- 1 Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
- 2 How to download Windows 10 for free
- 3 How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020 [Updated]
- 4 Download Windows 10
- 5 Download Windows 10
- 6 You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10
- 7 How to Download Windows 10 and Install it Without a Key
- 8 The Cosmetic Limitations
- 9 How to Upgrade Windows 10 to an Activated Version
- 10 How to Download Windows 10 for Free
- 11 Product keys and digital licenses
- 12 How to download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool
- 13 Other methods for getting Windows 10
- 14 Upgrade from Windows 7
- 15 Download Windows 10 without activating
- 16 Buy a third-party Windows 10 key
- 17 Yes, you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade. Here’s how
- 18 How to Download Windows 10 for Free
- 19 How to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for free
- 20 Related:
- 21 How to Install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive (with Pictures)
- 22 How to Install Windows 10
- 23 Now It’s Your Turn
Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
The deadline for upgrading to Windows 10 has passed. Microsoft is no longer providing support for Windows 7, and the corporation has recently released Windows 11 as a replacement. Please bear in mind that Windows 11 will only be offered as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, and not for those using earlier versions of the operating system. Upgrades will be required for those who are still using outdated operating systems. (Click here to learn how to get Windows 11 and how to determine whether your PC is compatible.) If you’re still using Windows 7, you may upgrade to Windows 10 Home for $139 (£120, AU$225) through Microsoft’s official website.
Upgrade to Windows 10 now will make future upgrades, such as Windows 11, much more straightforward.
More information may be found at: Windows 11 evaluation: Familiar, but not stale Users of Windows 7 who do not upgrade to Windows 10 are already missing out on Microsoft’s security updates, bug patches, and technical assistance, according to the company.
Learn how to download and install Windows 10 for free, and get the newest information on Windows 11 computer requirements and a typical Windows 11 issue that Microsoft users have been experiencing.
This story has been updated recently.
How to download Windows 10 for free
If you’re presently running a licensed and active copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, here’s how to acquire Windows 10 for free. 1: At home or in the office: 1. Navigate to the Windows 10 Download page. Click Download tool now and Run under the heading “Create Windows 10 installation media.” If this is the only computer that needs to be upgraded, select Upgrade this computer immediately. Create installation disks for another PC and save the installation files if you’re upgrading from a separate system.
You should notice a digital license for Windows 10 in the Settings UpdateSecurityActivation section when the update is complete.
Stephen Shankland is a contributor to CNET.
(Please note that the update is not available for Windows Enterprise.) Other users may also encounter problems, depending on the configuration of your computer.) This update, which makes use of the media production tool, is not intended for the general public, although it does work for a large number of people.
Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to get Windows 10 for free as a student or member of the faculty at your university.
For additional information, see the best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2021, six security adjustments that all Windows 10 users should make, all of the significant differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, and every Windows 10 setting that you should deactivate (all of which can be found here).
You may also download Microsoft Office for free from the internet.
How To Upgrade To Windows 10 For ‘Free’ In 2020 [Updated]
If you’re presently using a licensed and active copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, here’s how to download Windows 10 for free. One can choose between being at home or working. To begin, navigate to the Windows 10 Download page. Click on Download tool now and Run under the heading “Create Windows 10 installation media.” If this is the only computer that needs to be upgraded, choose Upgrade This Computer Now. (If you’re updating a separate system, chooseCreate installation disk for another PC and save the installation files on that computer.) 4.Follow the on-screen instructions to the letter.
- Now that Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7, the company is urging Windows 7 customers to switch to Windows 10.
- (Please note that the update is not available for Windows Enterprise.
- A new Windows 10 PC (or one that was introduced after July 2015) with all of the necessary hardware improvements will provide the finest Windows 10 experience and allow you to take use of features like passwordless sign-on using Windows Hello.
- (Click here to look for software options available at your school.) Follow the newest Microsoft news, as well as reviews and tips on Windows PCs, to stay on top of the latest developments.
- Free Microsoft Office may also be obtained over the internet.
- Please visit the Windows 10 download page by clicking here. The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool is downloaded when you click on the ‘Download Tool now’ button. When you’re finished, open the download and agree to the terms of the license. Make the selection: ‘Upgrade this PC now’ and then click ‘Next’. Select ‘Keep personal files and applications’ from the drop-down menu. Click on ‘Install’ (please keep in mind that this can take some time and will require numerous restarts)
- Once the software has been installed, go to:Settings. Microsoft Windows Update Activation is required in order to activate your Windows 10 digital license. Alternatively, if you haven’t already activated your old version of Windows, input your (genuine) Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key.
For a later time, you may open:SettingsUpdateSecurityActivation to verify that your license has been successfully activated. Please keep in mind that a Windows 10 license is related to your hardware. This ensures that in the event of a need to format your machine for any reason, Windows 10 will reactivate immediately. To avoid this, update several components in your PC as part of a device upgrade. Otherwise, Windows 10 may believe you’ve purchased a new PC and refuse to automatically register the license.
Gordon’s favorite Microsoft Daily Deals include:
- For a later time, you can open:SettingsUpdateSecurityActivation to ensure that your license has been successfully activated. Note that a Windows 10 license is related to your computer’s operating system and hardware. This ensures that in the event of a need to format your machine for any reason, Windows 10 will revive itself. To avoid this, update numerous components in your PC as part of a device upgrade. Otherwise, Windows 10 may believe you’ve purchased a new computer and refuse to automatically register the license. Fortunately, Microsoft offers a straightforward procedure that you may follow in this situation. Best of the Microsoft Daily Deals, as selected by Gordon:
_More on Forbes Price Alert: Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Games Sales Daily Deals: _More on Forbes Price Alert: Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Games Sales Daily Deals: Apple MacBooks, Windows 10 Laptops, and Chromebook Deals are all available now. Reached New Lows Gordon may be found on Facebook.
