- 1 You can ditch Edge as the default browser, and here’s how on Windows 10.
- 2 How to change default browser on Windows 10
- 3 Make Chrome your default browser – Computer
- 4 Set Chrome as your default web browser
- 5 Related articles
- 6 How to change your default browser in Windows
- 7 Set your default browser in Windows 10
- 8 How to change your default browser in Windows 10
- 9 How to change your default browser in Windows 7
- 10 How to replace Edge as the default browser in Windows 10 — and why you shouldn’t
- 11 Why you might want to stick with Edge
- 12 How to designate another browser as your default
- 13 How to Change Your Default Web Browser
- 14 Set by Browser
- 15 Windows 10
- 16 Windows 8.1
- 17 Windows 7
- 18 macOS
- 19 iOS and iPadOS
- 20 Android
- 21 How to Make Chrome or Firefox Your Default Browser in Windows 10
- 22 Windows 10 Basics
- 23 How to change your default web browser on Windows 10, where you can install and switch between different browsers
- 24 How to change your default browser to Google Chromeon Windows 10
- 25 Related coverage fromHow To Do Everything: Tech:
- 26 How to change your default browser on Windows 10, macOS, Android and iPhone
- 27 How to change default browser in Windows 10
- 28 How to change default browser in macOS
- 29 How to change default browser in Android
- 30 How to change default browser on iPhone or iPad
- 31 How to Set Chrome as Default Browser in Windows 10
- 32 How to Set Chrome as Default Browser in Windows 10
- 33 Why Switch to Chrome?
- 34 How to Set a Default Browser in Windows
- 35 How to set a default browser in Windows 7Windows 8
- 36 Take back your privacy and security with a free secure browser
- 37 How To Set Google Chrome As Default Browser on Windows 10?
- 38 Windows keeps changing the default browser
- 39 What to do if Windows keeps changing your default browser
- 40 How to Make IE11 the Default Browser in Windows
- 41 How to Set IE as the Default Browser in Windows 10
- 42 How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser for Windows 8 and 7
- 43 How to Change Your Default Browser on a Windows 10 or Mac Computer : HelloTech How
- 44 How to Change Your Default Web Browser on Windows 10
- 45 How to Change Your Default Browser on a Mac Computer
You can ditch Edge as the default browser, and here’s how on Windows 10.
Microsoft Edge is configured as the default web browser experience on Windows 10 after a fresh clean installation or after a fresh device configuration has been performed. In other words, whether you click on a link or when an application makes a web request, the page will appear in Edge regardless of whether or not you have any other apps installed on your computer. Despite the fact that the new version of Microsoft Edge, which is based on Google’s Chromium engine, is more compatible, provides better extension support, and has more features than its predecessor, you may still prefer another browser (such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera) to be the default system browser.
Using this Windows 10 instruction, you’ll discover how to change the default web browser from Microsoft Edge to a different program.
How to change default browser on Windows 10
These are the procedures to do in order to make your chosen web browser the new default on Windows 10:
- Choose Apps
- Select Defaultapps
- And then close Settings. The current default browser should be selected under the “Choose default programs” section. Choose the browser that you wish to use as your new default. For example, Firefox or Google Chrome are two popular browsers. Windows Central is the source of this information.
Once you have completed the procedures, the old browser will continue to be available on your device, but whenever an app needs to open a web page, the new application you chose will be launched instead of the prior one. Although the Settings app simplifies the procedure, most web browsers offer the ability to reach the settings page from within the program itself. To designate Google Chrome as the new default browser, for example, you may go to this website (chrome:/settings/defaultBrowser) and click theMake defaultbutton to enter the Settings app, which allows you to customize your experience.
We will concentrate this post on how to make Chrome or Firefox the new default browser on Windows 10, although you can use whatever browser you choose instead of the ones we recommend.
More Windows 10 resources
More useful information, coverage, and answers to frequently asked concerns regarding Windows 10 may be found at the following websites and resources:
- Everything you need to know about Windows 10 on Windows Central
- Help, hints, and tips for using Windows 10
- Windows 10 discussion boards are available on Windows Central.
5 reasons why Microsoft canceling ‘Project Andromeda’ was the right choice
Because of our reporting, Microsoft’s Project Andromeda was given a thorough reveal. While many Microsoft fans are disappointed with the company’s decision to terminate the project, there are very few grounds to assume it would have been a success. Here are five explanations for why it was a good idea to murder the operating system. Still on the chopping block
We take a look at Microsoft’s canceled Andromeda OS project
Ever wondered what Microsoft’s scrapped version of Windows for the Surface Duo would have looked like?
Well, now you can find out. We now have our very first hands-on look at a pre-release build from mid-2018 operating on a Lumia 950, putting an end to all of your questions. Andromeda OS has previously been revealed to you in mockups, and now it’s time to witness it in action on video.
Make Chrome your default browser – Computer
In the event that you choose Chrome as your preferred browser, all links you click will open in Chrome by default.
Set Chrome as your default web browser
If you do not already have Google Chrome installed on your computer, you should download and install it immediately. Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8
- To access the Start menu on your computer, select Settings from the menu bar. Start by launching your default applications: The current browser (usually Microsoft Edge) may be found at the bottom of the page under “Web browser.” When prompted to select an app, select Google Chrome from the drop-down menu.
