from the drop-down menu. If you have a third-party DVD burning program installed on your computer that you prefer to use for creating the installation DVD, you can open that program by going to the location where the file is saved and double-clicking it.
If you wish to use the Windows Disk Image Burner to produce an installation DVD, you must first locate the location where the ISO file is kept.
Choosing Windows Explorer as the software to open ISO files from the General tab by clickingChange and then selectingApply is a good place to start.
The ISO file may be mounted in order to install Windows 10 directly from it, rather than via a DVD or flash drive, if that is what you want.
To mount the ISO file, follow these steps:
- Enter the place where the ISO file is saved, right-click the ISO file, and selectProperties from the drop-down menu
- To change the software that will be used to open ISO files, pick Windows Explorer from the Change. drop-down menu and then clickApply
- Mount the ISO file by selecting it from the context menu of the right-clicking mouse. To examine the files included within the ISO file, double-click on it. To begin the Windows 10 installation process, double-click setup.exe.
How to Install Windows 10 on Your PC
The process of installing Windows 10 on your computer is similar whether you’re upgrading from Windows 7 or 8, installing a new operating system from scratch, or reinstalling an older version of the operating system on your computer. A free Windows 10 upgrade license is still available, and there are still methods to obtain one.
How to Get a Windows 10 License
IN CONNECTION WITH: All the Ways You Can Still Get a Free Upgrade to Windows 10 There are a number of different methods to obtain a Windows 10 license for your computer, and many of them are still completely free.
- Upgrade from Windows 7 or 8: Microsoft is still offering a free Windows 10 upgrade to PC customers who make use of accessibility capabilities on their computers. Also still available is the option of installing Windows 10, then entering a valid Windows 7 or 8 product key in the installer to acquire a free Windows 10 upgrade license. Once you’ve completed the upgrade once, your computer will have a perpetual Windows 10 license. As a result, if you upgraded to Windows 10 when it was first introduced and then reduced shortly thereafter, you are still eligible to receive a free upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft’s servers maintain the licensing information connected with your computer. Purchase a new PC that comes pre-installed with Windows 10: If your computer was pre-installed with Windows 10, it is likely to have a licensing key built in its UEFI firmware. The license was purchased by the manufacturer, and you may reinstall Windows 10 on the computer without having to enter the key. The key for Windows 10 will be obtained from a chip on the motherboard by the installer. Obtain a Windows 10 license by following the steps outlined below: In the same way that you could acquire a license for prior versions of Windows, if you’re constructing your own PC and don’t yet have an operating system, you may do so with Windows 10. Do not purchase a license: You may also install Windows 10 without the need to enter a license key. Despite the fact that you’ll encounter alerts stating that your Windows 10 system is not licensed and has to be activated, the machine will still be fully functional. The Store inside Windows 10 allows you to acquire a valid Windows 10 license, which will transform your computer into a legally licensed Windows 10 PC. Without initially purchasing Windows 10, this is a quick way to test out the operating system on a PC.
Once you’ve determined which approach is going to work best for you, move on to one of the stages below to complete the Windows 10 installation.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8
You may still get Windows 10 for free at Microsoft’s Accessibility Site, which is linked above. If you already have Windows 7 or 8.1 installed on your computer, you may use Microsoft’s upgrade program to install Windows 10 on your computer. This will also make it feasible to downgrade and return to Windows 7 or 8.1 once you have completed the update if you do not like what you have seen so far. If you want to take advantage of the Assistive Technologies offer, all you have to do is download the tool from the Assistive Technologies website and follow the wizard instructions.
The deal for Assistive Technologies will be available until December 31, 2017.
Use the Download Windows 10 tool if you’re upgrading to Windows 10 for a different reason, such as if you’ve already updated to Windows 10 on the present PC and it already has a valid license.
The program you choose will download the Windows 10 installation files and start the installation process for you automatically.
How to Get Installation Media and Do a Clean Install of Windows 10
RELATED:The Quick and Easy Way to Perform a Clean Installation of Windows 10 If you don’t want to upgrade from an existing Windows installation, you may get the official Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft for free and do a clean install instead of upgrading from an existing Windows installation. To do so, go to Microsoft’s Download Windows 10 website, select “Download Tool Now,” and then launch the file that has been downloaded. Select “Create installation media for a different PC” from the drop-down menu.
- If you’re installing it on a computer that has a 64-bit processor, you’ll almost certainly want the 64-bit version.
- If you don’t know what sort of CPU your computer has off the top of your head, you can look it up online.
- You will be able to copy the Windows 10 installation files to a USB device or burn them to a DVD with the help of this utility.