Download Windows 10
As soon as you download an ISO file for Windows 10, the file is automatically installed on your computer in the location that you specify. In the event that you have a software for the creation of bootable DVDs on your computer and you want to use it for the creation of an installation DVD, you can launch that application by going to the location of the ISO-file and double-clicking on the file. You may also select your favorite DVD brander by pressing the right mouse button on the folder icon and selecting Open with the left mouse button.
- SelecteerEigenschappen using the right mouse button after locating the ISO-file with the left mouse button.
- Wijzigenen selects Windows Explorer in order to open ISO-files and then selects the nextToepassen option.
- If you want to install Windows 10 directly from the ISO-file without having to use a DVD or flashstation, you may do so by connecting the ISO-file to a computer with a USB drive.
- Koppelen von ISO-Dateien:
- Navigate to the location where the ISO-file has been stored, click on the file with the right mouse button, and then selectEigenschappen. To change the default settings, select the General tab and then the Wijzigen option. Afterwards, choose Windows Explorer to open the ISO files, and then choose the next option. Toepassen
- Then, with the right mouse button, click on the ISO-file and selecteerKoppelen. Double-click on the ISO-file to see what files and folders are contained within it. Double-click opsetup.exe in order to begin the Windows 10 installation process
Download Windows 10
Using the ISO file for Windows 10 that you downloaded, the file is saved locally in the directory that you specified. You can open the ISO file by going to the location where the file is saved and double-clicking it, or you can right-click the ISO file and selectOpen withand select your preferred DVD burning software from the drop-down menu. If you have a third-party DVD burning program installed on your computer that you prefer to use for creating the installation DVD, you can open that program by going to the location where the file is saved and double-clicking it.
- If you wish to use the Windows Disk Image Burner to produce an installation DVD, you must first locate the location where the ISO file is kept.
- Choosing Windows Explorer as the software to open ISO files from the General tab by clickingChange and then selectingApply is a good place to start.
- The ISO file may be mounted in order to install Windows 10 directly from it, rather than via a DVD or flash drive, if that is what you want.
- To mount the ISO file, follow these steps:
- Enter the place where the ISO file is saved, right-click the ISO file, and selectProperties from the drop-down menu
- Change. may be found on the General tab. and then choose Windows Explorer as the tool you want to use to open ISO files, and then click on Apply. Mount the ISO file by selecting it from the context menu of the right-clicking mouse. To examine the files included within the ISO file, double-click on it. To begin the Windows 10 installation process, double-click setup.exe.
You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10
Anyone may download and install Windows 10 for free from Microsoft’s website without the need for a product key. It will continue to function for the foreseeable future, with the exception of a few minor aesthetic constraints. After you’ve installed Windows 10, you may even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of the operating system.
In order to install Windows 10 in Boot Camp, install it on an outdated computer that isn’t qualified for a free upgrade, or construct one or more virtual machines, you will not be required to spend a single penny.
How to Download Windows 10 and Install it Without a Key
Where to Download Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 ISO Images (Related) Legally To begin, you’ll need to download and install Windows 10. The software may be obtained straight from Microsoft, and you will not be required to enter a product key to obtain a copy of the software. In addition, there is a Windows 10 download application that works on Windows PCs and will assist you in creating a USB stick to install Windows 10. In the event that you are not using Windows, you can go to theWindows 10 ISO download page to download an ISO file directly (for example, if you are using Boot Camp to install Windows 10 on a Mac).
- Simply begin the installation procedure and proceed to complete the installation of Windows 10 as you usually would.
- You may also be prompted to input a product key later on in the process; if so, search for a little link that looks identical to the one above to bypass that page.
- However, unless you’re working in a business that uses Key Management Services, these keys will not provide you with an active copy of Windows; however, they will allow you to complete the Windows installation procedure without issue.
- You should keep in mind that upgrading to Windows 10 Home will be less expensive than upgrading to the premium edition in the future, so you should consider installing the Home version first before upgrading.
The Cosmetic Limitations
RELATED: What Is the Process of Windows Activation? Even if you have successfully installed Windows 10 without a key, it will not be enabled by default. An unactivated version of Windows 10 does not, on the other hand, contain many restrictions. Microsoft employed Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) to prevent unauthorized access to your machine when Windows XP was installed. At this point, Windows only complains in a few tiny, aesthetically displeasing ways. You won’t notice much of a change in the beginning.
- A watermark will appear in the bottom-right corner of your screen, which you should ignore for the time being.
- There are no pop-up windows, for example, and this is the only type of nag you’ll see on the site.
- At the top of this window, you’ll notice the phrase “You must first activate Windows before you can personalize your PC,” and the options for changing your wallpaper will be grayed out.
- You may, for example, right-click a picture in File Explorer and choose “Set as desktop background” from the context menu.
- Unlike Windows 7, which finally returned you to a black backdrop, Windows 10 doesn’t appear to do so.
- Apart from these fundamental limits, your Windows 10 machine will continue to function indefinitely.
There are no nag prompts, other from a watermark, and the game is absolutely free. Windows 10 upgrade is the only item that might potentially change this, but Microsoft has gotten progressively liberal since the release of Windows 7.
How to Upgrade Windows 10 to an Activated Version
If you have a “non-genuine” copy of Windows, you may now pay to update it to a licensed copy with Windows 10. Navigate to the UpdateSecurityActivation section of the Settings app. If you don’t have a valid Windows license, you’ll see a “Go to Store” button that will direct you to the Windows Store. You may acquire an authentic Windows license from the Store, which will allow you to activate your computer. It costs $120 to purchase the Home edition of Windows 10, and $200 to get the Professional version.
