- 1 How to open and convert HEIC files to JPEG on Windows 10
- 2 What is HEIC?
- 3 How to open HEIC files on Windows 10
- 4 1. Get the HEIF and HEVC extensions for Windows 10
- 5 2. Open HEIC files with Windows 10 Photos app
- 6 3. Save a copy as JPEG
- 7 How to quickly convert HEIC files to JPEG in Windows 10
- 8 Summary
- 9 How to open HEIC file in windows desktop
- 10 Effective Ways to Open HEIC Files on Windows 10/11
- 11 What Are HEIC Files Anyway?
- 12 What Can I Do for Corrupted HEIC Files?
- 13 Final Words
- 14 Other popular Articles From Wondershare
- 15 How to add HEIF codec support on Windows 10
- 16 How to fix HEIF codec support on Windows 10
- 17 Here’s how to view HEIC photos from your iPhone in Windows 10 & convert to JPG
- 18 What is an HEIC file?
- 19 How do I open an HEIC file in Windows 10?
- 20 How to convert HEIC to JPG
- 21 Share as JPG from your iPhone
- 22 How can I stop my iPhone saving photos in HEIC format?
- 23 How to Open HEIC Photos in
- 24 What are.HEIC Files
- 25 Why Can’t I Use the HEIC File Format on Windows 10
- 26 Enabling HEIC Support
- 27 Enabling HEVC Support
- 28 What If I Have the Codecs Installed?
- 29 What If Nothing Worked?
- 30 HEIC/HEVC Extensions
- 31 How to Open HEIC files in Windows 11
- 32 How to open HEIC files on Windows 11
- 33 How to open HEIC files on Windows 10/11
- 34 How do I open HEIC files on Windows PC?
- 35 Frequently Asked Questions
How to open and convert HEIC files to JPEG on Windows 10
(Image courtesy of TechRadar) When you try to use those photographs on a Windows 10 computer, you may run into difficulties. If you’re attempting to open them and your computer informs you that it is unable to do so, you are not completely out of luck. HEIC files may be opened and converted to the more user-friendly JPEG format in Windows 10, in addition to being opened. HEIC is a term that you may not be familiar with, but if you are using aniPhone, you are already utilizing it. According to the developers, the new format is an incredibly efficient picture encoder that offers at least the same quality as JPEG in a significantly less file size.
Also not an Apple format, HEIC was created by the same team that created the MPEG standard.
There isn’t much of a difference between storing photographs in HEIC and other formats on the iPhone; you won’t notice any difference.
What is HEIC?
Apple named its container for the HEIF (High Efficiency Picture File) image format, which is based on the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Compression) video standard. HEIC is the acronym for High Efficiency Image File Container. The result is high-quality photographs that take up less storage space as a result of a more current compression approach, which is beneficial to you. Although you may turn off HEIC on the iPhone, it has subsequently been Apple’s default photo storage format since its launch in iOS 11 last year.
How to open HEIC files on Windows 10
While the first time you attempt to open a HEIC file on Windows 10 may be met with disappointment, do not be discouraged. You can repair this problem in a matter of minutes, and you’ll be able to access your photographs immediately. Although you would expect support to be built into Windows 10, this is not the case at the present time, which means we must rely on a few of third-party additions to get by. (Photo courtesy of TechRadar.)
1. Get the HEIF and HEVC extensions for Windows 10
The extensions you’ll require are known as HEIF Image Extensions and HEVC Video Extensions, respectively. Installing both from the Store will get you up and running quickly. However, the HEIF extension is completely free, whereas the HEVC extension requires $0.99/£0.79 per month. Windows 10 extensions that you require may be obtained from the Microsoft Store by clicking on the link provided below. If you want to open HEIC files, you’ll need two different file extensions: one for HEIF and another for HEVC.
(Photo courtesy of TechRadar.)
2. Open HEIC files with Windows 10 Photos app
It is not necessary to do any more actions after you have installed the two extensions from the previous step. Now that Windows 10 Photos has been updated, your HEIC files should open by default.
To open a picture in the Photos app instead of another program that is currently configured as the default for photos, just right click on the image and pick ‘Open with’ and then ‘Photos’ from the drop-down menu that appears. (Photo courtesy of TechRadar.)
3. Save a copy as JPEG
It’s possible that you’ll still encounter compatibility difficulties with other applications and services even after you’ve successfully opened your HEIC files on Windows 10. Any picture files you intend to utilize should be saved as JPEGs, so make a duplicate of them before using them. The following steps will help you achieve this in the Photos app: first, hit the ‘EditCreate’ button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and then choose “Edit.” Now, in the bottom left-hand corner, click the ‘Save a copy’ option to save your work.