Create a shortcut to Chrome on your taskbar to make it easier to access it later:
- Open Google Chrome on your PC. Right-click on Chrome on the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen. To pin something to the taskbar, click it.
Windows 8 and earlier Macintosh
- Open Google Chrome on your PC. More may be found in the upper right corner. ClickSettings
- Make the default browser the one you want to use by selecting Make default in the “Default browser” section.
- Otherwise, Google Chrome is already set as your default browser if you don’t see the button.
- Create a shortcut to your default search engine. In Chrome, you may toggle sync on or off. Chrome should be downloaded and installed. Change the default mail program on your computer to Gmail.
Was this information useful? What can we do to make it better?
How to change your default browser in Windows
This article discusses how to change your default Web browser on Windows 10 or Windows 11 from Internet Explorer to Firefox. Make Firefox your preferred browser for more information on other operating systems.
- Click and pick in the Menu bar at the top of the screen to begin. Select from the drop-down menu by pressing the menu button. Select from the drop-down menu by pressing the menu button. Click on theMake Default.button to make the default browser option permanent. You will find it in theStartupsection of your panel, towards the top of the page. Firefox will attempt to update your Windows setup in the background by running all of its processes in the background. If Firefox is already your default browser, the Make Default. option will be absent, and it will state that Firefox is presently your default browser. Firefox will now display the message that it is your default browser.
As a result, if Firefox was unsuccessful in changing your default browser, it will launch the Windows Settings program, which will already have the Default applications tab open.
- If it isn’t already open, go to the Windows Settings and choose the Default applications panel. The Settings icon in the Windows Start menu may be accessed by clicking it twice and then clicking again. When you are in the Default appspanel, go to the Web Browser section and select the browser that is presently displayed. To make Firefox the default browser, select it from the Choose an app menu and click on Set as default browser. When you look at the Web browser area, you will notice that Firefox has been selected as the default browser for Windows 10.
Changing the default program for a variety of file types and protocols is required in order to make Firefox your default Web browser on Windows 11.
- Open the Default appspanel in Windows Settings (if it isn’t already open) by clicking on the following link:
- Clickin the Windows taskbar
- Clickfrom the choices to the left
- Locate Firefox in the list that displays and choose it from the list
- Under the heading “Set default file types or link types,” a list of file types will be shown.
- When you click on a file type (for example,.htm), you may alter the default software that opens and change it to Mozilla Firefox. Continue in the same manner for each of the additional file types that you wish to open with Firefox.
Please keep in mind that the most often encountered file formats and protocols opened with the default browser are.htm,.xhtm,.html,.shtml,.webp,.pdf, MAILTO, HTTP, and HTTPS, among others. This essay was written with the assistance of the following wonderful people: Alice Wyman, Philipp, Michele Rodaro, ideato, Ashikur Rahman, Shannon Kularathna, Joni, Mark Schmidt, Marcelo Ghelman, JoshNiesler, YD, Rashid, Angela Lazar, Fabi, and Julie.
Develop your skills and knowledge and make it available to others. Answer questions to help us build a better knowledge base. Read on to find out more
Set your default browser in Windows 10
Almost everyone has a preferred web browser that they use regularly. According to statistics, Google Chrome is the preferred browser for the vast majority of users, with Firefox and Opera having a considerably smaller but dedicated user base. Safari is a popular browser on Mac OS X, and Microsoft is attempting to have a similar influence with its latest version of the Edge web browser. While you may have multiple of these programs installed, one of them will almost certainly be the one you use the most when you wish to surf the web.
While Microsoft continues to strongly promote Edge if you’re using Windows 10, it’s pretty simple to choose your preferred browser as your default instead.
How to change your default browser in Windows 10
When you initially install a new web browser, it will nearly always ask you if you want to make it your default browser fairly shortly after installation. You should take advantage of this chance to transfer your bookmarks, browsing history, and other settings from your old browser to your new one. If you accidentally skipped over it or refused it on purpose, but would like to make it your default, here’s how to accomplish that.
- Navigate to SettingsApps and choose ‘Default applications’ from the left-hand pane of the screen. If you go to the ‘Web browser’ heading, the icon and name of the browser that is now configured as the default will be visible
- Otherwise, you’ll have to scroll down to the ‘Internet Explorer’ heading. When you click it, you’ll be presented with a list of the presently installed applications from which you can pick. Choose the most appropriate one
That’s all there is to it!
Now, any links you click on in other apps will always open in the browser that you’ve selected as your default browser. By selecting ‘Choose default programs by file type’ from the drop-down menu, you may exert even greater control over which file types open where.
How to change your default browser in Windows 7
If you happen to be still running Windows 7 despite the fact that it is no longer supported, the same option is accessible in Control Panel as well. Select ProgramsDefault Programs from the drop-down menu. Scroll down to pick the browser of your choice once you have selected Default Programs. Then select “Make this application the default” from the drop-down menu. As you can see, you have the option of selecting alternative default apps for different tasks. If you are using the Control Panel, you can also select ‘Choose defaults for this application’ from the drop-down menu.
You may select which extensions you wish to open in that particular program from this menu.
By scrolling down in the Default applications area until you find these options in Windows 10, you may accomplish the same task in the Settings app.