- There is no requirement to obtain a physical license.
- It is possible that this option will not be available in all countries.
- In different nations and currencies, Microsoft charges different pricing than in others.
- Windows could not be downloaded without a product key, and there was no way to fully upgrade to a licensed PC from within Windows at the time.
- It’s similar to a free demo, and you may use it to create as many virtual computers as you like for testing reasons at no additional cost.
- Microsoft’s license agreement still prohibits the use of popular “OEM” editions of Windows 10 on PCs that are custom-built by the user.
How to Download Windows 10 for Free
When Windows 10 originally became available, obtaining a free upgrade was as simple as selecting the Get Windows 10 notification prompt from the notification bar. Currently, though, things are a little different. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, which implies that there will be no more technical support, security updates, or bug-squashing for this operating system going forward. In other words, Windows 7 is now considered risky to use, making it a great time to upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version.
Although it may appear that Microsoft’s newest operating system is no longer available, there are still methods to obtain it without having to purchase a new license or breaking any regulations.
Product keys and digital licenses
A free Windows 10 update was as simple as selecting the Get Windows 10 notification prompt when Windows 10 initially became available. Fortunately, things have changed since then. The fact that Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 implies that there will be no longer be any technical support, security updates, or bug squashing. That is, Windows 7 is currently considered to be risky to use, making it a perfect time to make the transition to Windows 10. Unfortunately, the initial free upgrade time for the two previous versions expired some years ago, and the workaround to acquire Windows 10 for free using Assistive Technologies expired not long after that, as well.
What is a digital license?
A digital license establishes a connection between your installed Windows platform and a key that is incorporated in prebuilt systems from companies like as Acer, Dell, HP, and others. This group of producers has for a long time printed product keys on labels that were affixed to computers or printed and inserted them into product packaging. Microsoft’s product keys are normally only valid on a single computer, however hackers have discovered ways to utilize the same key on many computers. It was as a result of this that Microsoft and OEMs implemented digital licensing in Windows 8 as an anti-piracy mechanism to ensure that end users would not install the platform on new computers.
This license is tied to your Microsoft account when it is purchased.
What if I can’t find my key?
Whether you’re upgrading from Windows 7 and are unable to locate your product key, you can try logging into your Microsoft account and reviewing your previous downloads to see if your product key is still available. Some websites, such as Amazon, also retain track of paid downloads, although they seldom contain the product key itself, though they may be useful in narrowing down the location of the key. Finally, you may download Windows 10 and execute a fresh installation of the operating system.
Other than that, you must provide an original, genuine product key during the setup process, or you may do it later by visiting SettingsUpdateSecurityActivation (see below).
If you do not have a valid Windows 7 license key, you must follow this guide.
How to download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool
Despite the fact that Microsoft officially ended the free update campaign in mid-2016, the company secretly continues to make this option available so that all Windows PC customers may run the most recent version. A new Windows 10 Home product key will need to be purchased if you do not already have an active digital license or product key that qualifies you for the free upgrade, as previously stated. Step 1: The first step in obtaining a free Windows 10 update is to go to the Microsoft Download Windows 10 homepage.
- When MediaCreationTool21H1.exe is downloaded into your computer, it should take no more than a minute to complete the process.
- Activate the Media Creation Tool in the third step.
- As previously stated, you have two options: either upgrade the current PC or make installation discs that can be used to either update another PC or conduct a clean install on the current PC.
- Step 5:Click on theUpgrade This PC Nowbutton and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Remove apps from your computer if necessary to satisfy the installer’s concerns.
- Take note of the significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 in terms of the software that you will be using.
- We cannot guarantee that all files and applications will be compatible with Windows 10, and some may cease to function as a result of this.
- Before you proceed, make a copy of or convert any important data.
- It is necessary to restart your computer several times while the installation process advances.
- If you are required for a valid product key, input it now or later by going toSettingsUpdateSecurityActivation on your computer.
- Step 10:In addition, you’ll obtain the same flavor of Windows that came pre-installed on your computer – Home, Pro, Enterprise, or Educational.
Purchasing a new product key is required if you choose to utilize Windows 10 Pro rather than the Windows 10 Home upgrade. Arif Bacchus of Digital Trends has contributed to this article.
Other methods for getting Windows 10
For the time being, the procedure outlined above is the most effective way to obtain a free copy of Windows 10. It is possible to obtain Windows 10 in alternative ways if you want it, including free and low-cost alternatives that may be worth investigating.
Upgrade from Windows 7
Purchase a copy of Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store. Please refer to our tutorial on how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for further information.
Download Windows 10 without activating
Technically, you may download Windows 10 from Microsoft and not activate it, which means you won’t have to pay anything for the operating system. It turns out that technique is more secure than it appears since Microsoft is sloppy about enforcing activation requirements. Your copy of Windows should not shut down, however there are several restrictions that apply after the 30-day trial period:
- In the bottom-right corner, there is a watermark that says “Activate Windows.” If Windows isn’t activated, the message “Windows Isn’t Activated, Activate Windows Now” shows in the settings
- Several personalization options, such as altering the background and accent colors, are not available. It is possible that updates will be discontinued in the future. Various applications and functionality cease to function
- You’ll receive daily reminders reminding you to turn it on. There is no technical assistance.
However, we want to emphasize that using an unactivated version of Windows 10 is strictly prohibited by Microsoft. Despite the fact that it appears to be a good deal (and it does sound about right), you are in fact breaking the rules and violating Microsoft’s license agreement by doing so. Microsoft would be perfectly within its rights to pursue legal action against anyone who is found to be using the Windows 10 operating system without having activated it, albeit they have not done so as far as we are aware.