Then click ‘Save’, and you will have an exact copy of your image, only this time it will be a JPEG file rather than a HEIC.
How to quickly convert HEIC files to JPEG in Windows 10
Using the Windows 10 Photos app to open an image and save a copy is fine if you just have one image, or even a small number of images, but what if you have a large number of images that you would like to convert? This strategy isn’t really effective. The iMazing HEIC Converter program, available for free from the Microsoft Store, is being used to convert bigger batches of images. Lightweight and relatively simple to operate, this device is ideal for beginners. To convert files, all you have to do is drag and drop them into the program window once it’s been installed and launched on your computer.
Once you’re satisfied with your options, click ‘Convert’, go to the location where you want to store the file, and click ‘OK’.
When utilizing HEIC over JPEG for the first time, there may be some growing pains, especially if you are using an iPhone in conjunction with a Windows 10 computer. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be a time-consuming procedure, and with the tools and extensions we’ve discussed here, you can easily include your HEIC files into your typical workday without any difficulty.
- What is the greatest camera phone in 2021? Here are our top selections for the finest smartphone cameras available right now.
How to open HEIC file in windows desktop
Answer The following four conditions must be met in order to read a HEIC/HEIF file on a Windows 10 computer. 1. Upgrade Windows 10 to version 1809 or higher. 2. In the Microsoft Store, download ‘Microsoft Photos’ (which was released by Microsoft and is completely free), and set it as the default photo viewer for Windows. 3. Download the ‘HEIF Image Extensions’ from the Microsoft Store (Released by Microsoft and Free) HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer may be obtained through the Microsoft Store (Released by Microsoft and Free) Please keep in mind that there are two versions of the ‘HEVC Video Extensions’, one that costs $1 and one that is free; the free version may be obtained at the following URL_OCID=AID681541 aff 7593 159229 tduid= The function (UUwpUdUnU56397YYd) returns the value (ir wJC0gNTClQca0BAzqwxkEXPhUkjTGXQhW1412Y0)(7593),(159229), and the value (ir wJC0gNTClQca0BAzqwxkEXPhUkjTGXQhW1412Y0) returns the value (ir activetab=pivot:overviewtab 140 people found this response to be useful Was this response of assistance?
Sorry if this wasn’t of assistance.
Thank you for taking the time to provide comments. What level of satisfaction do you have with this response? Thank you for your feedback; it allows us to make improvements to the site. What level of satisfaction do you have with this response? Thank you for taking the time to provide comments.
Answer In response to a previously deleted message IS IT POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE THIS A STICKY? This is the fourth time I’ve posted. Free, as in there is no cost, no Bitcoins (of any worth), and no Dollars are required. Here’s where you can get a FREE codec: Codecs.com | DownloadsforHEVC Video Extension 1.0.41483. Despite the fact that it says ‘Video,’ this allows HEIC functionality in the Windows environment. again: Codecs.com offers a free codec with downloads for the HEVC Video Extension 1.0.41483 (High-Definition Video) (free-codecs.com) (I have no affiliation with codecs.com and am only attempting to assist.) technology that is completely self-sufficient This reply was useful to 57 people.
- Was this response of assistance?
- What level of satisfaction do you have with this response?
- What level of satisfaction do you have with this response?
Effective Ways to Open HEIC Files on Windows 10/11
Your photographs’ aesthetic appeal may undoubtedly be enhanced by image editing. You may, however, run into a number of difficulties while trying to open HEIC files on Windows. It’s a shame, really. Prepare yourself by clicking on the ‘Check Now’ button for assistance. If you’ve never heard of HEIC before, but you use an iPhone, the odds are good that you’re already utilizing its services. When you’re trying to open a HEIC file on your computer and your computer informs you that you can’t, it may be quite aggravating.
It’s possible that you’re attempting to utilize the image on your Windows 10/11 computer and are receiving error warnings.
You are not need to destroy the file because there are other options available to you.
What Are HEIC Files Anyway?
HEIC is utilized by Apple, despite the fact that MPEG designed it. It is the moniker that the company uses to refer to the High-Efficiency Image File (HEIF) image format that it has developed. It is based on the video standard known as High-Efficiency Video Compression (HEVC). The HEIC format is popular because it allows you to view high-quality photographs while not consuming a lot of storage space on your computer. The reason behind this is that it makes use of the most up-to-date compression technology.
Recently, the HEIC format has supplanted the older JPG format in popularity.
It accomplishes this while still maintaining the image’s overall quality.