- As part of this process, any files stored on the USB device will be permanently deleted.
- When you run the program, it will download an ISO file, which you can then boot into a virtual machine and use to install Windows 10 on the host computer.
- Following the creation of installation media, you will need to insert it into the computer on which you wish to install Windows 10.
- It may be necessary to adjust the boot order in your PC’s BIOS or UEFI firmware to do this.
- To proceed, use the “Next” button.
- When you view the Activate Windows page, you’ll be prompted to input a key or choose to bypass it entirely.
- If this is the first time you’ve installed and activated Windows 10 on this machine, input your Windows 10 activation key here. You can use your valid Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key instead if you don’t have one. The option “I don’t have a product key” will appear if you have already taken advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer on this computer. Once Windows is installed, it will automatically activate using a “digital license” connected with your PC’s hardware on Microsoft’s servers
- Once Windows is activated, it will remain active.
When you get to the “Which sort of installation do you want?” page, select “Custom” to execute a clean installation that will wipe everything from your computer and restart it. (If you’ve changed your mind and wish to upgrade your current installation, you can do so by selecting “Upgrade.”) On the following page, choose the hard disk that you wish to use to install Windows and click Erase. In the event that you have additional partitions on that disk, you may wish to delete them all as well. Warning: When you erase a partition, you are also erasing all of the files that were previously stored on that particular sector.
Following the completion of the partition erasure process, you should have a large block of “Unallocated Space.” Choose that, then click “New,” and once it has finished formatting your drive, click Next.
Upon completion, you’ll see the standard setup page that you see when installing Windows 10 on a new computer, where you can create user accounts and modify a variety of other options.
How to Reinstall Windows 10 on a PC That Already Has Windows 10
IN CONNECTION WITH: How to Reinstall Windows 10 Easily Without the Bloatware You may also do a clean install of Windows 10 if you already have the operating system installed on your computer. The Creators Update for Windows 10 makes it much simpler to reinstall the operating system from scratch. You may utilize the “Fresh start” option in Windows Defender to acquire an entirely new Windows 10 system that has been downloaded directly from Microsoft. While the standardRefreshandResetoptions retain any software that your PC manufacturer added, this will completely remove all of that crap and leaving you with a completely fresh Windows 10 machine.
You will not be required to provide a license key throughout this procedure, regardless of whether your PC came pre-loaded with a Windows 10 license or if you already took advantage of the free upgrade offer.
How to install Windows 10 on a new PC using a USB drive
It used to be that you had to copy the Windows installation files on a CD or DVD before you could start using the computer. With the advancement of technology, the process of installing Windows 10 has become simpler. If you want to accomplish the same thing, you’ll need a USB flash drive as well as another computer with internet connectivity. Installing Windows 10 on a new computer is as simple as downloading a copy of the installation files on a USB flash drive and inserting it into the device.
Here’s all you need to know about it.
Minimum System requirements
It is not necessary to have access to a powerful machine in order to run Windows 10 on your PC in order to get it installed and functioning. As far as the processor is concerned, you will want a computer with a 1 GHz or higher processor to complete the task. If you intend to install the 32-bit version of Windows 10, you will require at least 1 GB of free space on your hard drive. For the 64-bit version of Windows 10, on the other hand, you will want 2 GB of available memory. As with the 32-bit version of Windows 10, you will want 16 GB or more free space on your hard drive, and at least 20 GB free space on your hard drive for the 64-bit version of Windows 10.
In terms of resolution, your display should be capable of supporting at least 800600 pixels.
Note:While Windows 10 is free to download and install, you will need to pay for an activation key in order to use all of its features once it has been successfully installed.
How to prepare your Windows 10 files for Installation
You’ll need a Windows PC that’s connected to the internet in order to set up your Windows installation files. 1. Connect the USB drive (with at least 8GB of RAM) to your computer once it has been done. 2. Open a web browser and navigate to the Download Windows 10 page. 3. Select the “Create Windows 10 installation media” option from the drop-down menu. 4. Select “Download tool now” from the drop-down menu. 5. Once the Windows 10 files have been downloaded to your computer, open the program and agree to the licensing agreement that appears.
- The USB disk will be automatically discovered and selected by Windows 11.
- The files will be transferred to the USB flash device that you have connected.
- Insert the USB device with the Windows installation files into the machine on which you wish to install Windows.