Ultimately, if Microsoft desired to prevent users from utilizing these versions, they had the ability to do so.
Buy a third-party Windows 10 key
We wish to emphasize that Microsoft does not enable the use of an unactivated version of Windows 10. In actuality, you’re breaching the rules and disobeying Microsoft’s license agreement, despite the fact that it appears to be a good deal (it sounds about right). As far as we know, Microsoft has not taken legal action against anyone who is using the Windows 10 operating system without having it enabled. However the company might take legal action against anyone who does so. If you’re not sure, take a chance.
- Please be aware that Microsoft does not authorize the use of an unactivated version of Windows 10. Despite the fact that it appears to be a good deal (and it does sound about right), you are in fact breaching the rules and violating Microsoft’s license agreement. Microsoft would be perfectly within its rights to pursue legal action against anyone who is found to be running the Windows 10 operating system without a valid license, however they have not done so as far as we are aware. It is better to be cautious than sorry. Microsoft has the ability to prevent anyone from using these versions if they so want.
Yes, you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade. Here’s how
Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 expired more than five years ago, but no one informed those in charge of maintaining the Windows activation servers of the expiration. As a consequence, you may still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and claim a free digital license for the most recent version of Windows 10 without having to go through any additional hurdles or requirements. When Microsoft officially discontinued support for Windows 7 in January 2020, the need for an update became more critical than ever.
Thousands of thousands of individuals have taken old PCs out of storage and brought them up to speed swiftly as a result of these free updates during the previous two years.
You may also still upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by utilizing a product key from a prior business edition of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Pro/Ultimate) that is compatible with Windows 10.
(See “How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without difficulties” for more information.) Every strategy I discuss in this post is also applicable to Windows 11, however the tight hardware compatibility requirements for Microsoft’s newest operating system will prevent most older PCs from upgrading to Microsoft’s newest operating system.
- Throughout this piece, I’ll go through the essential steps for installing Windows 10 as an update on older hardware.
- Early in 2017, I wrote and released the original version of this piece, which was written and published some months after Microsoft’s initial free upgrade offer had expired.
- However, the update worked flawlessly.
- There is only one digital license, and no product key is required.
- I continue to get email messages on a daily basis from readers who are pleased to report that their free upgrades were successful, with no requirement for a purchase or a product key.
- See the following article for more information on how to troubleshoot these problems “This offer for a free Windows 10 upgrade is still valid.
Here’s why – and how to get your hands on it.” Check out “Windows 10: Use setup log files to troubleshoot installation difficulties” for more information on decoding setup failures. Do you want to get your own digital license for the most recent Windows 10 release? Follow the steps outlined here.
How to upgrade an old PC to Windows 10
But no one alerted the employees who administer the Windows activation servers that Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 had expired more than five years ago. Consequently, you can still upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and receive a free digital license for the most recent Windows 10 release without having to go through any additional hurdles. Because of the end of official support for Windows 7 in January 2020, this upgrading has become even more critical. And when the pandemic made working from home (or attending school via online sessions) unexpectedly popular, it turned out to be a huge relief for household budgets as well.
Also: Answers to frequently asked questions about Windows 11.
If you have a product key from a prior business edition of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Pro/Ultimate), you may still upgrade your Windows 10 Home installation to Windows 10 Pro.
Detailed instructions may be found at “How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without issues.” Every strategy I discuss in this post is also applicable to Windows 11, albeit the tight hardware compatibility requirements for Microsoft’s newest operating system will prevent most older PCs from upgrading to Microsoft’s newest operating system.
- Throughout this piece, I’ll go through the essentials of installing Windows 10 as an update on older hardware.
- The first version of this piece was written and published in early 2017, some months after Microsoft’s initial free upgrade offer had expired.
- Instead, the upgrade was successful, and I was not prompted to provide a product key.
- There is just one digital license, thus there is no need for a physical product key.
- On a regular basis, I receive emails from readers who are happy to report that their free upgrades were successful, with no need to make a purchase or enter any product keys.
- Please refer to the following article for more information on how to resolve these issues “It is still possible to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 using this link.
Interested in obtaining a personal digital license for the most recent Windows 10 release? To complete this task, follow the steps below.
- Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 expired more than five years ago, but no one informed those in charge of maintaining the Windows activation servers of the termination. As a consequence, you may still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and receive a free digital license for the most recent version of Windows 10 without having to go through any additional hurdles or requirements. When Microsoft officially stopped support for Windows 7 in January 2020, this upgrading became even more critical. And when the epidemic made working from home (or attending school via virtual sessions) unexpectedly popular, it turned out to be a huge boon to household budgets. Thousands of thousands of individuals have taken old PCs out of storage and brought them up to speed swiftly as a result of these free updates during the last two years. Also: Windows 11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Here’s all you need to know about the topic. You may also use a product key from a prior business edition of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Pro/Ultimate) to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 10 Home preloaded, you may save as much as $100 in OEM upgrade fees. Detailed instructions may be found in “How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without difficulties.”) Every strategy I discuss in this post is also applicable to Windows 11, however the severe Windows 11 hardware compatibility requirements will prevent most older PCs from upgrading to Microsoft’s newest operating system. Windows 10 will continue to be a viable choice for such PCs until at least October 2025. Here, I’ll go through the fundamentals of installing Windows 10 as an update on older systems. I’ll also discuss the license difficulties that are involved, which are (as is often the case) puzzling. The first version of this piece was written and published in early 2017, some months after Microsoft’s initial free upgrade offer had ended. It was the last day of the free upgrade offer, and when I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade application and ran it on an old Windows 7 PC, I fully anticipated the update to fail activation and I’d be asked for a product key. But that wasn’t the case. To imagine my amazement when I was instead met by this screen. There is just one digital license and no need for a product key. The next four to five years, I repeated those processes on test PCs at regular intervals to ensure that the free upgrade tool was still functional. I continue to get email messages on a daily basis from readers who are pleased to report that their free upgrades were successful, with no requirement for a purchase or product key. A limited number of users have complained that the upgrading has failed due to a Setup error or a compatibility barrier. See the following section for more information on how to troubleshoot these problems “This offer for a free Windows 10 upgrade is still active. Here’s why – and how to get your hands on it.” Refer to “Windows 10: Use setup log files to troubleshoot installation difficulties” for further information on decoding setup failures. Do you want to get your own digital license for the most recent Windows 10 version? Follow the instructions outlined below.