Fortunately, this plan did not materialize, and links from any app will continue to open in your preferred browser.
Author: Chris Martin, Reviews Editor
Chris has been evaluating various types of technology for almost ten years, with a particular emphasis on audio. He also covers a wide range of issues, such as home entertainment, phones, computers, tablets, and other electronic devices.
How to replace Edge as the default browser in Windows 10 — and why you shouldn’t
Microsoft The company has been battling to get users to use its Edge browser for several years. Despite the fact that Microsoft made Edge the default browser in Windows 10, people abandoned the platform in droves, the vast majority of whom switched to Google Chrome for good reason. When compared to Chrome and Firefox, the early version of Edge was underpowered, had difficult-to-use features, and offered a limited number of extension options. However, in January 2020, Microsoft released a new version of Edge that is based on the same technology that power Chrome’s search engine.
However, you may still want to use Chrome, Firefox, or one of the many other browsers that are available on the market.
You could have accidentally switched to Edge when you installed a large Windows 10 upgrade, and you may have unintentionally done so.
As I’ll demonstrate, it takes only a few minutes to complete.
The directions in this article are predicated on you having installed the most recent version of Windows 10 — version 20H2, also known as the October 2020 Update — on your computer. Depending on whether or not you have installed it, the displays you view may differ somewhat from what you see here.
Why you might want to stick with Edge
Most Windows 10 Home and Pro users have most certainly already received the latest Edge, which was most likely provided to them automatically through Windows Update. Depending on the implementation plans of their IT departments, enterprise customers may or may not have it at this time. If you’ve been using the old Edge as your default browser, the new one will take over as your default as soon as it becomes available. If you’ve already established another browser as your default, the new Edge will not automatically override your selection – instead, like other browsers, it will prompt you to choose whether or not to make the new Edge your default.
- The browser has a simple look and has functions that are easy to use.
- This is a significant improvement over the previous Edge.
- Edge also appears to be far quicker than Chrome in my tests, and it consumes on average 14 percent less RAM.
- However, you may not be interested in testing out the new Edge browser, or you may try it and find that you prefer Chrome, Firefox, or another browser instead.
- Alternatively, you might like the fact that Chrome’s Omnibox (the area where you write URLs and searches) can do arithmetic functions, convert currencies, and answer queries such as naming the capitals of U.S.
- Using another browser as your default is simple.
How to designate another browser as your default
The first step in making another browser your default browser is to download and install that browser on your computer’s operating system. After you’ve completed this, click the Windows 10Startbutton and then theSettingsicon that appears on the left-hand side of the screen to proceed. (It has the appearance of a little gear.) If you prefer, you may typesettingsintothesearch box and then click on theSettingsresult that comes at the top of the screen. IDGTo change your default browser on Windows 10, open the Settings app and select Internet Explorer.
- The “Default applications” screen displays on your screen.
- To change the default browser, you’ll need to scroll down to the very bottom of your screen, towards the bottom of your screen.
- Microsoft Edge is located at the bottom of the screen, under the “Web browser” section of the menu bar.
- Change the default browser to anything else.
- (As a side note, the pop-up also includes the option to “Look for an app in the Microsoft Store,” but if you select that option, you will not be able to locate Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or any other browser you are likely to be familiar with.
- There are also other lesser-known browsers on the list, such as Super-Fast Browser and BlueSky Browser, that are worth mentioning.
- There is no need to restart; your job has been completed.
A contributing editor for Computerworld and the author of more than 45 books, Preston Gralla’s most recent being Windows 8 Hacks (O’Reilly, 2012) and How the Internet Works (O’Reilly, 2009). (Que, 2006). 2021 IDG Communications, Inc. Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
How to Change Your Default Web Browser
Every computer and mobile device comes pre-installed with a web browser by default. Microsoft Edge is available on Windows 10, whereas Safari is available on Apple devices. On Android, the default browser may be Google Chrome, Samsung Internet, or something else entirely, such as the stock Android browser that was common in early iterations of the device. You are not required to use the default settings, but. By changing it, each link or web-based file you click will open in the browser of your choosing instead of the default browser.
Set by Browser
Before browsing to your device’s settings, open the browser of your choice and make it the default browser on your device. This may be accomplished in Google Chrome by selecting the three-dot menu symbol in the top right and selectingSettingsDefault browser. Make it the default. In Firefox, pick Options from the hamburger menu at the top right of the browser window. Make the default setting in the General section by clicking the Make default button.
In Windows 10, Microsoft has replaced Internet Explorer with Edge, which will be updated to a Chromium-based version in 2020, according to Microsoft. Naturally, Microsoft encourages that you use its browser, but you have the option to use another one. Open the Windows 10 Settings menu and choose AppsDefault Apps from the drop-down box. Scroll down and select Web browser from the drop-down menu. You can choose from Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, or another software that you can get from the Microsoft Store.
Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows 8.1, and it will remain such for the time being. By accessing the Charms bar and selecting the Settings icon, you may change the default setting. The Change PC SettingsSearch and appsDefaults option may be found in the Settings pane. From here, the procedure is identical to that of Windows 10; simply choose the current default Web browser and replace it with the browser of your choice, as seen below.