How to install Windows 10 using USB drive
You will need to modify the boot order of the computer in order for it to recognize the USB device. 1. Turn on your computer and click the appropriate key to activate the UEFI or BIOS controls at startup — this is often accomplished by pressing F1, F2, Escape, or Delete as soon as the machine begins. 2. Once the starting menu opens, navigate to the “boot” control menu and verify that your computer is configured to boot from a USB flash drive. Then save the UEFI/BIOS file and leave the program.
When the computer resumes, the USB drive will be used to boot the machine.
Please keep in mind that you will require a license key in order to finish the Windows 10 installation.
Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
The deadline for upgrading to Windows 10 has passed. Microsoft is no longer providing support for Windows 7, and the corporation has recently released Windows 11 as a replacement. Please keep in mind that Windows 11 will only be available as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, and not for those running earlier versions of the operating system. Upgrades will be required for those who are still using outdated operating systems. (Click here to learn how to download Windows 11 and how to determine whether your computer is compatible.) If you’re still using Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 10 Home for $139 (£120, AU$225) from Microsoft’s official website.
Upgrade to Windows 10 now will make future upgrades, such as Windows 11, much more straightforward.
More information may be found at: Windows 11 evaluation: Familiar, but not stale Windows 7 customers who don’t upgrade to Windows 10 are already missing out on Microsoft’s security updates, bug fixes and technical assistance.
We’ll show you how to download Windows 10 for free and give you the latest onWindows 11 computer requirementsand acommon Windows 11 errorthat Microsoft users are running into.
And here’s what you can expect beforeupgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This story was recently updated. Now playing: Watch this: 7 ways to take screenshots in Windows 113:54
How to download Windows 10 for free
If you’re presently running a licensed and active copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, here’s how to acquire Windows 10 for free. 1: At home or in the office: 1. Navigate to the Windows 10 Download page. Click Download tool now and Run under the heading “Create Windows 10 installation media.” If this is the only computer that needs to be upgraded, select Upgrade this computer immediately. Create installation disks for another PC and save the installation files if you’re upgrading from a separate system.
You should notice a digital license for Windows 10 in the Settings UpdateSecurityActivation section when the update is complete.
Stephen Shankland is a contributor to CNET.
(Please note that the update is not available for Windows Enterprise.) Other users may also encounter problems, depending on the configuration of your computer.) This update, which makes use of the media production tool, is not intended for the general public, although it does work for a large number of people.
Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to get Windows 10 for free as a student or member of the faculty at your university.
For additional information, see the best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2021, six security adjustments that all Windows 10 users should make, all of the significant differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, and every Windows 10 setting that you should deactivate (all of which can be found here).
How to install Windows 10 onto a new computer using a USB drive
- Installing Windows 10 is as simple as downloading and saving a copy of the installation files to a USB flash drive. In order to use this method, your USB flash drive must be at least 8GB in size, and it should contain no other data
- In order to install Windows 10, your computer will require at least a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of hard drive space
- However, a faster processor and more RAM are recommended. More stories may be found in Insider’s Tech Reference collection
- Click here.
Previously, installing Windows required burning the necessary files on a CD or DVD. Installing Windows 10 these days is an easy process. A USB flash drive and another computer with internet connection are all you’ll need to complete this task. You’ll need a Windows machine that’s already set up and connected to the internet in order to prepare the Windows installation files for downloading. After that is completed, you will transfer them to the new computer.
Preparing your installation files
1.Place your 8 GB or bigger USB drive into the computer. It is not necessary for the disk to be empty, however any material on the drive will be deleted throughout the setup process. Using a web browser, navigate to the Download Windows 10 page. In that window, scroll down until you see the option to “Create Windows 10 installation media” and click “Download tool now.” To get started, you’ll need to download the Windows 10 setup. Insider3 is a collaboration between Dave Johnson and Insider3. Once the program has been downloaded to your computer, launch it and agree to the terms of the licensing agreement.
- Insider5 is a collaboration between Dave Johnson and Insider5.
- If you don’t want the defaults, uncheck the box labeled “Use the recommended choices for this PC” and then select the language, edition, and architecture that you want from the drop-down menu.
- Choosing a “USB flash drive” as the media type on the “Choose which media to utilize” screen will complete the process.
- Insider7’s Dave Johnson contributed to this report.
- If you have more than one CD or DVD inserted in your computer, select the appropriate one and then click on “Next.” If you just have one USB device plugged, you may go to the next step by clicking “Next.” Insider8 is represented by Dave Johnson.