The following are some of the most important advantages and disadvantages of this picture format:
- It necessitates minimal storage space. It is in favor of transparency
- It has the capability of storing many photographs in a single file. It keeps track of picture alterations in case you want to go back and undo them
- Additionally, it supports 16-bit color.
When you attempt to use a HEIC file on your Windows 10 computer, you may encounter some difficulties. It is possible to use a variety of techniques to open the file, and they will all be completed in short order. Some of the ways listed below will have your HEIC file ready in a short period of time.
1. Add HEIC support via an extension on Windows 10/11
When it comes to getting your HEIC files to function on your Windows 10 PC, there is one option that you may use: adding HEIC support to your PC. Gaining access to the HEIC extension will improve the file format’s ability to function properly on Windows 10. The ‘HEIF Image Extension’ and the ‘HEVC Video Extension’ are extensions that allow Windows 10 to read and write the picture format even when there is no hardware support for it. Despite the fact that the HEIF extension is free, the HEVC extension will cost you $0.99.
By installing these extensions, the files will open on your Windows 10 computer when you click on them in the future. You may see them using a variety of picture viewing applications. Follow the procedures outlined below to enable HEIC support on Windows 10.
- Make a purchase from the Microsoft shop using your mobile browser
- Make use of the search box at the top of the page to look for the HEIC image extension and the HEVC video extension
- When the extension is shown, click on Get and then follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the extension on Windows 10 (if necessary). You would be need to purchase the HEVC extension.
- Having completed the installation of the extension, you may attempt to open your HEIC file once more.
2. Resetting image extension
Another approach you might try is resetting the image extension to its default value. This is only an option if the extensions that have been installed do not function properly. By following the steps outlined below, you may re-enable the image extensions on Windows 10 so that HEIC files can be opened.
- To begin, go to your PC’s settings and select Apps and Features from the drop-down menu. On the newly opened page, select either the HEVC video extension or the HEIF picture extension.
- Select advanced settings from the drop-down menu that appears
- Then scroll down to the Reset option and choose it. You will be required to confirm your selection
- Click on Reset one again to do so.
Your extensions will be reset as a result of this action. You may then try to open HEIC files on Windows 10 again using a player that is compatible with them after the process is complete. If this was the issue, the door should have opened without a hitch.
3. Convert the HEIC files
Another approach for ensuring that your HEIC file is compatible with Windows 10 is to convert the file. You have the option of converting it to a JPEG or a PNG. It will be easier to access HEIC files on Windows 10 after they have been converted. Online converters are available to help you convert your HEIC files to various picture file formats. Here are a few examples. CopyTrans, for example, is capable of converting several files at the same time. In addition, you will need to convert the HEIC file before you can use it in an image editor such as Photoshop or other similar software.
- You might also consider using the VLC media player to convert your HEIC file, which is a free program available.
- After that, select the file that you want to convert rapidly and click on the ‘convert’ button.
- After making your selection, click on the Save button.
- If this method does not work, there are other options that can be tried instead.
4. Use Windows plugin to open HEIC files on Windows 10/11
You may also use a Windows plugin to open the HEIC picture file on a PC if you have one installed. If you choose for this technique, you will not be able to modify the file in Lightroom or Photoshop at all. It will, however, let you to properly insert HIC format photos into word documents. You may utilize CopyTrans to get the window plugin to work properly so that you could successfully download plugins into your PC. You will be able to open the HEIC file on your Windows 10/11 computer when you have downloaded the plugins.
5. Change iPhone settings before importing
It is possible to make changes to the parameters of your HEIC file before uploading the contents from your iPhone device to your computer. The ‘transfer to MAC or PC’ settings would need to be changed in your preferences. Change the iPhone settings for your HEIC file by following the steps outlined in the next section.
- On your iPhone, go to the settings menu and select General. Alternatively, go to pictures and select ‘Transfer to MAC or PC.’ Select “automatic” from the drop-down menu that appears.
Making this change guarantees that when you transmit a HEIC file to your PC, it will be converted to the HEIF format automatically on your computer.
It is not true that this format is only effective for images taken once your iPhone device has been set to automatically capture them.
What Can I Do for Corrupted HEIC Files?
You may not be able to prevent your HEIC file from becoming corrupted at times. Your HEIC file may not open even after you have provided support for it to play on your Windows 10/11 computer. It’s possible that an error notice may appear, or that the file will become grayed out. When this occurs, it is rather obvious that the file has been corrupted or somehow damaged. When this happens, you’ll need a professional HEIC repair tool, such as Wondershare Repairit, to get the job done. It will assist you in repairing corrupt HEIC files on your iPhone or PC with this repair program.
