- 1 How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
- 2 Home Users: Disable Cortana via the Registry
- 3 Download Our One-Click Registry Hack
- 4 Pro and Enterprise Users: Disable Cortana via Group Policy
- 5 Disabling Cortana and stopping data gathering in Windows 10
- 6 How to Disable Microsoft’s Cortana
- 7 Why Disable Cortana?
- 8 Limit Cortana Data Collection
- 9 Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
- 10 Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro
- 11 Disable Cortana from Startup
- 12 Conclusion
- 13 How to Completely Disable Cortana on Windows 10
- 14 Disable Cortana on Windows 10
- 15 Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
- 16 Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro
- 17 How to turn off Cortana on a Windows 10 computer, so it doesn’t take up power and can’t hear or respond to your voice
- 18 Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
- 19 How to disable Cortana in Windows 10
- 20 1. Open the Registry Editor
- 21 2. Locate the necessary registry entry
- 22 3. Disable Cortana in the registry
- 23 4. How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro with Group Policy Editor
- 24 Summary
- 25 How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10
- 26 Manage Cortana settings in Windows 10
- 27 How to disable Cortana in Windows 10
- 28 Before you disable Cortana
- 29 How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise
- 30 How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
- 31 How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10
- 32 1. Disable Cortana From Startup
- 33 2. Disable Cortana Through the App
- 34 3. Disable Cortana’s Ability to Record and Store Search Habits and History
- 35 4. Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
- 36 5. Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro
- 37 Learn How to Disable Cortana
- 38 [Solved] 5 Simple Methods To Get Rid Of Cortana In Windows 10
- 39 Should You Disable Cortana?
- 40 How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Microsoft does not want you to turn off Cortana, as you may have guessed. In previous versions of Windows 10, you could turn off Cortana with a simple toggle switch, but Microsoft disabled this feature in the Anniversary Update. It is possible to disable Cortana using a registry hack or group policy adjustment, though. This converts the Cortana box into a “Search Windows” tool that may be used to search for local applications and files. Since the release of Windows 10, Cortana has been increasingly limited in her abilities.
Cortana now automatically runs the Microsoft Edge browser and only utilizes Bing when you search, instead of the previous Microsoft Edge browser.
Home Users: Disable Cortana via the Registry
The Windows Registry will need to be edited if you have Windows 10 Home, and you will need to do so in order to make these changes. The same procedure applies if you are using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise, but you want to work in the Registry rather than the Group Policy Editor since it is more convenient for you. (If you have a Pro or Enterprise license, however, we recommend that you use the Group Policy Editor, which is discussed in the next section.) Standard disclaimer: Incorrect use of the Registry Editor can cause your system to become unstable, if not completely unworkable.
- Having said that, if you’ve never worked with the Registry Editor before, you might want to read up on how to use it before getting started.
- RELATED: How to Create a Backup and Restore of the Windows Registry Additionally, you should create a System Restore point before proceeding.
- That way, if something goes wrong, you can always roll back.
- Navigate to the following key on the left-hand side of the window: HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Windows Search is a search engine for Windows.
- “Windows Search” is the name of the program.
- “AllowCortana” should be the name of the variable.
If you want the change to take effect, you’ll need to sign out and sign back in again, or restart your computer. For future reference, you can simply return to this page and delete or set the “AllowCortana” value to 1 if you want to restore Cortana to its previous state.
Download Our One-Click Registry Hack
For these changes to take effect on Windows 10 Home, you’ll need to modify the Windows Registry. The same procedure applies if you are using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise, but you want to work with the Registry rather than the Group Policy Editor since it is more familiar to you. Although we recommend using the Group Policy Editor if you have Pro or Enterprise, we recommend using the Group Policy Editor, which is outlined in the next section. Precautionary note as follows: A misuse of the Registry Editor might cause your system to become unstable, if not completely inoperative.
- If you’ve never used the Registry Editor before, it’s a good idea to read up on how to use it before you begin working with it.
- RELATED: How to Make a Backup of and Restore Your Windows Registry Creating a System Restore point should be done as well before proceeding.
- To access the Registry Editor, click Windows+R on your keyboard, type “regedit” into the text box, then press Enter to launch it.
- HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Find things on your computer using the search function in Windows.
- Select NewDWORD (32-bit) Value from the context menu of the “Windows Search” key (folder) in the left pane.
- Select it and change the value to “0” by clicking on it twice.
- Before the change takes effect, you’ll need to sign out and back in again, or restart your computer.