This is going to take some time. When it’s finished, grab the USB drive and insert it into the machine that you wish to use to install Windows. The process of creating a USB device with installation data might take an hour or more. In this article, Dave Johnson/Insider
Installing the files
1.You’ll need to modify the boot sequence of the computer in order for it to identify the USB device. Begin by turning on your computer and hitting the appropriate key to activate the UEFI or BIOS controls at startup – this is often accomplished by pressing F1, F2, Escape, or Delete as soon as the machine is turned on. 2.When the starting menu displays, navigate to the “boot” control panel and verify that your computer is configured to boot from a USB flash drive. 3. Then save the UEFI/BIOS file and leave the program.
- Now all you have to do is follow the on-screen directions to install Windows on your computer.
- Insider Photographs by Justin Gmoser and Jeremy Dreyfuss 4.
- If you don’t have a key yet, you can wait until the files have been installed before entering the key you will need.
- Some functionality will be disabled, but the operating system will still be fully functional in its entirety.
- Dave Johnson is a musician and songwriter from the United Kingdom.
- Dave grew up in New Jersey before joining the Air Force, where he worked as a satellite operator, space operations instructor, and space launch planning specialist.
- A photographer who has shot wolves in their natural surroundings, Dave is also a dive instructor and the co-host of many podcasts, all of which can be found on his website.
- More:Tech How to Install Windows 10 (Installation Guide) It denotes the presence of an expanding section or menu, as well as the presence of previous and next navigation choices.
- Especially for you
How to Download Windows 10 for Free
It is possible that this site will get affiliate commissions from the links on this page. Terms and conditions of usage. Since the release of Windows 10, Microsoft has made the operating system available to the public, either officially or unofficially. On July 29, 2016, Microsoft officially announced that you would no longer be able to download or update your PC to Windows 10. Unofficially, you may still obtain a license for the operating system’s update. Even though Microsoft has said that the free Windows 10 upgrade offer would be terminated on December 31, 2017, this is not the case.
- Microsoft’s first major drive to get users to upgrade to Windows 10 was plagued by an increasingly heavy hand as the campaign progressed, to the point that the company was both accused of using malware methods and eventually confessed to using them.
- To see a larger version of this image, click here.
- Any legally acquired copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that is still in good working order can be upgraded to Windows 10 at no additional cost.
- If you decide to upgrade your PC, Microsoft will take care of the license update for you with no trouble.
- You may obtain a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft and install it on any computer of your choosing.
- An unactivated copy of Windows 10 has two limitations: it cannot be used for any other purpose and it cannot be used for any other purpose.
- In the lower right-hand corner, there is a watermark that says “Activate Windows.” 2).
- By immediately clicking on a picture, you can change your wallpaper, and you can still access the desktop magnification settings.
- Windows 10 Home licenses are available for as cheap as $25 on various sources, but circumstances have been tough for a lot of people over the past year.
- It is still possible to get a legal license for Windows 7 for as low as $13.50 if you cannot tolerate the thought of having a watermark on your desktop and/or if you want the customizing possibilities offered by Windows 7.
That license will be upgraded to Windows 10 using the same procedure mentioned above, and you will be able to keep the $10 to $12 difference. Now, take a look at this:
- Microsoft claims that it has never made a profit from the sale of Xbox hardware. By the end of the summer, Windows 10 will make flash removal mandatory. Microsoft matches Epic’s gaming cut and lowers the Windows Store gaming cut to 12%.
How to Download Windows 10 for Free
When Windows 10 originally became available, obtaining a free upgrade was as simple as selecting the Get Windows 10 notification prompt from the notification bar. Currently, though, things are a little different. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, which implies that there will be no more technical support, security updates, or bug-squashing for this operating system going forward. In other words, Windows 7 is now considered risky to use, making it a great time to upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version.
Although it may appear that Microsoft’s newest operating system is no longer available, there are still methods to obtain it without having to purchase a new license or breaking any regulations.
Product keys and digital licenses
It is preferable to have a valid product key or digital license in order to qualify for a free update. What’s the difference between the two? An operating system purchased from Microsoft or any other merchant comes with a product key that allows you to unlock the system. It may be printed and included in the packing, emailed to you, or saved in the cloud, as is often the case with system builders and other service professionals.
What is a digital license?
A digital license establishes a connection between your installed Windows platform and a key that is incorporated in prebuilt systems from companies like as Acer, Dell, HP, and others. This group of producers has for a long time printed product keys on labels that were affixed to computers or printed and inserted them into product packaging. Microsoft’s product keys are normally only valid on a single computer, however hackers have discovered ways to utilize the same key on many computers. It was as a result of this that Microsoft and OEMs implemented digital licensing in Windows 8 as an anti-piracy mechanism to ensure that end users would not install the platform on new computers.
This license is tied to your Microsoft account when it is purchased.