Microsoftceased offeringsecurity updates to Windows 7 in January 2020, so you should consider upgrading to a more modern and secure OS. Otherwise, Internet Explorer is again the default browser, but the process for changing it is different than in Windows 10 and 8.1. Open Control Panel in icon view and selectDefault Programs Set your default programs. You can then select the browser you want set as the default. Notice that the status indicates the new default browser currently has X of a certain number of defaults.
On a Mac, changing the default browser is a straightforward and quick process.
Then, on your Mac, select System Preferences from the Apple menu in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, and then click the General icon. On the General page, pick your favourite web browser from the drop-down box next to Default web browser by clicking the drop-down box next to it.
iOS and iPadOS
Apple had previously prohibited you from changing the default browser on your iPhone or iPad, but this restriction was lifted with the release of iOS 14 and iPadOS. To change the default browser from Safari to any other browser, go to the Settings menu and choose the browser you want—whether it’s Chrome, Firefox, or Edge—from the drop-down menu. Select the browser you want to use by tapping the option for Default Browser App on the menu bar.
Setting Google Chrome as the default web browser on Android can only be accomplished through the device’s settings menu. Although the exact location of these options will vary depending on the manufacturer, you can normally access them by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping the gear symbol to bring up the Settings menu. Take note of any options that indicate Apps or app notifications in the drop-down menu. Open the list of installed programs and choose the item for the browser of your choice from the list.
To make Firefox your default browser, select Settings from the three-dot menu in the lower-right corner of the app, and then toggle the switch next to Make Firefox your default browser on.
To access Edge’s settings, click on the three-dot menu and select Settings.
Subscribe to the TipsTricks/strong> newsletter for expert advice on how to get the most out of your technology., first published at: 2021-09-30T21:23:24.000000Z, published at: 2021-09-30T21:23:24.000000Z, last published at: 2021-09-30T21:23:13.000000Z, created at:null, updated at: 2021-09-30T21:23:24.000000Z
Like What You’re Reading?
How to Make Chrome or Firefox Your Default Browser in Windows 10
No matter whether you updated to Windows 10 from an older version or purchased a new PC with the operating system already installed, you’ll see that Microsoft Edge is the default browser. When you click on a link in an email, in the Windows search box, or in other programs such as your instant messenger, your default browser is launched, making it extremely vital to choose the appropriate one. The default web browser may be changed to Chrome, Firefox, or any other third-party browser, but doing so is more difficult now than it was in Windows 7 and 8, where you could just click a button in the new browser.
- You can go to it via the Start menu, if you like.
- Select System from the drop-down menu.
- 4.Select Microsoft Edge from the drop-down menu under the “Web browser” title.
5.From the option that appears, select the new browser (for example, Chrome). You’ll see that your new pick has been added to the “Web browser” section of the menu. If you desire to change your default browsers again, simply follow the procedures outlined above.
Windows 10 Basics
- Change these 7 settings immediately
- Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts to Save You Time
- 7 Settings to Change Immediately
- 5 Different Methods for Taking Screenshots
- Windows 10 allows you to change your password. Uninstalling programs on Windows 10 is simple. Tablet Mode can be enabled or disabled. Create a User (either a child or an adult)
- Change the resolution of the screen
- Sync Your Preferences Across All of Your Devices
- Sync your iPhone with Windows 10
- Use your voice to control Windows 10
- And more. To upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, you must first uninstall the previous operating system. With the help of a night light, you can eliminate blue light. Make a new folder for your work
- In Windows 10, go to the Desktop. Add a printer to your system. All of our Windows 10 recommendations
- Set timers for alarms
Do you have problems with Windows 10? Our sister site, Tom’s Hardware, has a team of workers that are available in the forums to answer your inquiries at any time of day or night. Avram Piltch, known as “the official Geeks Geek” in his weekly column, has served as the editorial and production director for Laptopmag.com since its launch in 2007. In addition to his technical expertise, Avram has a strong interest in testing and has designed numerous of LAPTOP’s real-world benchmarks, such as the LAPTOP Battery Test.
How to change your default web browser on Windows 10, where you can install and switch between different browsers
- When using Windows 10, you may change your default browser from Microsoft Edge to another software, such as Google Chrome or Firefox. Whenever you have a different browser installed, you may change it as your default by going to Windows 10 settings and then your new browser’s settings
- More articles may be found on the Business Insider homepage.
When you install a new browser on Windows 10, you’ll often get a “change default browser” popup, which will give you the opportunity to make that browser your default browser. However, if you hadn’t made up your mind about switching your default browser when you installed the new one, it might be tough to figure out what to do when the prompt disappears from your screen. Changing your default browser on Windows 10 is a straightforward process that can be accomplished through your system settings.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
1.Click on the Windows logo on your keyboard or on the Windows icon at the bottom left of your screen to start the program. Search for “Choose a default web browser” and then click on the icon that appears on the results page. 2.In the default applications box that appears, you will see an icon for the browser that is currently set as your default. Click it to bring up a dropdown menu with all of the browsers that are currently installed on the computer you’re now using, from which you may choose the one you prefer.
Firefox and Opera are two more popular browsers to consider.
Using Google Chrome, here’s how to go about it.