Pro and Enterprise Users: Disable Cortana via Group Policy
LINKED: Using Group Policy Editor to Make Modifications to Your PCI If you’re using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise, the most straightforward method of turning off Cortana is to use the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE). Given that it is a rather strong tool, it is well worth your time to become familiar with its capabilities if you have never used it before. Also, if you’re connected to a workplace network, please do everyone a favor and consult with your network administrator first. Moreover, if your company’s computer is part of a domain, the chances are good that it is also part of a domain group policy, which will override the local group policy in any case.
- Although Windows will most likely perform this action automatically after you install the Anniversary Update, it wouldn’t hurt to perform it manually in case something goes wrong.
- To begin, open the group policy editor by clicking Windows + R, type “gpedit.msc” into the box that appears, then pressing the Enter button.
- Windows Components Search is a search engine for Windows components.
- “Disable” the Allow Cortana option in the Settings menu, and then click “OK.” You may now exit out of the group policy editing window.
For this update to take effect, you’ll need to sign out and back in again–or restart your computer–as appropriate. In order to re-enable Cortana, return to this page and double-click the “Enable Cortana” setting, changing it to either “Not Configured” or “Enabled.”
Disabling Cortana and stopping data gathering in Windows 10
Similar: Using Group Policy Editor to Adjust Your PCI Security Configuration In Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise, the most straightforward method of disabling Cortana is to use the Local Group Policy Editor. Given the fact that it is a rather strong tool, it is well worth your time to become familiar with its capabilities if you have never used it before. If you’re connected to a workplace network, please do everyone a favor and check with your network administrator first before making any decisions.
- Creating a System Restore point should be done as well before proceeding.
- To begin, open the group policy editor by clicking Windows + R, type “gpedit.msc” into the box that appears, then pressing the Enter key.
- This is a search engine for Windows Components.
- “Disable” the Allow Cortana option in the Settings menu, and then press “OK.” Close the group policy editor when you are finished.
- You may re-enable Cortana by returning here, selecting “Enable Cortana” from the drop-down menu, then selecting “Not Configured” or “Enabled.”
Follow these steps to turn off Cortana in Windows 10
It is really rather simple to turn off Cortana; in fact, there are two methods for accomplishing this action. The first option is to activate Cortana from the search bar located on the taskbar of your computer. Then, from the left-hand pane, select “Settings” and then “Cortana” (the first option), and slide the pill switch to the “Off” position. The second approach is to enter the Settings app and selectPrivacy from the drop-down menu. From there, selectSpeech, inking, and typing and selectStop getting to know me.
The previously obtained data from Cortana’s Notebook will not be removed from its current state.
Deleting personalization data from the Microsoft servers
Visit the Bing Settings page if you want to remove any leftover Cortana data and personal information from your account (for example, Notebooks, Reminders, and Places), and then log out. Click theClearbutton for both “Clear personal information” and “Other Cortana Data and Personalized Speech, Inking, and Typing” using the account that you are now logged into on your computer. Once you have confirmed the deletion in both instances, you are finished.
Turning off additional data gathering options in Windows 10
If you don’t want Microsoft to collect your personal information, you can go to thePrivacySettings page and turn off the data collection option. Send Microsoft information about my writing style so that they might assist me in improving my typing and writing in the future. In a similar vein, you may disable data collecting for location by visiting thePrivacysettings page and disablingLocationglobally. Please keep in mind that you can also deactivate location services for individual apps.
You may also disable Cortana’s ability to track your position, however at the time of writing, this feature was not available to set. In addition to disabling location globally, Cortana will no longer be able to use the capability.
Things you need to know
While Microsoft provides a variety of options for turning off Cortana in Windows 10, there are a few things you should be aware of regarding this function and the data it collects:
- Cortana can only be turned off on one device at a time. The digital assistant cannot be disabled on one device and expect it to be disabled in all of the Windows devices you possess
- This is not possible. It is also important to note that the name you choose for Cortana to call you is set per device rather than globally. Using Cortana, you may delete data and personal information that Microsoft has collected about you
- But, there isn’t an option to stop Microsoft from collecting information about you internationally in your Microsoft account. For those who do not wish for Microsoft to save their personal information in the cloud, they should switch off Cortana on all of their devices and then delete all of their personal data from their Microsoft account. If you disable Cortana on one device, all of your information saved online is cleared
- But, if you have another device that uses Cortana, all of your information will be uploaded and stored in your account once more. Turning off Cortana will make Windows 10 less efficient in its attempts to produce better suggestions for you
- Nevertheless, this is not a bad thing. To answer your question, the search bar on the taskbar will continue to function properly. It will not go away just because you have turned off Cortana. You will, however, be restricted to simple searches (both locally and on the internet)
- Turning on Cortana is as simple as opening the search box in the taskbar, heading to the Settings section of the left panel, and sliding the pill switch to the On position on the right. Also, you may do it in the Settings appPrivacySpeech, inking, typing, and clicking the Get to know mebutton
Wrapping things up
As you can see, Cortana’s settings, as well as the way Microsoft collects information, are quite disorganized. Current configurations necessitate visiting many distinct sites in order to disable Cortana and other features that trigger data collecting. Users must navigate to a web page in order to erase stored information from their Microsoft accounts, and the Bing Personalization page only provides choices for clearing users’ personal information from their accounts. It does not give a way to totally disable the collection of personal information.