What if I can’t find my key?
Whether you’re upgrading from Windows 7 and are unable to locate your product key, you can try logging into your Microsoft account and reviewing your previous downloads to see if your product key is still available. Some websites, such as Amazon, also retain track of paid downloads, although they seldom contain the product key itself, though they may be useful in narrowing down the location of the key. Finally, you may download Windows 10 and execute a fresh installation of the operating system.
Other than that, you must provide an original, genuine product key during the setup process, or you may do it later by visiting SettingsUpdateSecurityActivation (see below).
It is necessary to follow our previous instruction on how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. If you do not have a valid Windows 7 license key, you must follow this guide. Arif Bacchus of Digital Trends has contributed to this article.
How to download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool
Despite the fact that Microsoft officially ended the free update campaign in mid-2016, the company secretly continues to make this option available so that all Windows PC customers may run the most recent version. A new Windows 10 Home product key will need to be purchased if you do not already have an active digital license or product key that qualifies you for the free upgrade, as previously stated. Step 1: The first step in obtaining a free Windows 10 update is to go to the Microsoft Download Windows 10 homepage.
- When MediaCreationTool21H1.exe is downloaded into your computer, it should take no more than a minute to complete the process.
- Activate the Media Creation Tool in the third step.
- As previously stated, you have two options: either upgrade the current PC or make installation discs that can be used to either update another PC or conduct a clean install on the current PC.
- Step 5:Click on theUpgrade This PC Nowbutton and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Remove apps from your computer if necessary to satisfy the installer’s concerns.
- Take note of the significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 in terms of the software that you will be using.
- We cannot guarantee that all files and applications will be compatible with Windows 10, and some may cease to function as a result of this.
- Before you proceed, make a copy of or convert any important data.
- It is necessary to restart your computer several times while the installation process advances.
- If you are required for a valid product key, input it now or later by going toSettingsUpdateSecurityActivation on your computer.
- Step 10:In addition, you’ll obtain the same flavor of Windows that came pre-installed on your computer – Home, Pro, Enterprise, or Educational.
Purchasing a new product key is required if you choose to utilize Windows 10 Pro rather than the Windows 10 Home upgrade. Arif Bacchus of Digital Trends has contributed to this article.
Other methods for getting Windows 10
For the time being, the procedure outlined above is the most effective way to obtain a free copy of Windows 10. It is possible to obtain Windows 10 in alternative ways if you want it, including free and low-cost alternatives that may be worth investigating.
Upgrade from Windows 7
Purchase a copy of Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store. Please refer to our tutorial on how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for further information.
Download Windows 10 without activating
Technically, you may download Windows 10 from Microsoft and not activate it, which means you won’t have to pay anything for the operating system. It turns out that technique is more secure than it appears since Microsoft is sloppy about enforcing activation requirements. Your copy of Windows should not shut down, however there are several restrictions that apply after the 30-day trial period:
- In the bottom-right corner, there is a watermark that says “Activate Windows.” If Windows isn’t activated, the message “Windows Isn’t Activated, Activate Windows Now” shows in the settings
- Several personalization options, such as altering the background and accent colors, are not available. It is possible that updates will be discontinued in the future. Various applications and functionality cease to function
- You’ll receive daily reminders reminding you to turn it on. There is no technical assistance.
However, we want to emphasize that using an unactivated version of Windows 10 is strictly prohibited by Microsoft. Despite the fact that it appears to be a good deal (and it does sound about right), you are in fact breaking the rules and violating Microsoft’s license agreement by doing so. Microsoft would be perfectly within its rights to pursue legal action against anyone who is found to be using the Windows 10 operating system without having activated it, albeit they have not done so as far as we are aware.
Ultimately, if Microsoft desired to prevent users from utilizing these versions, they had the ability to do so.
Buy a third-party Windows 10 key
Third-party merchants who offer Windows 10 manufacturer keys at a discount may be found on the internet. By purchasing the keys through one of these firms, you may save 50% (or perhaps more) off the full Microsoft retail price for the keys. While it may appear to be a scam, it is possible to locate reputable suppliers who also happen to be offering a competitive price; nonetheless, you must be vigilant. What buyers need to do is look for reputable key vendors that are willing to give exceptional discounts.
PCDestination offers these for $45, and they are in stock.