How to change your default browser to Google Chromeon Windows 10
1. Launch Google Chrome. Three dots should be aligned vertically in the upper right corner of the screen. Once they appear, press them again to bring up a dropdown menu, and then select “Settings” from the dropdown menu. 2.Select “Default browser” from the left-hand sidebar menu. It should be the second item on the list from the bottom. By clicking on this, you should be sent to the settings box described in the previous section, where you may change your default web browser. It is possible to make Chrome your default browser by modifying the Google Chrome settings.
Related coverage fromHow To Do Everything: Tech:
Ross James is a Business Insider contributor who works as a freelance writer. When you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links, Insider Inc. earns a commission.
How to change your default browser on Windows 10, macOS, Android and iPhone
The following images are courtesy of Google (top), Mozilla (bottom), Microsoft (middle), and Shutterstock (bottom). Knowing how to change your default browser allows you to break free from the shackles that the tech giants have placed on you. In order to utilize Edge on your Windows PC, Microsoft recommends that you use Safari on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Google recommends that you use Chrome on your Android phone and tablet (and your Chromebook, which is inevitable). In addition, Microsoft appears to be particularly adamant about highlighting the Edge browser to you in Windows 11; fortunately, this isn’t quite as true in Windows 10.
Compared to the major guns of the browser industry, alternative browsers frequently offer more innovative features, greater privacy protections, and higher performance, so why settle for second best?
- The finest Android browsers that are currently available for download
- Which browser consumes the most RAM? Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are the top three. How to remove Microsoft Edge—and prevent it from being reinstalled.
As a result, online links in other applications and apps will always open in your favorite tool for accessing the internet. Fortunately, changing your default browser on your computer, phone, or tablet is a simple process. This post will show you how to change the default browser on Windows 10, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS in a few simple steps by following the instructions below. If you change your mind and prefer one of the other browsers (like as Edge, Safari, or Chrome), you may switch back to those browsers in the same way.
How to change default browser in Windows 10
Changing your default Windows browser used to be as simple as selecting a different browser from your current selection and clicking a button in that browser. Windows 10 adds a few of more stages to the procedure, but it’s still quite easy in its execution. Here’s how you go about it. 1. Select the menu option in the top-right corner of the browser you wish to use as a starting point. This button will either have three dots or three lines on it, depending on the browser you are using. When the menu appears, choose Settings from the drop-down list.
- On the Settings screen that appears, select the option labeled “Make default browser,” “Make default,” or “Make my default browser.” b.
- (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Guide.) The “Default applications” section of the Settings app in Windows 10 will now be displayed, with your current web browser highlighted in the list.
- (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Guide.) Click your browser and, when the “Choose an application” menu appears, choose the program that you wish to use as your default browser from the list that appears.
- Any links you click in other apps will now open in your selected web browser instead of the original.
How to change default browser in macOS
The fact that Apple naturally likes you to use its Safari web browser on macOS does not preclude you from making another browser your default browser – in fact, it makes the procedure incredibly simple. Here’s how you go about it. 1. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu located in the upper-left corner of your screen. When the System Preferences window appears, select General from the drop-down menu. (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Guide.) Choose the browser you wish to use as your default on macOS from the drop-down menu that appears when you pick ‘Default browser.’ If you don’t see the name of the program, try downloading and installing it once more.
We told you it would be simple on Mac OS X!
How to change default browser in Android
Chrome comes preloaded on the majority of Android smartphones, but you are not required to use it as your default browser if you choose to use another software for web browsing instead. Here’s how to make your Android phone or tablet’s default browser anything other than Chrome. Start by going to the Settings app on your Android smartphone and selecting “Apps” or “Appsnotifications,” depending on which option is shown. (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Guide.) Then, on the following page, click “Advanced” to bring up a selection of other options, and then “Default applications.” (Photo courtesy of Tom’s Guide.) 3.
The browser you wish to use as your default must already be installed on your device, so choose it from the list below.
While Chrome is running in the background on your device, it will prompt you to choose whether or not to make it your default browser once more – Android isn’t about to give up that simply!
How to change default browser on iPhone or iPad
Apple makes it exceedingly simple to change your default browser in iOS 14, just as it does in macOS. This implies that you are not required to utilize Safari on your iPhone or iPad unless you specifically want to do so. Here’s what you should do. 1.Start by opening the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and swiping through the left-hand menu until you discover the app you want to set up as your default browser. 1. Go to the App Store and search for this app to see its permissions on the right-hand side of your screen.
An asterisk (*) will be shown to the right of its name.
You may return to Safari at any time by following the same steps as before.
- More information:How to gain access to the PS5’s hidden web browser
- Changing the default browser in Windows 11 is a simple process. How to prevent a webpage from loading in Chrome
Tom’s Guide’s How-To Editor is Robert Irvine. He lives in New York City. He began authoring tutorials about software, hardware, websites, and other technology issues back when dial-up modems were still in use, and he has served as the editor of Web User magazine in the past. Robert adores cooking and can whip up a good sausage casserole, but he is in no way comparable to the celebrity chef of the same name who has become a household name.