- Moreover, you will be able to view Cortana’s Notebook, Reminders, and Places only from the device itself, as Microsoft does not give access to such information over the web.
- To be sure, this is only the beginning, and the task ahead is far from complete.
- It would be preferable, in my opinion, if everything a software provider has to offer could be found in a single area in order to streamline the user experience.
- However, upon launch, the digital assistant will only be available in a few countries, namely the United States, the United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain, among others.
- Microsoft has already stated that the digital assistant will not be limited to Windows 10, and that it would be developing a standalone app for Android phones, iPhones, and iPads in the near future to complement Windows 10.
- Will you be disabling Cortana on Windows 10 when it becomes available?
- Let us know what you think in the comments section below!
How to Disable Microsoft’s Cortana
With the incorporation of a digital personal assistant, known as Cortana, into Windows 10, Microsoft has once again demonstrated that it lacks the ability to be innovative or creative. This new built-in functionality is both unhelpful and frustrating at the same time. Indeed, it appears that Microsoft does not even use its own products. On top of that, it is another another intrusion into my personal space. For those of us who just wish to search for a file on our computer and nowhere else, the guidelines below will guide you through the process.
This will guide you through the process of turning off and disabling Microsoft’s Cortana on your Windows 10 machine, as well as disabling the Bing search results from the Start menu.
Why Disable Cortana?
What is humiliating is how much information Cortana gathers about me while failing to locate the majority of the items I ask her to look for. Furthermore, this virtual assistant is essentially ineffective and consumes system resources on top of it all. Disabling Cortana will assist us in regaining some privacy by prohibiting it from transmitting information about our personal computer activities back to Microsoft (for quality assurance purposes of course). Usually remember that it is always suggested to build a system restore point before making any changes to the registry.
Limit Cortana Data Collection
Visit the Cortanasettings panel if you want to restrict the amount of information Cortana can collect about you. The ” Settings ” gear icon may be accessed by clicking on ” Start,” then on the ” Settings ” gear icon again. Select the ” Cortana ” panel and toggle off each and every option. Follow the instructions to the point where you may “Change the information Cortana has about me in the cloud.” The ” Personal Information ” page may be accessed from the same Start panel as before. Then, after it has finished loading, simply scroll down to the bottom and click ” Clear “.
To turn it off, hit the ” Start ” button and then the ” Settings ” gear symbol on your keyboard.
Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
To totally turn off Cortana on Windows 10 Home (or Windows 10 Pro), click on the ” Start ” button at the bottom left of your screen and type ” regedit ” into the search box. Then press ” Enter” on your keyboard. Copy and paste the following address into the address bar at the top of your browser: HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Right-click on the ” Windows ” directory and choose ” NewKey ” from the context menu (folder).
Type ” Windows Search ” into the search box.
Insert the command ” AllowCortana “, ensuring sure the ” Value Data ” field is set to the Hexadecimal base of ” 0 ” (zero).
In addition, you should double-check that Cortana has been deactivated from your startup procedure.
As opposed to the previous ” Ask me anything ” option, the new search box will just state ” Search Windows “, which appears to be a much better option given that it does not search the internet when all you want is to search your local environment.
Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro
To totally turn off Cortana on Windows 10, select the ” Start ” button and then search for and open ” Edit group policy ” from the search results. After that, navigate to ” Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsSearch ” and locate and open ” Allow Cortana ” in the list of available options. Select ” Disabled ” from the drop-down menu, then click ” OK “. You should be able to get rid of Cortana by restarting your computer. As opposed to the previous ” Ask me anything ” option, the new search box will just state ” Search Windows “, which appears to be a much better option given that it is not searching the internet for a locally stored document.
Disable Cortana from Startup
Cortana may be prevented from launching with Windows by right-clicking on an empty area within the taskbar at the bottom of your screen and selecting” Task Manager” from the context menu that displays. In any other case, click on the ” Start ” button at the bottom left of your screen and type ” Task Manager ” into the search box that appears. Then hit ” Enter ” on your keyboard to launch the task manager. TheTask Managerwindow will now display on the screen. Select the ” Startup ” tab (as seen in the image below) and then right-click on ” Cortana ” to activate it.
- This will prevent the Cortana service from starting up when your computer is first booted up.