- The sketching experience on Chromebooks is about to get a significant upgrade
- How to make your PC compliant with TPM 2.0
- A critical Mac update resolves an issue in Safari that was leaking user data. Obtain a strong Dell laptop while it is available at a discounted price of $250
- For 2022, the best 13-inch laptops are as follows:
How to download a Windows 10 ISO file without using the Media Creation Tool
It is possible to obtain a Windows 10 ISO file directly from Microsoft without first utilizing their program, however the company does not make this process simple or straightforward. This tutorial will walk you through the complicated procedure. ” data-credit=”Image courtesy of Rawpixel/Shutterstock”> Image courtesy of Rawpixel/Shutterstock When you navigate to the official Windows 10 download website with the aim of obtaining the most recent ISO file, you will most likely be prompted to download the Media Creation Tool first, which can be found here.
Another option is to make a single ISO file that may be saved on your hard disk or cloud storage device.
The Media Creation Tool is optional for some users, and they may want to skip this step and download the Windows 10 ISO file straight to their selected device instead of going through the intermediate process of downloading the Windows 10 ISO file.
You will learn how to obtain the Windows 10 ISO file straight from Microsoft without having to use the Media Creation Tool in this how-to video guide. COMPARE: Software selection is made easier with the use of comparison tools (TechRepublic Premium)
How to download Windows ISO files without using the Media Creation Tool
The first step in this procedure is, of course, to travel to the Microsoft Windows 10 download page on the internet. It is possible to upgrade your installed version of Windows 10 using this page, as shown in Figure A. Additionally, you may download the Media Creation Tool, which will allow you to produce an ISO file of Windows 10 for later use. Figure A” data-credit=””>” data-credit=””> It is important to note that there is no option to just download the Windows ISO file; the Media Creation Tool is necessary because we are viewing the webpage from a PC running Windows 7.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION, SEE:Office 365: A Guide for Technology and Business Leaders (free PDF) (TechRepublic) The webpage must be tricked a little bit in order for us to be able to access a button that will allow us to download the Windows 10 ISO file directly.
- The Microsoft Edge web browser is used in this example, but the procedure is the same for any other popular web browser.
- Although the screen appears to be daunting, we are able to disregard the most of it.
- In Figure C, you can see that by clicking the ellipsis and then selecting “More tools” from the context menu, you may see a plethora of other tools.
- Figure D” data-credit=””>On this screen, remove the Use Browser Default Setting checkbox and pick a different operating system from the Custom dropdown menu (see Figure D).
- Figure E shows how to relocate the Developer Tool page to one side of the webpage once it has been refreshed with the F5 keyboard shortcut.
- As far as the webpage is concerned, this new choice is accessible since we are browsing the site using a PC that is running Google’s Chrome operating system.
Please keep in mind that, as of this writing, you may download the Windows 11 ISO straight from the Microsoft website without having to pretend to be running a different operating system.
Microsoft Weekly Newsletter
By reading these Windows and Office tips, tricks, and cheat sheets, you may become the Microsoft insider for your workplace. Deliveries are made on Mondays and Wednesdays. Sign up for a membership today.
- In this article from TechRepublic, you will learn how to build a Windows 10 ISO file using the Windows Media Creation Tool. There are three straightforward ways to locate your Windows 10 product key, according to TechRepublic. How to install Windows 11 on an older computer that isn’t officially supported (TechRepublic)
- This cheat sheet contains everything you need to know about Windows 11 (TechRepublic). How to install Windows 11 using an ISO file provided by Microsoft (TechRepublic)
- Securing Windows 10 systems (TechRepublic Premium)
- Checklist for securing Windows 10 systems Continue reading TechRepublic on Flipboard for more must-read Microsoft content.
How to download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
With each new version of Windows 10, Microsoft also provides fresh ISO disk images of the operating system, which may be used to do clean installations or to build a bootable recovery environment for users who have already installed Windows 10. This article outlines two methods for obtaining the most recent Windows 10 ISO images from the Microsoft website. When you create an ISO image, you are making a sector-by-sector clone of the Windows DVD and saving it as one single ‘.iso’ file on your computer.
Using ISO images, you can create bootable media that can be used as a recovery environment for troubleshooting or to perform clean installations of the most recent version of Windows 10.
You may also use them to create virtual computers running Windows 10 in Hyper-V, VirtualBox, or VMware environments.
It will be demonstrated in this post how to utilize the MCT to get the most recent ISO image or how to manipulate Microsoft’s website into allowing you to download the ISO images directly.