It does not alter the original data, and it will assist you in extracting the thumbnails of the files from the actual files.
- In addition, it can correct pixelated, greyed-out, or blurred photographs
- It can even mend shattered pictures. It may also fix photos that have corrupted file structures, broken headers, or data that is corrupted. It also encourages the use of batch fixes. In other words, you may fix many photographs at the same time. You may preview corrected photographs before saving them in case the image requires more extensive correction.
Procedures for repairing damaged HEIC image files Step 1: Download and install Wondershare Repairit on your Windows 10 or Windows 11 computer. Step number two. The first page asks you to add files; click on add files to browse through your computer’s folders and choose the ones you wish to include. Step 3: After you’ve selected the files you want to fix, click on the repair button to begin the process. To check that all of the files have been correctly repaired, you may preview each one once they have completed repair.
When you are unable to access your HEIC file on your Windows 10/11 computer, it might be annoying, just like any other new difficulty you encounter. You do not, however, have to abandon the procedure entirely. To open HEIC files on your Windows 10 computer, you may utilize a variety of various applications and extensions. There are a variety of extensions and plugins available for usage with the HEIC file on your Windows 10/11 computer. In addition, if you wish to modify the image on alternative editing tools, such as Photoshop or Lightroom, you may opt to convert the file.
This program is a professional application that you may use to repair a damaged or corrupted file and return it to its original state.
High-Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) is a container for images and videos designed specifically to improve file compression while at the same time maintaining image quality and providing additional benefits over older formats (JPEG, PNG, and GIF) and videos using the High-Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) specification on computing devices. Despite the fact that the file format has been around for a long time, it wasn’t until Apple began utilizing the HEIF container to store images on its devices that it gained widespread popularity, and other businesses began incorporating it into their own platforms.
On Windows 10, support for HEIF is included with every installation from the October 2018 Update, and it is enabled by default.
If you wish to watch H.265 videos, you’ll need to install the HEVC extension on your browser. In this Windows 10 article, we’ll walk you through the steps to enable full support for HEIF on a device, allowing you to skip the need to convert HEIC to JPG in order to see photographs in the first place.
- Instructions on how to enable HEIF codec support in Windows 10
- The solution to the HEIF codec support issue in Windows 10
How to add HEIF codec support on Windows 10
If the codecs are not already installed on Windows 10, you will need to download and install them from the Microsoft Store, if they are not already installed. The only drawback is that if you have to obtain them manually, you may come across the paid version of the essential extensions, which would be a disappointment. However, by following these procedures, you may be able to obtain them for free. The following are the procedures to enable HEIF support on Windows 10:
- To begin, open your chosen web browser. Then navigate to theHEVC extension page in the Microsoft Store and click the Get(orInstall/Open) button. Windows Central is the source of this information. Point to keep in mind: The free option is only available while you are logged into your Microsoft account. Otherwise, you will be prompted to redeem a code in order to obtain it. Click theOpenbutton
- Then click theInstallbutton
- And so on. Windows Central is the source of this information. Go to the HEIF extension page in the Microsoft Store and install it. To obtain (or install/open) something, click the Get(orInstall/Open) button. Windows Central is the source of this information. Click theOpenbutton
- And so on.
Once you’ve completed the procedures, you should be able to view “heic”file extensions encoded using the HEIF container using Photos or another suitable tool, such as the Microsoft Paint application, once they’ve been successfully converted.
How to fix HEIF codec support on Windows 10
If you are having trouble seeing photographs and videos in this format in the Photos app, you may reset the extensions to fix the majority of the typical difficulties with this format.
Reset HEIF extension
Use the following techniques to resolve HEIF issues on Windows 10:
- Open the Settings menu and select the Appsfeatures option. Select the HEIF Image Extensionsitem from the “Appsfeatures” section
- Then click on the “Advanced settings” button. Windows Central is the source of this information. To start over, use theResetbutton. Windows Central is the source of this information. Once more, press theResetbutton.
As soon as you’ve completed the instructions, photographs stored in the HEIF container should now be accessible through compatible programs such as the Photos app.
Reset HEVC extension
Follow these procedures to resolve HEVC problems on Windows 10:
- Open the Settings menu and select the Appsfeatures option. Select theHEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufactureritem from the “Appsfeatures” section of the “Appsfeatures” menu. Select the advanced settings from the drop-down menu. Windows Central is the source of this information. To restart your computer, press theResetbutton. Source: Windows Central Once more, press theResetbutton.
You should now be able to play back any video encoded with the HEIF container on any supported program, such as MoviesTV or Windows Media Player, after you have completed the instructions.