- The following registry update is necessary in Windows 10 version 1803 Spring Update due to the removal of the ability to deactivate the web results option from the Start menu in this version of Windows 10.
- Set the Value data to the value ” 0 “.
- Right-click and choose ” NewDWORD (32-bit) Value “, then type ” AllowSearchToUseLocation ” into the text box.
- Confirm that the ” CortanaConsent ” DWORD key exists and that the value data for the key is ” 0 ” by doing a second check.
- It is possible that a reboot will be necessary to finish the procedure.
I hope this guide has been of use in disabling the hapless ” Personal Assistant ” of Windows 10, Cortana. I would appreciate hearing your opinions, questions, and recommendations about this topic. It is possible for you to support my work and future developments by giving me a tip through your Bravebrowser or by making a one-time gift using your credit card through this website. I’d appreciate it if you could let me know if you spotted any inaccuracies in my essay or if I could be of more assistance to you by addressing any further questions you may have.
How to Completely Disable Cortana on Windows 10
The digital assistant Cortana, which is incorporated into Windows 10, never really took off. The great part about it is that you can either disable it or entirely delete it. Here’s how to do it. Cortana, Microsoft’s effort at a digital assistant that was incorporated into Windows 10, was a colossal failure. In reality, the firm has eliminated it from the search experience in current versions of Windows, according to the corporation (19H1 build 18317). By removing Cortana and replacing it with Windows Search, we have discussed how to keep its activities under control.
Here’s how to get rid of it altogether if you don’t use it and would prefer it not to be there in the first place using a Registry hack on Windows 10 Home or Local Group Policy on Windows 10 Pro.
Disable Cortana on Windows 10
The fact that you don’t have to go through the more complicated process of totally uninstalling it should be noted. You can turn off Cortana, but it will remain active and may even be functioning in the background despite this. It can also gather some search and other use statistics, among other things. Consider taking a look at that first, because it is a less intrusive method of approaching the problem. OpenStartSettingsPrivacy. Then, on the left-hand side of the screen, choose Microphone and disable Cortana’s access to it.
Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
Because the Windows 10 Home edition does not have the Group Policy Editor, you’ll have to utilize the Registry to completely disable Cortana’s functionality. Important:The next procedures need the hacking of the Registry, which is not recommended for the faint of heart. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced player, make sure to follow these procedures to the letter. Additionally, build a registry backup, a Restore Point backup, or a full system backup – or all three for redundancy – before proceeding.
- Let’s get this out of the way and get started.
- To open the Run dialog box, press Windows Key + R and type: regedit, then press Enter or click OK.
- Create a new key by selecting NewKey from the context menu of the Windows folder and naming it Windows Search.
- Then give the DWORD Value the name:AllowCortana, set its Value data to0, and click OK to save the changes.
- Close the Registry Editor window and restart your computer.
The functionality of Cortana will be removed when the operating system is restored, so you won’t have to worry about it any longer. If you attempt to start it, you will see the following warning, which states that it is disabled and that you must obtain authorization from your system administrator.
Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro
Because the Group Policy Editor is included in the Pro version of Windows 10, you can avoid fiddling with the Registry altogether. To launch it, press the Windows Key + R keyboard shortcut to bring up the Run dialog box. Type:gpedit.mscand Alternatively, press Enter or click OK. Now navigate to Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsSearch and enter your search terms. and then double-click on the Allow Cortana button. To disable the radio, select the Disabledradio button from the screen that appears and then click OK.
- When you return to your computer after the restart, you’ll notice that Cortana is no longer visible on the screen.
- This method does not completely uninstall or remove Cortana from Windows 10, but it does temporarily disable it for the time being.
- Please keep in mind that you must be running Windows 10 May 2020 Updateor higher in order for this to work.
- Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 |
- Whether you want to disable Cortana or completely uninstall it, you now have the ability to do both.
How to turn off Cortana on a Windows 10 computer, so it doesn’t take up power and can’t hear or respond to your voice
- If you want to turn off Cortana in Windows 10 through the Settings menu, you may do so by removing its capacity to respond to your voice commands. It is embedded into Windows 10 and is known as Cortana, Microsoft’s personal digital assistant. Cortana is awakened with the wake word “HeyCortana,” and replies accordingly. If you’re concerned about your privacy, you can also prevent Cortana from accessing your personal information by disabling her access permissions. More articles may be found on the Business Insider homepage.
Cortana is the digital assistant included into Windows 10. It is comparable to Siri on the iPhone and Mac, as well as Alexa on the Amazon Echo. Cortana is named after the artificial intelligence featured in the computer game series “Halo,” and it may be accessed via voice command by saying, “Hey Cortana.” Once you have done so, it may assist you in a variety of ways, including helping you plan trips, providing you with weather information, and discovering files on your computer. For those who dislike Cortana or are concerned about potential privacy problems, this capability may be disabled in the Windows 10 settings.