Having completed the prerequisites, navigate to theDownload Windows 10webpage and click theDownload tool nowbutton to begin the installation process. To start the Media Creation Tool, double-click the executable file that was downloaded when it has finished downloading. You have the option of upgrading immediately using this tool or creating separate media. If you’ve downloaded the Media Creation Tool to the computer you’re planning to update and you’re only planning to upgrade that PC, you may select theUpgrade This PC Now option from the Upgrade menu.
It normally takes an hour or so, depending on your hardware configuration.
Choosing the second option and saving the installation files on a USB drive or an ISO file is recommended if you want to update to Windows 10 on more than one computer, or if you simply want greater flexibility in the event that the quick upgrade fails.
The specific steps you must do may vary depending on whatever download option you selected:
- Flash disk on a USB port Plug in the USB flash drive that you have just produced into a free USB port on the computer that you wish to upgrade. Once you’ve done that, go to File Explorer (Windows Explorer on Windows 7) and double-click Setup to begin the installation of Windows 10. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to complete an upgrade to Windows 10 via the freshly produced USB device or DVD. Windows 10 setup must be executed from your presently installed and activated copy of Windows
- The ISO file cannot be used for this purpose. It will be necessary to mount the ISO file and open it in a Windows Explorer/File Explorer window when the download is complete. If you are using a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you may double-click the ISO file to open it as a virtual drive on your computer. When operating Windows 7, you’ll need to download and install a third-party application such as the free, open-sourceWinCDEmu.msi file. Double-click Setup to begin the installation procedure when the ISO file has been mounted.
Flash disk with a USB connection. Plug in the USB flash drive that you have just produced into a free USB port on the computer that you wish to upgrade. Then, in File Explorer (Windows Explorer on Windows 7) double-click Setup to begin the installation of Windows 10. After that, restart your computer. Be aware that you will not be able to complete an upgrade to Windows 10 using the freshly produced USB device or DVD. Windows 10 setup must be executed from your existing installed and activated copy of Windows; the ISO file is not sufficient.
If you are using a PC with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you may double-click the ISO file to open it as a virtual drive on that computer.
The installation procedure will begin as soon as the ISO file has been mounted by double-clicking Setup.
Is your license valid?
And now for the big question: If you take advantage of this upgrade to Windows 10, will the license that results from it be valid? When it came to the overall “free upgrade” offer, the wording used was, to put it gently, “a little squishie.” Furthermore, the wording around the conclusion of that offer was similarly ambiguous. For example, have a look at the following responses from Microsoft’s Windows 10 Upgrade FAQ that I’ve highlighted here: The language used here is highly ambiguous. That’s a strange use of language.
In a similar vein, the description of product keys states that a key will be required “for this tool to operate” (which is not correct), but makes no mention of licensing.
In any case, the free upgrade offer has been temporarily extended, at least for those who rely on assistive technology.
(I frequently employ the Windows Magnifier program, which is unquestionably an assistive technology.) Of course, I’m not a lawyer, and nothing in this column should be construed as legal advice.
A very huge nod and wink, I believe, was intended to make it simple for individuals who wanted a Windows 10 upgrade to still receive one while also appeasing the OEM partners, who had been dissatisfied with Microsoft’s year-long concentration on upgrades rather than new PC sales over the previous year.
It is no longer possible to access the page that formerly served as the Upgrade Assistant since it now produces an error message.
I’ve continued to test that situation, and I can confirm that it is still functional, even though Windows 7 has reached the end of its support lifecycle.
If you’ve tried this strategy on a PC, please let me know how it worked out for you by clicking on my name at the top of this site and filling out the contact form.
The following article was first published in January 2017 and has been updated. Since then, it has been updated several times to ensure that it has the most up-to-date information.
How to Download Windows 10 for Free
It is possible that this site will get affiliate commissions from the links on this page. Terms and conditions of usage. Since the release of Windows 10, Microsoft has made the operating system available to the public, either officially or unofficially. On July 29, 2016, Microsoft officially announced that you would no longer be able to download or update your PC to Windows 10. Unofficially, you may still obtain a license for the operating system’s update. Even though Microsoft has said that the free Windows 10 upgrade offer would be terminated on December 31, 2017, this is not the case.
- Microsoft’s first major drive to get users to upgrade to Windows 10 was plagued by an increasingly heavy hand as the campaign progressed, to the point that the company was both accused of using malware methods and eventually confessed to using them.
- To see a larger version of this image, click here.
- Any legally acquired copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that is still in good working order can be upgraded to Windows 10 at no additional cost.
- If you decide to upgrade your PC, Microsoft will take care of the license update for you with no trouble.
- You may obtain a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft and install it on any computer of your choosing.
- An unactivated copy of Windows 10 has two limitations: it cannot be used for any other purpose and it cannot be used for any other purpose.
- In the lower right-hand corner, there is a watermark that says “Activate Windows.” 2).