Method 1: Use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO
When you use the Media Creation Tool, you may download the most recent Windows 10 ISO and save it to a file or burn it to a USB flash drive, which is provided by Microsoft. Please follow these procedures in order to utilize the Media Creation Tool to obtain the most recent ISO:
- Visit the Windows 10 download page for more information. making use of your web browser Click on the ‘Download tool now’ option under ‘Create Windows 10 installation media,’ and then save the executable file to your computer. The MediaCreationTool20H2.exe executable is the name of the MCT executable at the time of authoring. When you launch the software once it has been downloaded, Windows will ask you if you want to allow it to execute. If you choose Yes at this window, the MCT will load and prepare a few items before proceeding
- Otherwise, choose No. When you’re finished, you’ll be presented with a licensing agreement. To proceed, simply click on theAcceptbutton. If you choose to upgrade your computer, the tool will prompt you to choose whether you want to create installation media for another PC (using a USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) or if you want to upgrade your computer and create installation media (using a USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC. Then click on theCreate installation mediaoption and press theNextbutton. The Media Creation Tool will now download and validate the necessary files in order to generate an ISO image or a bootable USB flash drive. Please be patient throughout this procedure, as it may take some time. When you’re finished, the MCT will ask you what language, architecture, and Windows edition you’d want to use for the ISO image you created. By default, the MCT will use your local language and architecture, but you may change this by checking the appropriate boxes. Make use of the suggested settings for this computer. Other choices can be selected using the checkbox. As soon as you’re finished, click on theNext button
- You’ll be asked whether you want to produce a bootable USB drive or a Windows 10 ISO file. Select theISO file option and hit Next
- You will now be required to choose a place in which to store your ISO file, which we will do later. Click on theSavebutton after selecting a location to save the ISO file to
- The Media Creation Tool will now create the ISO file in the location you provided
- Please be patient while the file is being generated. Upon completion of the ISO creation process, you can exit Media Creation Tool with a single click of theFinishbutton.
You will now have the most recent Windows 10 ISO image file saved to your folder, which you may use to construct virtual machines or bootable media at a later time.
Method 2: Download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
There is only one option available when you visit Microsoft’s ” Download Windows 10 ” page: you can either use Windows Update or use the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to update to a new version of the software. However, by changing your browser’s user agent to a non-Windows operating system, it is feasible to deceive Microsoft’s Windows 10 download page into delivering an ISO image instead of the full installation package. Please follow these instructions in order to obtain the most recent Windows 10 ISO image:
- Using any Chromium-based browser, such as Google Chrome or the new Microsoft Edge, navigate to the Windows 10 download page
- In Chrome, go to the menu bar and select More Tools. From there, select Developer Tools, as seen below. To enter the Device toolbar, use the Ctrl + Shift + Mkeyboard shortcut combination once more. It is possible to imitate another device, such as a cell phone or a tablet, using this toolbar. When moving to a different device, the browser’s user agent is also changed, which is used by the website to identify the operating system of the visitor. SelectiPadoriPad Pro from the option that appears when you selectResponsive so that you may see the page more clearly. As soon as you choose one of these devices, the screen size will be reduced to 50 percent of its original size. Please increase the percentage to 100 percent, as indicated below, in order to see the web page more clearly
- Then, to refresh the page, click the F5 key on your keyboard. Microsoft’s website will now give you the Windows 10 ISO instead of the Media Creation Tool. Select the ‘Windows 10’ option under the name of the most recent feature update by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to ‘Select edition’ and then selecting the ‘Windows 10’ option under the name of the most recent feature update. While writing this article, the most recent version of Microsoft’s operating system is Windows 10 20H2, also known as the Windows 10 October 2020 Update. Once you’ve made your selection, click on theConfirmbutton
- After a few seconds, Microsoft’s website will prompt you to pick the product language for your ISO. Continue by selecting your language and pressing theConfirmbutton once more. Last but not least, you will be prompted to choose between a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the Windows 10 ISO to be downloaded. The majority of people prefer to download the 64-bit version of Windows 10. After clicking on the download option, you will be prompted to select a location in which to store the ISO file, as seen in the screenshot below. After selecting the location where you want to store the ISO file, click on theSavebutton to begin the download. It may take some time for the current ISO image to download due to its size of 5.8 GB, which is dependent on your Internet connection speed.
Within 24 hours of being produced, the ISO download link provided by Microsoft’s website will no longer be valid and can no longer be shared with other people.
If you don’t make a new link within 24 hours, the old one will no longer operate, and you’ll have to start again from the beginning.
What should you do with the ISO?
You may be wondering what you should do with the newest Windows 10 ISO image now that you have obtained a copy of it from a trusted source. This ISO image may now be mounted on virtual machines in order to update an existing Windows installation or to install a completely new Windows installation. You may also use the ISO file to locate a specific Windows system file by extracting it. Finally, you may use the ISO image in conjunction with a free software such as RufusorUniversal USB Installer to build a bootable Windows 10 USB drive using the ISO image.