Check out the products mentioned in thisarticle:
1.Click the Start button, then the Settings icon, which looks like a little gear, to open the Settings menu. The controls for Cortana may be found in the Settings menu. Dave Johnson/Business Insider is the source of this information. Type “Cortana” into the Settings search box and then choose “Change how you talk to Cortana” from the search results. Using the menu option “Change how you communicate to Cortana,” you may prevent the virtual assistant from responding to your questions or requests.
- Then, under the Hey Cortana section, toggle the switch to the “Off” position to turn off the feature that allows Cortana to react to “Hey Cortana.” Photo: On the Talk to Cortana tab in the Settings menu, turn off Cortana.
- The option to allow Cortana to listen for commands when pressing the Windows logo key + C can be found in the Keyboard shortcuts section of the Settings menu.
- If you wish, you may go one step further and remove Cortana’s rights from your device entirely.
- Click “Manage the information Cortana may access from this device” in the Permissions section of the window that appears.
Remove all of the rights settings from this permissions page. You have the ability to restrict Cortana’s access to your personal information. Dave Johnson/Business Insider is the source of this information.
Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
(Image courtesy of Shutterstock) Cortana, the virtual assistant in Windows 10, has never quite lived up to its illustrious name. Even when not used on a computer, Cortana has being steadily phased out, with mobile access and the Invoke smart speaker being sent to the technological graveyard. Cortana, on the other hand, is still included with Windows 10, so those who find it useful will still have a place to utilize it. Cortana, on the other hand, is just another piece of bloat that the rest of the world doesn’t need.
The process of entirely turning off Cortana is not straightforward; nevertheless, where there is will, there is generally a solution.
- Here’s an example of a screenshot taken on Windows 10
- Have you made the decision to switch yet? How to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 is demonstrated here.
For those who just want the Cortana button to be removed from the Windows 10 taskbar, a simple solution is available. Cortana will not be disabled, but it will be hidden from plain sight as a result of this. Right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select ‘Show Cortana button’ from the context menu. If the Cortana button was previously visible, it will now be unnoticeably absent. If you ever want to get it back, just follow the steps above once more. (Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.)
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10
Unfortunately, Cortana cannot be deleted from your Windows 10 computer without a lot of effort. Microsoft has blocked this ability since it is a built-in feature. The good news is that you are not completely out of luck. When it comes to turning off Cortana, there are a handful of options available, but the first is the most universal, working on both Windows 10 Home and Pro. It should be remembered before proceeding that this entails making modifications to the register, and that extreme caution should be exercised at all times.
1. Open the Registry Editor
On order to disable Cortana in Windows 10, the first thing you need to do is open the Registry Editor in your computer. This may be found in the ‘Windows Administrative Tools’ folder under the ‘Start Menu’ tab of your computer. Alternatively, you may utilize the search bar in Windows 10 and just type in ‘Registry Editor’. You must choose ‘Yes’ when asked if you want this app to be given permission to make modifications to your device. (Photo courtesy of TechRadar.)
2. Locate the necessary registry entry
For the first section, you’ll need to be in the sidebar that has a bunch of folders open on it. After locating the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE folder, open the ‘SOFTWARE’ folder to see the contents. From here, you’ll want to look for ‘Policies,’ then ‘Microsoft,’ and finally ‘Windows.’ You may already have a folder titled ‘Windows Search’ within the ‘Windows’ folder (also known as a Key).
If so, you may delete it. If you don’t already have one, you’ll have to create one. Right-click on the ‘Windows’ folder and select ‘New’ followed by ‘Key’ from the drop-down menu. ‘Windows Search’ should be the name of the program. (Photo courtesy of TechRadar.)
3. Disable Cortana in the registry
The next step is to really disable Cortana on Windows 10. This is the final step. For the second time, you must first create a new item in the Windows registry. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value by right-clicking on the ‘Windows Search’ folder you established in the previous step and naming it ‘AllowCortana’. Right-click on the ‘Windows Search’ folder you created in the previous step and selecting ‘New’. As soon as you double-click on this new item, make sure the value is set to ‘0’. Click on the ‘OK’ button to exit the Registry Editor.
Cortana will be turned off after the computer has been restarted.
It will still appear in the list of programs in the Start Menu, but it will be fully disabled when you attempt to access it, as you will see when you attempt to open it.