- By immediately clicking on a picture, you can change your wallpaper, and you can still access the desktop magnification settings.
- Windows 10 Home licenses are available for as cheap as $25 on various sources, but circumstances have been tough for a lot of people over the past year.
- It is still possible to get a legal license for Windows 7 for as low as $13.50 if you cannot tolerate the thought of having a watermark on your desktop and/or if you want the customizing possibilities offered by Windows 7.
That license will be upgraded to Windows 10 using the same procedure mentioned above, and you will be able to keep the $10 to $12 difference. Now, take a look at this:
- If you click on one of the links on this page, our website may get a referral fee. Terms and conditions of usage are now established. Windows 10 has been accessible for download either officially or illegally since Microsoft introduced the operating system. The ability to download or update your PC to Windows 10 was officially discontinued on July 29, 2016. Despite the fact that the operating system is no longer officially supported, you can still obtain an upgrade license. Even though Microsoft has said that the free Windows 10 upgrade offer would be terminated on December 31, 2017, this is not the case. The offer will continue to be valid until 2021, according to Microsoft. Throughout the course of the campaign, an increasingly heavier hand was employed to persuade users to upgrade to Windows 10. As a result, Microsoft was both accused of malware methods and eventually confessed to using the same strategy. The actual number of individuals who declined to upgrade because of the company’s behavior will never be known, however at the time several readers expressed displeasure with the company’s actions and stated that they would not be upgrading. To see a larger version, please click here. In recent years, the majority of end users have updated to Windows 10, but if you haven’t done so yet, you still have a few legal choices available to you. The upgrade to Windows 10 is still possible for any legally acquired copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that is still in good working order. Windows 10 may be installed on any computer running a legal copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 by visiting this Microsoft page. If you decide to upgrade your computer, Microsoft will take care of the license update for you with no trouble. If you don’t already have a legal copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8, there is still a free alternative available to you, as described below. Installing Windows 10 on any PC is as simple as downloading and installing it from Microsoft. Always receive upgrades and game features, and the operating system is similar to the fully active, premium version you purchased. An unactivated copy of Windows 10 has two limitations: it cannot be used for any other purpose and it cannot be used to install any other software. 1). Lower right-hand corner of the screen has a watermark that says “Activate Windows.” 2). Desktop customization is not available. By immediately clicking on a picture, you can set your wallpaper, and you can still access the desktop magnification options. The only two limitations that come from not activating Windows 10 on testbeds are that it is self-defeating, and they are the only two limitations that come from not activating Windows 10. Windows 10 Home licenses are available for as cheap as $25 on various sources, but for many people, money has been tight during the past year. When it comes to creating a computer, it’s important to save every dime you can find. For individuals who despise the thought of having a watermark on their desktop and/or who want certain customisation choices, you can still get a legal license for Windows 7 for a low price of as little as $13.50. It will update to Windows 10 using the same method as described above, and you will be able to keep the $10 to $12 difference. Immediately after that, you should read the following:
How to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for free
Microsoft’s free Windows 11 upgrade from Windows 10 is currently being sent out to more users worldwide. Microsoft is beginning to make the free update available to new devices that are still coming with Windows 10, before making the OS available to other qualified older gear that meets the requirements. Even said, not every current PC that is running Windows 10 will have the option of upgrading to Windows 11. CPUs with Intel 8th Generation Coffee Lake or Zen 2 architecture or above, TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module) capability, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage are required for Windows 11.
However, if you really want Windows 11, there will be no official upgrade option for millions of PCs.
According to Microsoft, the Windows 11 update should be available to all currently operating and eligible PCs by the middle of 2022.
- Microsoft’s PC Health Check program will help you determine whether or not your computer is officially supported. Ensure that you back up all of your crucial papers, programs, and data
- Using your Windows 10 computer, navigate to SettingsUpdateSecurityWindows Update. Keep an eye out for more information. As soon as the free Windows 11 update is made available, you’ll be presented with the choice to download and install the software.
The prompt to update to Windows 11. Image courtesy of Microsoft
- To download and install, select Download and Install. Configure Windows 11 settings by following the instructions on the screen
If you don’t notice the free Windows 11 update and your PC is compatible, you may be able to skip the waiting period by utilizing Microsoft’s new Installation Assistant, which is available now. We’ve put up a tutorial to help you avoid the line while upgrading to Windows 11.
- If you don’t notice the free Windows 11 update and your PC is compatible, you may be able to skip the waiting period by utilizing Microsoft’s new Installation Assistant, which can be downloaded here. You may bypass the line to update to Windows 11 by using this instructions we’ve put together.
Previously, installing Windows required burning the necessary files on a CD or DVD. Installing Windows 10 these days is an easy process. A USB flash drive and another computer with internet connection are all you’ll need to complete this task. You’ll need a Windows machine that’s already set up and connected to the internet in order to prepare the Windows installation files for downloading. After that is completed, you will transfer them to the new computer.
Preparing your installation files
Windows installation used to entail burning a CD or DVD with the necessary files and installing them. It is now quite simple to install the most recent version of Windows 10. A USB flash drive and another computer with internet connection are all you’ll need to complete the task. A Windows PC that has previously been configured and is connected to the internet will be required to prepare the Windows installation files. You’ll then transfer them to the new computer after that’s finished.
Installing the files
1.You’ll need to modify the boot sequence of the computer in order for it to identify the USB device. Begin by turning on your computer and hitting the appropriate key to activate the UEFI or BIOS controls at startup – this is often accomplished by pressing F1, F2, Escape, or Delete as soon as the machine is turned on. 2.When the starting menu displays, navigate to the “boot” control panel and verify that your computer is configured to boot from a USB flash drive. 3. Then save the UEFI/BIOS file and leave the program.