How to Set Chrome as Default Browser in Windows 10
Microsoft Edge is the default browser on each new computer purchased today, and it comes preloaded on every new computer purchased today. If you have recently installed a large Windows 10 update, you will have the same issue. Despite the fact that Microsoft Edge has lately undergone substantial modifications and is fast shedding the stigma associated with the Internet Explorer era, many people still choose to use Google Chrome as their primary browser. The following steps will show you how to make Chrome your default browser on Windows 10.
How to Set Chrome as Default Browser in Windows 10
As of December 2020, Google Chrome commands over 63 percent of the whole browser market, with Firefox and Microsoft Edge both commanding less than 4 percent of the total. The company’s large market dominance is due to a number of factors. Chrome is a fast, reliable browser that offers a plethora of developer-friendly features. Consider how to make it your default browser in the next section.
- Press the Windows key
- Look for the Default Apps option. Select Google Chrome from the Web Browser drop-down menu after clicking on Microsoft Edge.
That is all there is to it. All of your web sites will now open in Google Chrome as a result of this change. Windows may provide you with an additional choice, pleading with you to try Microsoft Edge again since it has improved. To complete the move to Chrome, choose ” Switch Anyway ” from the dropdown menu.
Why Switch to Chrome?
Chrome includes a large selection of extensions, as well as highly strong development tools that are built in to the browser. It comes with a slew of interesting and, at times, bizarre capabilities, such as the ability to take full-page screenshots and use Google Chrome as a notepad. Chrome’s simplicity of use and usability are also unrivaled in the industry. For the record, the latest Chromium version is a significant step forward for Microsoft Edge, which ought to be recognized. Some performance benchmarks are even outperforming Chrome in some cases.
The user interface, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired for the majority of users. Once you’ve learned how to make Chrome your default browser on Windows 10, the decision is entirely up to you. Is it going to be Edge or Chrome?
How to Set a Default Browser in Windows
The vast majority of individuals have more than one web browser installed on their PC. Microsoft Edge is pre-installed on all Windows computers, but you may want to experiment with alternative browsers at some time, such as Chrome, Firefox, or even Safari if you have an iPhone. It’s possible that you want the quickest surfing speeds possible, or that you want to use the same browser on your PC that you use on your other devices. However you came to this conclusion, after you have installed several browsers, you’ll need to pick which one you want to use as your default browser.
When you ask your computer to do a task that necessitates the use of a browser, it needs to know which browser to use.
And if you change your mind after selecting a default browser, you can easily go back and select another one from the list.
If you already know what you’re looking for, you may just open this link in your preferred browser:
- Chrome, Avast Secure Browser, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge are all good choices.
Also included are step-by-step instructions for using the program with Windows 7 and 8.
How to make Chrome the default browser in Windows 10
A significant margin separates Google Chrome from its competitors as the most popular browser, which accounts for nearly two-thirds of the entire browser market share. Learn how to make Chrome the default browser on your Windows 10 computer.
- Default programs may be found by searching for them in the Start menu. Then choose Default applications. Continue to scroll down until you see your current default web browser, and then choose it from the Default applications selection. In this particular case, Microsoft Edge is the currently selected default browser. If you want Google Chrome to be your default web browser, select it from the list of available web browsers
That’s all there is to it! Having learnt how to make Chrome your default browser in Windows 10, you can now go on to the next step. Become more proficient with Chrome by learning how to use incognito mode in Chrome and how to turn off Chrome alerts.
How to make Avast Secure Browser the default browser in Windows 10
Security and privacy are our top priorities, thus we designed Avast Secure Browser as a free browser to help you protect yourself online. Our secure browser is equipped with all of the security features you’ll need to browse safely and securely. Installing Avast Secure Browser for free now will allow you to remain anonymous while you are online. This article will show you how to make Avast Secure Browser your default browser in Windows 10 once it has been installed.
- Open the Start menu, type default applications into the search box, and then selectDefault apps. To access your current default browser, scroll down and select it. Choose Avast Secure Browser from the list of web browsers that are accessible
Having Avast Secure Browser installed and set as your default browser means you’ll be able to browse the internet anonymously and prevent third parties from tracking your online activities. And you won’t have to bother about disabling adverts in other browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox, because Avast Secure Browser takes care of it for you.
How to make Firefox the default browser in Windows 10
Firefox is a widely used free and open-source browser, which means that anybody may look into the browser’s code and see what’s going on.
As a result, open-source software is typically viewed as trustworthy, as it would be difficult to include virus or conceal anything else bad inside its programming. Here’s how to set Firefox as your default browser on your computer.
- Enter the term default applications in your Windows Start menu, and then click on the default apps link. Scroll down until you find your current default web browser, which should be at the bottom. After that, simply click it. ChooseFirefoxfrom the drop-down menu of web browsers.
You should now be able to use Firefox as your default browser without any problems. In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Firefox incognito mode and how to control your privacy by removing tracking cookies—though Firefox does by default prevent third-party cookies. In order to allow cookies in Firefox and your other browsers, go to Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Enable Cookies.
How to make Microsoft Edge the default browser in Windows 10
Edge is Microsoft’s own web browser, and it is light years ahead of where Internet Explorer left off when it was discontinued. Listed below is the procedure to follow in order to make Microsoft Edge your default browser.