4. How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro with Group Policy Editor
Even if you’re running Windows 10 Pro, the procedure described above should work, however there is a second option that is not available in Windows 10 Home. Cortana may be turned off in Windows 10 Pro by using the Group Policy Editor, which eliminates the need to make any modifications to the system registry. To access the Group Policy Editor, use ‘Win + R’ to bring up the Run box, and then type ‘gpedit.msc’ into the box. Once you’ve found your way to the relevant folder, browse to it by first selecting “Computer Configuration,” then “Administrative Templates,” then “Windows Components,” and lastly “Search.” Finding the item titled “Allow Cortana” in the right-hand pane and double-clicking it will bring up the Cortana assistant.
As was the case with the registry approach, you’ll need to reboot your computer in order for the modifications to take effect.
Microsoft a result, although smart assistants such as Siri, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa have become indispensable in millions of people’s everyday lives, it’s regrettable that Cortana was never able to realize her full potential. There are a variety of reasons why someone may want to turn off Cortana on their Windows 10 computer, and thankfully, even though Microsoft does not want you to do so, there is a workaround available.
- Best laptop for 2021: we’ve selected the top 15 laptops available for purchase this year.
How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10
With each significant upgrade to Windows 10, Microsoft has made Cortana, its digital personal assistant, a more vital part of the operating system. Aside from searching your computer, it can also show notifications, send emails, create reminders, and do a variety of other tasks all with the use of your voice. Some people, on the other hand, may find it excessively obtrusive and would like to turn the assistant off. Previously, you could turn off Cortana with a simple toggle in the days before the Anniversary Update, but this is no longer feasible after the update.
If you’re still determined to turn off Cortana’s capabilities in Windows 10, there are a few options available to you.
Remove all of the many ways Cortana tracks your computer habitsFirst, let’s go into Cortana’s settings and disable all of the different ways it tracks your computer habits. Here’s how it’s done:
- Alternatively, you may click on the search box or the Cortana symbol located next to the Start key. By clicking on the gear icon, you can access Cortana’s settings panel. Turn off every toggle on the settings panel, starting with the On to Off position. Scroll up to the very top of the settings panel and selectChange what Cortana knows about me in the cloud from the drop-down menu. A page calledPersonal Informationwill be fetched from the Internet by Microsoft and shown in the same Start panel
- When it loads, scroll down to the very bottom and press the Clear button.
Cortana collects information about your typing and speaking habits in order to provide you with a better service. Please follow these procedures if you wish to disable this feature:
- To begin, press the Start button
- Then click the Settings gear icon. SelectPrivacy
- Look forSpeech, inkingtyping in the left-hand panel, and then clickStop getting to know me.
Keep in mind that turning this off will also turn off dictation throughout the whole Windows 10 operating system. If you rely on that service, you’ll have to put up with Windows ‘getting to know you’ while it learns more about you. Turn Cortana off fully if you don’t want to use it. Once you’ve completed the procedures outlined above, Cortana will no longer react to your voice. However, it is still functioning in the background, ready to be activated as needed. You will need to take additional steps in order to entirely eliminate it.
How to turn off Cortana on Windows 10 Professional
- Press the Start button, type in Edit group policy, then click on it to open it. Go to Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsSearch and type in the desired search term. Locate and double-click on Allow Cortana to bring it up. ClickDisabled, then press the OK button.
To open Edit group policy, press the Start key and search for it; Obtain the path Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsSearch from your browser. Locate and double-click on Allow Cortana to bring it up; 2. Press OK after selectingDisabled.
- Press the Start button, type in regedit, then click on it to open it. Enter the following key:HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows
- And Create a new key by selecting NewKey from the context menu of the Windows directory. Enter the words “Windows Search” and click the enter key
- Select Windows Search from the drop-down menu. Right-click in the empty space in the right-hand side pane and select NewDWORD (32-bit) Value from the context menu. Enter the phrase AllowCortana into the search box
- AllowCortana by double-clicking it and entering 0 in the Value Data field
You should be able to turn off Cortana by restarting your computer. As opposed to the previous “Ask me anything” option, the new search box will merely state “Search Windows.” Did you have any difficulties following any of the processes outlined above? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below. More lessons may be found in our How-to section.
Manage Cortana settings in Windows 10
The Cortana virtual assistant is included with Windows 10 in the regions where Cortana is accessible. You may hide Cortana from the taskbar if you don’t want the digital assistant to be visible to you at all. You may also modify your privacy preferences by following the procedures outlined below. Using the Cortana icon on the taskbar and unchecking the Show Cortana button will allow you to hide Cortana in Windows 10 May 2020 Update and subsequent versions. If you want to utilize Cortana in the May 2020 Update or subsequent versions, you must first sign in to your Microsoft account.
- More information may be found in the Microsoft Privacy Statement.
- Then click on theClearbutton beneath theChat history section.
- In addition, the search box will be removed from your taskbar as a result of this.
- You can check and limit exactly what personal information Cortana has access to in the November 2019 Update and older versions by heading to the search box and selectingSettingson the left pane.