More Windows 10 resources
More useful information, coverage, and answers to frequently asked concerns regarding Windows 10 may be found at the following websites and resources:
- Everything you need to know about Windows 10 on Windows Central
- Help, hints, and tips for using Windows 10
- Windows 10 discussion boards are available on Windows Central.
If you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links, we may receive a commission. It was not going to work.
5 reasons why Microsoft canceling ‘Project Andromeda’ was the right choice
Because of our reporting, Microsoft’s Project Andromeda was given a thorough reveal. While many Microsoft fans are disappointed with the company’s decision to terminate the project, there are very few grounds to assume it would have been a success. Here are five explanations for why it was a good idea to murder the operating system. Still on the chopping block
We take a look at Microsoft’s canceled Andromeda OS project
Ever wondered what Microsoft’s scrapped version of Windows for the Surface Duo would have looked like? Well, now you can find out. We now have our very first hands-on look at a pre-release build from mid-2018 operating on a Lumia 950, putting an end to all of your questions. Andromeda OS has previously been revealed to you in mockups, and now it’s time to witness it in action on video.
Here’s how to view HEIC photos from your iPhone in Windows 10 & convert to JPG
The HEIC file format has been Apple’s preferred file format for storing images on the iPhone and iPad since iOS 11. The trend away from JPG is motivated by the need to lower file sizes as well as its other advantages, such as the ability to combine several photographs (from a burst sequence, for example) into a single file. Android 9 (Pie) has also added support for this high-efficiency format, and it may be worthwhile to use it if your phone does not already store images in this current format while taking pictures.
Although Microsoft included support for HEIC (and HEIF) files in version 1809 (the October 2018 update), you may still have to go through a few hoops before the native Photos app will launch and allow you to see these files.
What is an HEIC file?
If you copy images from a recent iPhone or iPad to a PC or laptop, you’re likely to encounter a slew of unusual HEIC files, including the following: Because the format was established by MPEG, not Apple, it is not an example of Apple attempting to create its own proprietary format. In reality, the HEIC format is slowly but steadily displacing the established (but outdated and defective) JPG format. Images with the extension a.heic are compressed using HEVC, which is a video codec that is known for its excellent efficiency.
There are several advantages to utilizing HEIF files, even if the file is referred to as HEIC rather than HEIF, which might be a little confusing at times.
- For the same quality, it is around half the size of a JPG. It has the ability to save numerous photographs in a single file (which is perfect for Live Photos and bursts)
- Transparency is supported, similar to GIF files. The ability to save picture adjustments such as cropping and rotating so that you can go back and undo them
- Support for 16-bit color is opposed to JPG’s 8-bit
How do I open an HEIC file in Windows 10?
Make certain that you are using Windows 10 version 1809 or later. When in doubt, put winver into the search box located in the bottom-left corner of the Windows 10 desktop and hit Enter. If the version is less than 1809, open the Settings app and choose UpdateSecurityWindows Update from the drop-down menu. After that, you must download and install the support software, which is accessible on the Microsoft Store under the name HEIF Image Extensions. It normally costs £0.79/US$0.99, however it is possible that it is already installed on your smartphone for no further charge.
In addition, it will cost you £0.79/US$0.99, although it seems like a little amount to pay for the additional capabilities.
More information on how to open H.265 videos may be found in our separate guide: How to install HEVC codecs on a Windows operating system.
Double-clicking on an.heic files should now open them in the default Windows 10 Photos app, rather than the default Windows Explorer.
How to convert HEIC to JPG
When you open a file, it will function in the same way as a standard JPG. Even if you don’t make any adjustments to your photo after clicking on the ‘EditCreate’ button at the top right of the screen, you’ll see that the bottom of the screen has a blue ‘Save a copy’ option that allows you to save it again in whatever format you like, including JPG. That approach is good if you only want to convert the occasional photo, but there are many easier ways to convert a large number of photographs to JPG format in bulk.
If you want greater control over your JPG images, such as the amount of JPG compression, file renaming, and other options, check out Duckhead’s HEIC to JPG – The HEIC Image Converter, which is available on the Microsoft Store.
This example makes use of iMazing converter, a tiny program that allows you to drag and drop files while selecting whether they should be converted to JPG or PNG format as well as the destination folder. Apple users will find it simple to convert a HEIC file to a JPEG on their Mac.
If you’d prefer not to convert files on your computer, you may pick and share photographs through the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad, either via email or uploading to a cloud storage service, as long as the photos are still on your device. When you do this, the images will be automatically converted to JPEG format. In order to maintain the highest quality when sharing through email, always use the largest file size possible. Furthermore, if you use a cloud storage service like as Google Drive, you should notice that the files will be stored with the.jpeg extension by default.