- It’s possible to do a clean installation of Windows 10 using a bootable USB drive or DVD that you’ve created for the operating system.
- Another prominent application for bootable Windows 10 USB sticks is as a recovery environment, which may be used to eradicate malware and troubleshoot Windows 10 crashes, bugs, and freezes, among other problems.
- A 32GB Sandisk drive for $8.99 or a 5-pack of 64GB USB drives for $24 on Amazon are also good options for those who don’t have a spare USB drive.
- When troubleshooting difficulties with Windows, we have utilized the Windows 10 Recovery Environment a number of times in the past with great success.
- 1/2/2021: New information has been added.
Besides being the owner and Editor in Chief of BleepingComputer.com, Lawrence Abrams also writes for several other websites. Microsoft Windows, virus eradication, and computer forensics are among the areas of competence that Lawrence possesses. Winternals Defragmentation, Recovery, and Administration Field Guide author Lawrence Abrams is also the technical editor for Rootkits for Dummies, which he co-authored with David Winternals.
How to download older ISO versions of Windows 10 • Pureinfotech
Microsoft’s support website does provide the option of downloading an ISO file to use with Windows 10, however the website only offers the most recent version, with no option to download prior versions. The Rufus program may be used to download prior versions of Windows 10, which can be used to roll back to a previous version if you have accidentally updated your device, are having compatibility issues with a new version, or simply do not like the newest edition. To install Windows 10, you may use Rufus, a free third-party utility that allows you to build a bootable USB flash drive (orWindows 11).
In this post, you will learn how to use Rufus to download an ISO file and generate a bootable disk that may be used to install previous versions of Windows 10, even if they are no longer officially supported.
Download older versions of Windows 10 using Rufus
If you’re using an older version of Windows 10, use these instructions to generate a USB media:
- Click on the “Obtain” link in the “Download” section to download the most recent version. To start the utility, double-click on the executable file. Towards the bottom of the page, click on theSettingsbutton (the third button from the left)
- Using the “Check for updates” drop-down menu in the “Settings” section, choose the Daily option from the list of options
- To close the window, click theClosebutton. To exit the application, click theClosebutton once again. OpenRufusagain
- The USB drive should be selected from the drop-down option under the “Device” section in order to generate the installation media. Quick tip: You’ll need to connect a USB flash drive with a minimum storage capacity of 8GB. If you don’t find the device you’re looking for on the list, you may have to restart the program. Under the “Boot selection” section, utilize the drop-down box to pick either the disk or the ISO image as the boot medium. Select theDownload option by clicking thedown arrowbutton on the right side of the screen. To download, click on theDownloadbutton. Choose the Windows 10 option from the drop-down menu. To proceed, click theContinuebutton. Select the following previous version of Windows 10 from the “Release” section to begin downloading it:
- Version 21H2, November 2021 Update (Build number 19044)
- Version 20H2, October 2020 Update (Build number 19042)
- Version 2004, May 2020 Update (Build number 19041)
- Version 21H2, November 2021 Update (Build number 19044)
- (Build number 18363) and the Version 1909, November 2019 Update (Build number 18363)
- The Version 1903, May 2019 Update (Build number 18362)
- The Version 1809, October 2018 Update (Build number 17763)
- And the Version 1803, April 2018 Update (Build number 17134) are the most recent versions of the software. Version 1709, Fall Creators Update (Build number 16299)
- Version 1703, Creators Update (Build number 15063)
- Version 1607, Anniversary Update (Build number 14393)
- Version 1511, November Update (Build number 10586)
- Version 1507, Initial Release (Build number 10240)
- Version 1507, Initial Release (Build number
To proceed, click theContinuebutton. Select Windows 10 Home/Pro/Edu from the drop-down menu. To proceed, click theContinuebutton. Choose the language of Windows 10 from the drop-down menu. To proceed, click theContinuebutton. Select the operating system architecture that you want to use (x64orx86). You’ll need to choose thex64option if your device is newer than this one. To download the file, click on theDownloadbutton. Select the location where you want to save the Windows 10 ISO file on your computer.
To begin, press the Startbutton.
As soon as you have completed the instructions, you can use the bootable USB flash drive to install a previous version of Windows 10 using either a clean installation or an in-place upgrade procedure.
We may receive a commission for purchases made via our links, which allows us to continue to provide free content.
All of the material on this site is given “as is” with no guarantees of any kind, either stated or implied.
Preserve a backup of your device and its contents before making any modifications.