- Now all you have to do is follow the on-screen directions to install Windows on your computer.
- Insider Photographs by Justin Gmoser and Jeremy Dreyfuss 4.
- If you don’t have a key yet, you can wait until the files have been installed before entering the key you will need.
- Some functionality will be disabled, but the operating system will still be fully functional in its entirety.
- Dave Johnson is a musician and songwriter from the United Kingdom.
- Dave grew up in New Jersey before joining the Air Force, where he worked as a satellite operator, space operations instructor, and space launch planning specialist.
- A photographer who has shot wolves in their natural surroundings, Dave is also a dive instructor and the co-host of many podcasts, all of which can be found on his website.
More:Tech How to Install Windows 10 (Installation Guide) It denotes the presence of an expanding section or menu, as well as the presence of previous and next navigation choices.
How to Install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive (with Pictures)
The USB drive will not be recognized by the computer unless you modify the boot order. Upon starting the computer, hit the appropriate key to activate the UEFI or BIOS controls, which is often accomplished by pressing F1, F2, Escape, or Delete as the machine begins to boot. 2.When the starting menu displays, navigate to the “boot” control menu and verify that your computer is configured to boot from a USB flash drive. 2. Then save the UEFI/BIOS file and leave the application. The machine should immediately start the Windows 10 installation application when it resumes, if it is booted from the USB device.
- As soon as your BIOS has been configured, the Windows 10 installer should be able to load from your USB device.
- In order to finish the Windows 10 setup, you’ll need a license key, but you won’t really need it to get Windows started or to function properly.
- To input a product key later, select “I don’t have a product key” from the drop-down menu.
- Although certain functionality may be disabled, the operating system will remain fully functional.
- Dwayne Johnson is a writer and musician who lives in the United Kingdom.
- Originally from New Jersey, Dave joined the Air Force to operate satellites, teach space operations, and arrange space launches.
- A content lead on the Windows team at Microsoft followed, during which he spent eight years.
- Besides being the author of more than a dozen books, Dave also contributes to a variety of websites and magazines such as CNET, Forbes, PC World, How To Geek, and the Insider.
- An expanded section or menu, as well as previous / next navigation choices, are shown by this symbol (see below).
How to Install Windows 10
Note: You won’t be able to get a new system install without erasing all of your applications and personal data, so make a backup of everything that is crucial to you before you begin this procedure. The finest free backup software for Windows 10 may be found here.
Step 1: Buy Windows 10
*Be sure to do this on a machine that is typically operational. Because you can no longer receive a free upgrade to Windows 10, purchasing Windows 10 should be your first step. Please complete this step by visiting the Microsoft Online Store. In reality, what you are purchasing is a license key that will allow you to activate Windows 10.
Anyone may download and use Windows 10 for a period of 30 days without the need for a license key. A license, on the other hand, is necessary for permanent access. Also see:Differences between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro
Step 2: Create Windows 10 Installation Media
*Be sure to do this on a machine that is typically operational. Traditional Windows 10 installation methods include downloading the ISO files, burning them to DVD using third-party software, and then installing Windows 10 from the DVD. Fortunately, Microsoft now provides a user-friendlyMicrosoft Media Creation Tool to assist you in creating the installation media for your software application. Please go here to download and install this utility. Accept the terms of the Microsoft software licensing agreement when prompted, and then select “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC” before pressing the Next button.
- You have the option of accepting the recommended alternatives or making your own decision.
- The third step requires you to pick between creating a Windows 10 installation USB or extracting an ISO file from an ISO file (you will need to burn it to a DVD later by yourself).
- Please consider the above case in particular.
- Once you have selected the detachable drive from the list, make sure you have copied any data you wish to keep off it since the disk will be formatted while the Windows installation disc is being created.
- The application will begin downloading Windows 10 and any applicable updates to your USB drive, enabling you to boot from the disk and install Windows 10 later.
- At this point, click Finish to close the window.
Step 3: Install Windows 10 on SSD/HDD
*Do this on the PC that will be used. How can I install Windows 10 from a USB drive if I have the Windows 10 installation media? For further information, please see the comprehensive instructions below: Start by connecting the USB flash drive to the computer or laptop where Windows 10 will be installed. Then restart the computer, and it should begin booting from the flash drive automatically. If this is not the case, go into the BIOS and make sure the machine is configured to boot from the USB device (using the arrow keys to put it in the first place in the boot sequence).
- Confirm the language to be installed, the time and currency format, as well as the keyboard or input method, before proceeding.
- (“I don’t have a product key,” for example, allows you to skip this step and select the Windows 10 edition you want.
You will be needed to provide the license key later if you choose to ignore the warning.) 5. Accept the terms of the licensing agreement and click Next. 6. At this point, you must make your own decision. Take, for example, the second of the two options.
- If you choose this option, you will be able to keep all of your data, settings, and apps stored in the system partition. It should be noted, however, that it is only available if a compatible version of Windows is currently operating on the machine
- For example,: This will completely erase all of your data, settings, and apps, and will provide you with a fresh installation of Windows 10. This is the option to use if you wish to completely erase your hard drive and start again, or if you are installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive or SSD. We strongly advise you to make a backup of your files before continuing.
7. It is dependent on what you see on the next screen. However, in order to install Windows 10, you must first select a place and then click Next. The following is an example of Situation A: If you just have a new drive attached, you will see a Drive 0 Unallocated Space listed in that location. To install Windows 10 on a new hard drive, just choose the disk and click Next to begin the process of installing Windows 10 on a new drive. Situation B: If you have more than one hard disk attached to your computer, you will be presented with a screen displaying a number of drives labeled “Drive 0,” “Drive 1,” and so on.