- In the Start menu, type default applications and then click on the default apps link. Using the scroll bar, find and choose your default web browser from the list
- Make a selection from the list of available browsers on your machine to use Microsoft Edge
Once you’ve installed and configured Microsoft Edge as your regular web browser, you may improve your local privacy by learning how to remove your browsing history from your computer. This will prevent anyone else who uses your computer from being able to see what you are doing on the internet in the future. Private browsing is another option in Edge that you may use to avoid generating a browser history and storing cookies. Consider employing abrowser cleaning tool to maintain your preferred browser in peak operating condition as well.
How to set a default browser in Windows 7Windows 8
Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 have the option to change the default browser to a different one of your choosing. Windows 7 users can follow along with us as we lead you through the procedure. Windows 8 users can also follow along. How to alter your browser settings and select a new default browser in Windows 7 is demonstrated here.
- Start by selecting Control Panel from the Windows Start menu. Programs may be found in the Control Panel by clicking on it. Choose View by Category from the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of the window if the Programs category does not appear to be displayed. Default Programs should be selected. Set your default applications from the drop-down menu. Choose your preferred default browser from the list of installed apps on the left-hand side of the screen. Then select Set this application as the default from the drop-down menu. Select Choose defaults for this application from the drop-down menu to select which file types your browser will open by default.
Take back your privacy and security with a free secure browser
Why not choose a browser that was created and constructed with privacy and security in mind now that you understand how to establish a default browser on your Windows computer? An excellent free online browser, Avast Secure Browser is jam-packed with features that allow you complete control over your data. In addition to blocking advertisements and trackers (which also speeds up your surfing), you can also prevent other sorts of tracking, keep hackers away from sensitive information, and avoid visiting potentially harmful sites (malicious websites).
How To Set Google Chrome As Default Browser on Windows 10?
Please make sure that Google Chrome is already installed on your computer before proceeding with the following steps to make Google Chrome the default browser on your Windows 10 computer. You have two options for installing Google Chrome: either through the Work Desk Menu or by downloading it straight from Google.
- On your computer, go to the Start menu, then Settings, then Applications, then Default apps, and then scroll down to the bottom. Select your current web browser (usually Microsoft Edge) from the drop-down menu under “Web browser.” When prompted to select an application, select Google Chrome from the drop-down menu. To confirm the change, select”Switch anyhow.”
Working with the Work Desk Menu in the Google Chrome Web Browser In contrast to certain browsers, the Google Chrome browser will not immediately launch an application when you specify it to do so. As a result, users are compelled to either manually launch the application each time or choose to switch on the automatic opening feature. The next section demonstrates how to accomplish this using the Work Desk Menu. Open the Work Desk Menu item in Google Chrome on its own initiative.
Instead of accessing the Work Desk Menu item, Google Chrome will download it to your computer. If you want the Work Desk Menu item to open automatically when you click on it in Google Chrome, please follow the procedures outlined in the following section.
- Select an item from the Work Desk Menu by clicking on it. To open the downloaded file, click the arrow next to the name of the file. Select “Always open files of this type” from the drop-down menu. Please keep in mind that this step must be completed only once for each type of application that is used. The same type of program will be launched automatically the next time it is launched.
Windows keeps changing the default browser
The beauty of the Windows 11/10 operating system is that you have a plethora of options when it comes to selecting applications. There are a plethora of programs available to handle every operation, protocol, or file type you can imagine. Microsoft wants you to use Edge as your default web browser on Windows 10. You may, however, opt to use a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, if that is your preference. The good news is that you may choose any browser to serve as your default browser.
Listed below are the steps to take if you’re having this problem.
What to do if Windows keeps changing your default browser
In order to troubleshoot this issue, we’ll first check to see that your default browser has been appropriately configured. Following that, we’ll go through several options for permanently changing the default browser. We’ll go over the following answers one by one:
- How to change the default web browser on your computer
- Set the default app based on the protocol and the app
- Make sure all applicable applications are up to date. Make use of this free tool.
Continue reading for the complete procedure:
1] How to set your default web browser
It is my understanding that you have previously chosen a different browser as your default when you state that Windows constantly changing your default browser to the Edge browser. This solution was included to help users who may have made the mistake of setting their default browser in the wrong place. It’s possible that Windows isn’t switching your default browser to Edge because you haven’t selected the right default browser in the first place. Before we go on to more advanced troubleshooting techniques, let’s go through the process of picking a default program on your computer.
Allow this action to take place, and make sure theDon’t ask me againcheckbox is checked.
- By using the Windows key + I combination, you may access the Settings menu. Apps may be found under Settings > Apps. Then, in the left pane, select the Default appsoption and scroll down to theWeb browsersection
- Select the browser you wish to use as your default choice by clicking or tapping on the program that is displayed there
It will be demonstrated in this post how to change the default browser in Windows 11. If you’ve done all of this and the system is still attempting to reset the default browser to Edge, move on to the next step in the process.
2] Set default app by protocol and app
Changing the default browser in a variety of ways helps to reinforce your decision and resolve the problem if Windows always resets your default browser. We’ll use the default browser from the first solution to handle particular protocols and apps, and we’ll use the same browser as the default app for handling specific protocols and applications. Return to the Windows Settings menu by pressing Windows + I and selecting AppsDefault applications. In this section, scroll down the page until you see the links on the right:
- Select default applications based on file type
- Select default apps based on protocol
- App-specific settings can be set.