How can I stop my iPhone saving photos in HEIC format?
Camera may be found in the Settings app if you open it and scroll down. Then select Formats from the drop-down menu. You’ll see this page, and you’ll need to adjust the setting from High Efficiency to Most Compatible to proceed: You might be interested in our iPhone photography tips for capturing great images with your iPhone. The situation is identical for videos, as H.265 files require a codec in order to be seen in some programs, and vice versa. Learn more about HEVC codecs in our tutorial on how to install them on Windows.
Author: Jim Martin, Editor
More than two decades have elapsed since Jim began testing and reviewing items. His primary areas of expertise include VPN services, antivirus software, and web hosting. He also writes on electric bikes, dashboard cameras, and smart home technology.
How to Open HEIC Photos in
Consider the following scenario: you took some beautiful images at a birthday celebration with your brand new iPhone or iPad and you want to transfer them to your Windows 10 computer. You attach the device to the computer and transfer the files, but Windows refuses to open any of the files you transfer. This is due to the fact that iOS devices shoot images in the HEIC (and occasionally in the HEIF) format. You must follow these steps in order for them to function properly on your computer.
What are.HEIC Files
Let us begin by delving a little deeper into the nature of this file format. HEIC is essentially a container for images and videos. It improves the image quality of the files while at the same time increasing their compression. It is compatible with the photo formats PNV, JPEG, and GIF. For videos, the High-Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) has similar effects.
Why Can’t I Use the HEIC File Format on Windows 10
Since the October 2018 update, Windows 10 has been able to recognize HEIC. So you’re wondering why your operating system is unable to open them. After all, Windows 10 is the most recent operating system from Microsoft, and you’ve selected automatic updates. This update, on the other hand, is designed to be automated. The majority of users have gotten it in connection with their HEIC (image) codecs. HEVC is a video compression format that everyone should use when watching videos. Having said that, Windows updates might get confused and delayed from time to time.
The most important thing you can do is take issues into your own hands. Updates in the Microsoft Store are the first thing you should look for on your computer’s system. Microsoft released an upgrade in October 2020 to address security problems that had been discovered in the Windows Codecs Library.
- Open the Microsoft Store and select theLibraryin the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Once you have done this, click on Get updates or read down the list to see whether an update for your HEIF File Extension is available. Then try to open the file using Photos once more to see if it works. Please continue reading if this does not work for you.
Enabling HEIC Support
As previously stated, HEIC and HEIF files should be compatible with Windows. However, if it is unable to do so, the Photos app should provide a link to the Microsoft Store, where you will be able to download the necessary extensions. If the Photos app does not automatically download the HEIC extensions, you will need to do so manually.
- To access the Microsoft Store, click the Start button and type ” Microsoft Store ” into the search box. After that, click on the Searchbutton, which is situated in the upper-right corner of the window, and put in “HEIF.” Select Get from the HEIF Image Extensionsresult after clicking on it. The extensions will be downloaded and installed on their own accord.
Enabling HEVC Support
As previously stated, the HEVC extensions will not be installed automatically on your Windows PC. This is due to the fact that, unlike the HEIC/HEIF extensions, the HEVC extensions are not free. Microsoft presently charges $0.99 for each of these downloads. For you to be able to download the HEVC Video Extensions, you’ll need to sign into your Microsoft account.
- Then, open the Microsoft Store app and type “HEVC” into the Search field
- Then, choose the first result item and click on $0.99
- And last, close the app. A Microsoft login page will appear
- Sign in
- You will then be prompted to provide your payment method information. Click on “Get started!” to begin. Simply press the Next button to add a method of payment. There are three options available to you here. Using a credit/debit card, a PayPal account, or a mobile phone are all acceptable methods of payment. You will be required to input your credit card information in the first way. When using the second way, you will be prompted to enter your PayPal login credentials
- The mobile phone option is only available through Sprint and Verizon, thus you will not be able to utilize the third method if you are not a customer of either of these two carriers. Having located your service provider, input your phone number, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
After that, you’ll be able to access the HEVC extensions for downloading.
What If I Have the Codecs Installed?
The information in the preceding section should assist you in using the HEIC and HEVC capabilities. Things can, on the other hand, go wrong on Windows from time to time. If this is the case, you will need to re-enable the extensions on your computer. It may be necessary to reinstall them if this does not work.