Take note that Cortana has been deleted from the Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Pro Education versions of the operating system. For additional information, see Windows 10 editions for school customers. Learn more about Cortana and how it protects your privacy.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10
It is Cortana, the digital voice assistant included into Windows 10, that is intended to make your life simpler by responding to basic voice requests. Cortana, like Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa, and Google’s self-named voice assistant, may be fussy at times, as can other voice assistants. The following steps will show you how to turn off Cortana if you are not interested in the voice assistant functions, do not want it to pop up when you click on the search bar, or are concerned about your personal data.
Before you disable Cortana
When Windows 10 was originally introduced, it was straightforward to turn off Cortana, but doing so resulted in the loss of Windows Search functionality. Turning it off now will not have the same effect as turning it off in the past, but it will have an influence. As a result, it’s not nearly as simple as it once was. Cortana’s integration within Windows 10 as well as the way we may turn it off have been improved with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update release. Not all of the preceding approaches are effective, but the actions outlined in this tutorial are.
However, the usual file search function will continue to function properly.
If you don’t like what occurs after you disable Cortana on Windows 10, simply repeat the procedure and the changes you made will be undone.
It is always preferable to be safe than sorry.
- Using the Windows search box, type’system restore’ and then select ‘Create a restore point.’ To create anything new, select Create at the bottom of the popup box that displays
- Give it a name and click on the Create button.
The procedure will just take a few minutes and will produce a snapshot that we can utilize in the unlikely case that something goes wrong when deactivating Cortana throughout the process.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise
The most efficient method of disabling Cortana in Windows 10 is through the use of Group Policies. GPEdit allows us to switch off Cortana with the least amount of disruption, and it can be completed in a few minutes. However, the Local Group Policy Editor is only accessible in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions, which is a drawback. You may add it to Windows 10 Home by using the Add/Remove Programs feature, but the registry editor is a more convenient option (more on that below). For more information on the differences between Windows 10 Home and Professional, please see our tutorial on the differences between Windows 10 Home and Professional.
- In the Windows search box, type the words “group policy.” If you prefer, you may use the Windows key + R and type “gpedit.msc”
- Either method will work. Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Search in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. In the right pane, click Allow Cortana to enable it. Allow Cortana to run in the background by selecting Edit from the context menu.
- Disabled should be selected from the radio button on the left. After you click Apply, the window will shut. You should now see Disabled rather than Enabled on the Allow Cortana line, rather than the previous Enabled.
Simply said, that’s all there is to it. As a result of utilizing Group Policy Editor, you have successfully deactivated Cortana on Windows 10. If you wish to reactivate Cortana, simply repeat the process above and choose Enable at the fifth step.
How to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
Because the Group Policy Editor is not accessible in Windows 10 Home unless you install it yourself, we must make the necessary changes through the registry in order to do this. However, it is just as simple in this instance.
- In the Windows search box, type the word “regedit.” If you prefer, you may press the Windows key + R and type’regedit’
- Either method will work. Navigate to HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPolicies in the Registry Editor. the search box for MicrosoftWindowsWindows in the left pane of regedit
- Right-click an empty area in the right pane of regedit and choose New and DWORD (32-bit) Value from the context menu. It should be given the name “AllowCortana,” as well as the value “0.”
And that’s the end of it! Cortana will no longer bother you—at least, not until a major Windows update neatly re-enables the feature.
How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10
This is the end of your work! Cortana will no longer bother you—at least, not until a major Windows update neatly re-enables the feature for all users.
1. Disable Cortana From Startup
You may turn off Cortana by going to Start > Task Manager. This is how you may go about it:
- Search for Task Manager in the Startmenu search bar and choose the most appropriate result
- Open the Startuptab and disable Cortana by right-clicking on it and selecting Disable. Restart your computer
- Check Task Manager once again to ensure that the modifications were successful.
2. Disable Cortana Through the App
This is a secure method of disabling Cortana, and you can quickly undo any changes you make at any point in time.
Turn Off Cortana’s Keyboard Shortcut
- SelectSettings from the three-dot menu in the left-top corner of Cortana once it has been launched. To turn off the toggle, choose Keyboard shortcut from the drop-down menu. Restart your computer
SelectSettings from the three-dot menu in the left-top corner of Cortana after it has been opened. To turn off the toggle, choose Keyboard shortcut and press Enter. Your computer should be restarted;
Turn Off Voice Activation
If you want to preserve Cortana’s microphone access but don’t want it to be accidentally activated, you may do the following:
- Cortana’sSettingsmenu may be accessed from here. Permissions for voice activation can be obtained by clickingVoice Activation. Scroll down to choose which applications may be activated by voice command. Turn off the Cortana toggles on your device.