Choose default browser by protocol
This method does not necessitate the use of the Choose default programs by file type option. As a result, we’ll start with the optionChoose default applications by protocol. To proceed, simply click on the link.
Scroll down the page till you see the wordHTTP. Then select your favourite browser by clicking on the program icon next to theHTTPoption. In the following step, locateHTTPS (it should be directly beneath HTTP) and choose a browser that supports the HTTPS protocol.
Set default browser by the app
To return to the old default applications, click here. scroll down to the bottom of the page and pick theSet defaults by appoption at the bottom of the screen. Click on the browser you wish to use as your default, and then click on theManagebutton that appears when you click on it. On the next screen, look for the following extensions and protocols:.htm,.HTML,.shtml,.svg,.webp,.xht,.xhtml, HTTP, and HTTPS.htm,.HTML,.shtml,.svg,.webp,.xht,.xhtml, HTTP, and HTTPS After that, select your default browser by clicking on the app icon next to each of them.
3] Update the relevant applications
This appears to be a no-brainer, but it’s not that simple. As stated by Microsoft, if the browser and app associations you selected are incompatible with the programs and the computer, your system will revert them to their original settings. This effect may be observed in a variety of other apps as well. For example, older versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader may be unable to open and read newer PDF files. You’ll have to choose the old Adobe Reader and then try to read a new PDF file, otherwise Windows will reset the default program to the new Edge.
4] Use this free tool
Make sure that your programs are compatible with the browser of your choice in order to avoid Windows from resetting your default browser selection. If you are seeing Windows altering your default programs, rather than just the browser, you may resolve the issue by downloading and installing the freewareStop Resetting My Apps. Wishing you the best.
How to Make IE11 the Default Browser in Windows
- If you are using Windows 10, you may search for Default applications in the Windows Start Menu search box and then pick Default apps from the search results. Navigate to theWeb browsersection of the Default appswindow and choose the current browser from the drop-down menu. ChooseInternet Explorer to make it the default browser
- In Windows 8 and 7, Internet Explorer (IE) is the default browser. To reinstall it, open Internet Explorer and navigate toSettings(gear)Default web browser. Make the default setting
If you prefer Internet Explorer 11 to Microsoft Edge, this article will show you how to make it your default web browser on Windows.
How to Set IE as the Default Browser in Windows 10
Despite the fact that Microsoft Edge is the recommended web browser for Windows 10, you can still make Internet Explorer your default web browser by selecting it from the Start menu.
- Enter Default applications in the search field of the Windows Start Menu, and then pick Default apps from the search results
- Go to theWeb browsersection of the Default appswindow and choose the current browser from the drop-down menu
- Select Internet Explorer from the drop-down menu. To configure Internet Explorer 11 to open only specific file kinds, selectChoose default applications by file typeat the bottom of theDefault apps window
- Then click OK to close the configuration box. Internet Explorer 11 is currently configured as your default browser.
How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser for Windows 8 and 7
In both Windows 8 and Windows 7, the Internet Explorer browser is the default browser. However, if you accidentally changed it to something else, here’s how to change it back again:
- Select theSettings option. Click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner of Internet Explorer 11 and selectInternet options from the drop-down menu
- Choose theProgramstab option. Make the default web browser your default browser by selecting Make default in the Default web browser section. To close the dialog box, use the OK button. Internet Explorer has been selected as the default web browser on your machine.
Thank you for informing us about this!
How to Change Your Default Browser on a Windows 10 or Mac Computer : HelloTech How
If you have a Windows 10 computer, the default search engine is Microsoft Edge, whereas Mac laptops utilize Safari as their default search engine by default. Despite the fact that manufacturers encourage utilizing the default engines, you have the option to alter them at your discretion. In other words, you can have many websites open in different browsers at the same time. Here’s how to change your default web browser on a computer running Windows 10 or Mac OS X.
How to Change Your Default Web Browser on Windows 10
To change the default web browser on a Windows 10 PC, navigate to StartSettingsAppsDefault Apps and select the desired browser. Then pick a different web browser from the drop-down list by clicking on your default web browser. If you don’t see a web browser, choose Look for an app in the Microsoft Store from the drop-down menu.
- Start by typing “search” into the Windows search box. In order to do so, first click on the magnifying glass symbol in the bottom-left corner of your screen
- Then type Default Appsinto the search field and clickOpen
- And last, click Close. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and pick your usual web browser. Finally, select a new web browser from the drop-down menu. If you don’t find the web browser you want in the drop-down menu, select Look for an app in the Microsoft Store from the drop-down option.
If you want to know how to change the default search engine on your browser, you may refer to our article here.
How to Change Your Default Browser on a Mac Computer
To change the default web browser on a Mac computer, go to System PreferencesGeneral and choose the appropriate option.
Then, next to Default web browser, click the drop-down box and choose your chosen web browser from the list that appears.
- Simply click on the Apple symbol located in the upper-left corner of your screen. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu. After that, choose General. Once you’ve finished, click on the Default web browser option and pick your chosen web browser.
Please keep in mind that you must first download and install a web browser before it appears on this list. Downloading a new web browser is simple; simply navigate to the Microsoft Store or Apple App Store, which are both located in your Applications folder.