- If a drive is already partitioned, you will see things like “Drive 0 Unallocated Space”, “Drive 1 Partition 2”, and so on.
- You should double-check that you’re removing files and partitions from the proper disk, and that you’ve backed up everything you might need before proceeding.
- If this occurs, continue with the installation.
- The installation is mostly automated, but keep a watch on it and be prepared to address any queries that may arise.
- In truth, the procedure is same in both cases.
- The operations that follow are exactly the same as the previous ones.
Step 4: Sign in Windows 10
*Do this on the PC that will be used. As soon as the installer has completed its task, Windows 10 will start up, check for available updates, ask you a few questions, sign in with your Microsoft account, and begin preparing your computer. It’s important to go through the questions and alternatives at the beginning of the process since selecting the settings implies that a significant quantity of personal data will be shared to Microsoft’s servers for the sake of convenience. For example, information is retained so that Cortana is aware of your existence and can be more helpful.
When you have finally arrived at the Windows 10 desktop, connect to the network and wait a few moments while Windows 10 searches for drivers for your specific hardware configuration.
Furthermore, after Windows 10 is installed, you will be required to manually move your data and install the applications.
“Thanks to the clear and illustrated tutorial, I was able to simply generate a Windows 10 installation USB and complete the entire installation procedure.” To send a tweet, simply click here.
A professional Windows 10 migration application allows you to simply move Windows 10 from one disk to another without having to reinstall the operating system on your computer. Choosing this option is preferable if one of the following conditions applies to you:
- A problem with your hard disk has arisen, and you must act quickly to replace the failing drive. As a result, your hard drive is running out of disk space, and you prefer to move all of your data to a larger storage device. You wish to move Windows 10 to a high-performance solid-state drive (SSD)
- You’ve got another machine with the identical settings that you’d want to install it on
As a result of its user-friendly interface and great performance, MiniTool Partition Wizard is highly recommended in this situation. Get hold of this partition magic and get started. (It is compatible with Windows 10/8/7 and all versions.) Purchase Right Away Preparatory work to be done:
- Start a Windows 10 PC that you wish to clone and let it boot up
- Connect a hard drive that has the same sector size as the Windows 10 system disk to that PC (preferably through SATA) and verify that it is correctly recognized by the operating system. Additionally, be certain that any critical files have been backed up and that this disk is capable of being rewritten. Download, install, and start MiniTool Partition Wizard on that computer, then run it to access the main interface.
Option 1: Migrate Windows 10 to SSD
MiniTool Partition Wizard simplifies the process of migrating an operating system to an SSD or hard drive. In other words, you will be able to copy Windows 10 to the new disk without first having to do an installation. Here’s how to set up Windows 10 on a brand new computer: 1. After you’ve completed the above-mentioned preparation work, go to the MiniTool Partition Wizard action panel and select “Migrate OS to SSD/HD.” 2. On the following page, pick Option B – only replicate the partitions that are required by the system – and click Next.
- Select the prepared disk as the destination disk and then click Next to proceed with the process.
- Because you have completed the preliminary work, you will need to confirm your decision by clicking Yes.
- When you’re finished, click Next to proceed.
- Keep in mind that the option “Use GUID Partition Table for the target disk” is beneficial in the process of cloning the MBR to the GPT and is only accessible in the premium versions.
- Read the dialog that says “how to boot from the new disk” and then click Finish.
- To complete the pending procedures, click the Apply button.
- When you’re finished, connect the target hard drive to your computer and configure your machine to boot from the newly installed Windows 10 hard disk when you turn it on.
Option 2: Clone Windows 10 to New Drive
Migrating the operating system to an SSD or hard drive is simple using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Thus, instead of needing to install Windows 10, you can just copy and paste it into the new disk. Installing Windows 10 on a new computer may be accomplished in the following ways: 1. After you’ve completed the above-mentioned preparation work, go to the MiniTool Partition Wizard action panel and select “Migrate OS to SSD/HD.” 2. Choose Option B – copy just the partitions that are required by the system – and click Next on the following screen.
If the target disk is not completely empty, you will receive a warning notice stating that all data on the drive will be deleted.
The copy settings and modifications that will be made to the destination disk may both be customized and previewed here.
Regardless of whether you select “fit partitions to full disk” or “copy partitions with resizing,” you may adjust the partition size by dragging the slider bar in the lowest half of the window.
Allowing your computer to restart will assist Partition Wizard in completing its task more quickly and efficiently.
All that needs to be done now is to connect your computer’s hard drive to the target disk and configure your machine to boot from the newly installed Windows 10 hard drive. Place Your Order Immediately!
- Make a selection of the disk that requires copying and then select Copy Disk Wizard from the action menu. By selecting Next, you will bypass the welcome page. To proceed, select the disk that you just created as the target disk and click Next to proceed
- You may either click Next to confirm your copy settings or adjust certain copy options before you do so
- Read the material on the next page and make a note of it for future reference. Then click on the Finish button. Finally, click the Apply button to begin the cloning process for Windows 10. When you are required to restart your computer, follow the instructions.
“This free partition manager – MiniTool Partition Wizard – does a lot for me, and it’s quite easy to use. “I can use it to move Windows 10 to another hard drive, eliminating the time-consuming system installation and configuration, data moving, and program installation that would otherwise be required.” To send a tweet, simply click here.
Now It’s Your Turn
After reading this article, you should be aware of how to install Windows 10 on a new hard drive or an existing drive, as well as how to clone Windows 10 to another hard drive for immediate use. In the event that you have any suggestions for additions, please share them in the accompanying comment area. If you have any questions about how to use the MiniTool program, please don’t hesitate to contact us using the information below.