- Go to Start, enter ” Apps “, and then click onAppsFeatures. Next, scroll down until you find either the HEIF image extensions or the HEVC video extensions, and then click on them to reset them. Even if you haven’t purchased the HEVC extensions, there’s a good possibility that your machine already has them installed. This entry will be shown as HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer on the device’s menu bar. Choose one of the two apps/features from the drop-down menu. Go to Advanced settings, selectReset, and then clickResetagain to confirm your selection before proceeding. Following that, your HEIC/HEVC extensions should be functional.
Uninstalling The HEIF/HEVC Extensions
- To do so, browse back to the Appswindow and locate the HEIC/HEVC extension item, which you should then click. Select Uninstall from the drop-down menu and confirm. This will completely remove the application from your computer.
You’ll have to reinstall it from scratch now. Carry out the procedures outlined above for obtaining and installing the extensions. a.
What If Nothing Worked?
One of the options listed above should have resolved your HEIC/HEVC problem. However, it is possible that the situation is more complex. There are manual methods for resolving this issue. Although they need access to certain registry/BIOS settings, they are not without their risks. The best course of action in this situation would be to contact Microsoft’s technical support.
- To do so, go to and put in ” HEIC, ” ” HEIF, ” or ” HEVC, ” and then browse through the various threads to find what you’re looking for. You should be able to discover a solution in this situation. To access the Get Help app, go to Start and type in “Get Help.” This will initiate a conversation with a virtual assistant
- If none of the solutions provided by the bot are helpful, you will be given the opportunity to speak with a live person.
A large number of users have reported issues with HEIC files. Hopefully, Microsoft will address this issue as quickly as possible. Following this instruction will help you to resolve the photo/video extension problem in the meanwhile. Is there a solution that has been presented here that has worked? Which one, exactly? Did you find the Get Help app to be of assistance? Check out the conversation below for possible solutions, or feel free to contribute your own thoughts or questions.
How to Open HEIC files in Windows 11
(Photo courtesy of Tom’s Hardware.) With images taken by iOS devices starting in 2017, Apple began utilizing the High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) format to store them. This file format, which is also referred to as HEIC files since it has the HEIC extension, offers certain advantages over JPGs, including improved quality, reduced file sizes, and built-in support for high dynamic range (HDR). Although it is possible to access HEIC files in their native format if you are not using an Apple device, this can be a difficult task.
But don’t be concerned, because reading HEIC files on Windows 11 is a rather simple process compared to previous versions.
Simply getting the original HEIC file from iCloud.com is a bit of a pain because Apple believes that Windows customers prefer the JPEG version, which is not the case.
As a result, reading HEIC files will not be mission vital for many individuals; nevertheless, if it is for you, be prepared to part with one dollar.
How to open HEIC files on Windows 11
1.Make an attempt to open a HEIC file with the Photos app on your device. Photos is a built-in picture viewer that comes pre-installed on both Windows 11 and Windows 10 by Microsoft. Due to the fact that it does not by default support HEIC, you’ll have to choose the app from a drop-down menu when you attempt to access your photo. (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Hardware.) 2.Click on the ‘Download and install it immediately’ button. Photos provides a useful link to the HEVC extension, which allows you to access HEIC files (among other types of files) in the Microsoft Store.
- (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Hardware.) 3.Confirm that you wish to start the Microsoft Store by checking the appropriate box.
- (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Hardware.) 4.Click on the ‘$0.99’ button to proceed.
- It may be found on the far left-hand side of the website.
- That is all up to you.
- If this is your first time purchasing something from the Microsoft Store, you’ll see a confirmation box once you’ve picked your payment method (and set it up if this is your first time).
- (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Hardware.) 6.Confirm that the transaction was successful.
- Although clicking it will have no effect, it will indicate that the extension has been successfully installed.
- Make an attempt to reopen the file that you started with.
- (In our instance, it was a vanity plate that we decided to email to a couple of acquaintances while we were out and about).
- In addition to allowing Photos to read photos stored in this format, the extension also adds support for HEIC to built-in tools like as Paint and third-party applications such as Adobe PhotoShop.
- More Windows 11 tutorials may be found at:
- How to Download a Windows 11 ISO File and Perform a Fresh Installation
- In this article, we will show you how to enable God Mode in Windows 11 or 10. How to uninstall Windows 11 and restore Windows 10 to its previous state
- How to Clean Install Windows 11 without the need for a product key
- Windows 11 installation in a virtual machine is described here.
How to open HEIC files on Windows 10/11
- You will learn how to read and work with HEIC files in this article. HEIC is a proprietary file format that is used to store picture files, but you will also learn how to create one. The format was originally developed for Apple phones, but it has now been used by a variety of other devices. Opening and even modifying HEIC files is entirely possible using a solution from Adobe as well as other picture readers. Another valuable tool in the process of learning how to open HEIC files on Windows is another way.
HEIC (High Efficiency Picture Format), sometimes known as HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format), is a new image file format introduced by Apple with the introduction of the iOS 11 platforms in 2017. Apple created this new format in order to replace JPEG on its mobile phones. Because Windows hasn’t completely adopted the new Apple photo format as of yet, its native programs don’t accept the HEIC file format in its default configuration.
HEIC images, on the other hand, may be opened within Windows with the help of some extra software. This is how you can open HEIC files on Windows without having to convert them to an other type of file first.
How do I open HEIC files on Windows PC?
- Make use of Adobe Lightroom
- Install the HEIC image extension on your computer
- Check out CopyTrans HEIC for Windows for more information. HEIC photos may be seen in Dropbox
- HEIC pictures should be opened using specialized software. Apowersoft Photo Viewer may be used to open HEIC photos.
1. Use Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Lightroom is available for free download (you will need to create an Adobe account). Installing it on your computer is simple. To access the Settings menu, press the Start button. Navigate to the Default Appsmenu by selectingApps. Make Adobe Lightroom your default photo viewer by selecting it under Photo viewer. Now, try opening a HEIC file to see what happens.
The fact that HEIC files are so proprietary implies that they will not be accessible to the general public unless they fulfill specific conditions, which are not difficult to achieve. As a result, having an image reader that supports the HEIC format is the quickest method to gain access to HEIC files. Adobe Lightroom is one such picture viewer, and it has supported HEIC image files from the release of Lightroom CC 1.5 and Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 in August 2018. Nothing more complicated than setting Adobe Lightroom as the default picture viewer on your computer, and you’ll be ready to go.
2. Add HEIC image extensions to Windows
If you absolutely must be able to read HEIC images using Windows 10’s default Photos app, you should look into the HEIC Image Extensions. This will download and install the codecs necessary to see the new picture format in Photos. Image Extensions may be downloaded and installed by clicking theGetbutton on the app’sMicrosoft Store page. If you were successful in installing the extensions, you will get a notification stating that the product has been successfully installed. Due to the fact that HEIC makes use of the HEVC codec, you should additionally install the HEVC Video Extensions.
3. Check out CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
In Windows 10, CopyTrans HEIC is a plug-in that enables you to view and open HEIC photos created by other applications. By double-clicking HEIC images in File Explorer after installing this program, you can access them using the native Windows Photos Viewer that comes with the operating system. Furthermore, the program adds compatibility for the format to Microsoft Office products, allowing you to integrate HEIC photos into Word and Excel documents, as well as PowerPoint presentations, for example.
On the CopyTrans HEIC homepage, click theDownloadbutton to save the software’s setup instruction to your computer.
4. Preview HEIC Images in Dropbox
Not all HEICs must be opened with picture viewers, and this is not always necessary. Apple’s new file format is supported by a number of cloud storage providers, including Dropbox, which is one of them. Consequently, Dropbox customers may upload HEIC photographs from Apple iOS 11 devices and see them in their Windows browsers once they have been uploaded. When you’ve finished uploading the file to Dropbox, choose the image and click the eye symbol to the right of it to see a preview.
5. Open HEIC images with dedicated software
To open any file format, the most efficient option is to install software that can open all file types.
There are several excellent solutions available that are compatible with hundreds of different file types. Furthermore, many file openers come with built-in file converting utilities.
6. Open HEIC images with Apowersoft Photo Viewer
Apowersoft Photo Reader is a third-party photo viewer that can open and view the HEIC file format, among other things. The app is compatible with the latest version of Windows 10. You may download and install it by going to thesoftware’s website and clicking on theDownload Desktop Versionbutton. After completing the installation process using the software’s setup wizard, click the.button at the top of the Apowersoft Photo Viewer window and then pick theOpenoption from the drop-down menu. After that, you may select a HEIC image to open within the software program.
With this new feature, you may transfer HEIC photographs from your Apple devices directly to Windows without the need for any additional file conversion software.
If you are aware of any further techniques, please share them with us in the comments area below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What exactly is a HEIC file? High-Efficiency Image Format (HEIF) files are data containers that contain one or more photos that have been stored in the High-Efficiency Image Format (HEIF). Listed below is a tutorial on how to open a HEIC file. Where do HEIC files come into play? HEIC files are the most generally used format for storing photographs on mobile devices, including both Android and iOS devices. What is the best way to open HEIC files on Windows 10? All solutions that will allow you to access HEIC files on Windows 10 will, however, necessitate the installation of additional third-party picture readers.