Turn Off Cortana’s Microphone Access
- Open Cortana’sSettingsmenu and choose Microphone from the drop-down menu. Permissions to use a microphone
- Select which Microsoft Store applications can access your microphone by scrolling down. Remove the toggle for Cortana from the list.
3. Disable Cortana’s Ability to Record and Store Search Habits and History
If you are concerned about the information that Cortana manages, you may disable the settings that allow it to record and retain information about you on your device. In order to adjust Cortana’s default settings, follow these steps:
- Find Permissions and History by searching for them in theFind a settingsearch box. For Cortana’s search history to be cleared, navigate to theHistorysection and toggle off the toggle before clickingClear device search history. Within theFind a settingsearch area, look for theSpeech Privacy Settings option. Disable online voice recognition by clicking on the toggle button below.
Following the modification of these settings, Cortana will no longer be able to gather and report information, nor will she be able to engage with you in any manner. If you want to restore the settings to their original state, perform the procedures outlined above and switch on the toggles.
4. Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home
If you are using Windows 10 Home, you will need to make changes to the Windows Registry in order to turn off Cortana. Just bear in mind that you must exercise caution while altering the Windows Registry since this program has the potential to cause your system to cease functioning correctly. Note:Before making any changes to the Windows Registry, you should build a restore point for your system. To make changes to the Windows Registry, follow these steps:
- To open aRunwindow, press the Windows key + R together
- Typeregedit, then pressEnter
- Open theHKEY CURRENT USERmenu, then navigate toSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindows Search
- Then click OK. OpenAllowCortana
- SetBasetoHexadecimal and setValuedatato0, if appropriate. Restart your computer
If there isn’t a Windows Searchfolder accessible, perform the following:
- Right-click Windows and choose NewKey
- Give the key the name Windows Search. Right-click the Windows SearchfolderNewDWORD (32-bit) Value and give it the name AllowCortana
- Then click OK. To enable Cortana, setBasetoHexadecimal, and setValue datato0 are all required. Restart your computer
5. Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro
On order to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro, you must first navigate to the Local Group Policy Editor. Even if you are using a device that belongs to your employer, you should verify with the administrator first, as the device may be part of an organization’s domain. The domain policy, on the other hand, will take precedence over the local group policy. To disable Cortana through the use of the Local Group Policy Editor, do the following steps:
- To launch a Runwindow, press the Windows key + R at the same time. Enter the command gpedit.msc and press Enter
- Select Administrative Templates from the Computer ConfigurationAdministrative Templates drop-down menu on the left. Components of the Windows operating system Search
- OpenAllow Cortana
- BelowAllow Cortana, selectDisabled
- Then closeAllow Cortana. Restart your computer, or sign out and back in again
If you wish to re-enable Cortana, go through the first four steps again, but this time choose Enabled at step 5.
Learn How to Disable Cortana
It has been impossible to turn off Cortana with a single toggle switch since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The next article will teach you how to disable Cortana fully or to disable certain of its features while maintaining the rest of the program’s functionality. Learn all you need to know about Cortana on Windows 10. The digital assistant (also known as a digital assistant) Microsoft Cortana is a built-in feature of Microsoft Windows 10. Accomplish you want to know what Cortana can do or how to turn Cortana off on your computer?
Read on to learn more about the author.
Being an engineer with a Bachelor’s degree, he takes pleasure in putting his technical expertise to use in the creation of educational and useful material. Matthew Wallaker has more to say.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive tech tips, reviews, free ebooks, and special offers! To become a subscriber, please visit this page.
[Solved] 5 Simple Methods To Get Rid Of Cortana In Windows 10
Cortana is Microsoft’s reaction to the growing demand for personal digital assistants (PDA). After Google Now and Apple Siri, Cortana was the logical next step in the evolution of digital helpfulness. Cortana, like many computer features that tailor themselves to your requirements, collects a great deal of information about your work habits and preferences. Its Windows search functions are quite dependable, making it a popular choice among PC users. The service, which works similarly to a verbally activated search engine, can provide you with information about any topic that is available on the internet.
I can also assist with simplifying local search, keeping track of files, and a variety of other tasks.
As a result, many users choose to turn it off in order to prevent Microsoft from gathering information on them.
Though stopping the Cortana process is very straightforward, unlike its Google and Apple counterparts, stopping it from running in the background can be a little more difficult.
Should You Disable Cortana?
Cortana, like other services, makes life easier for a large number of users. If the fact that Cortana gathers so much information on you is the most troubling aspect of your experience with it, keep in mind that this is true of most web-based services. Every website you visit adds cookies and malware to your computer’s hard drive. Even free e-mail providers, such as Yahoo!, need you to consent to enable them to scan every e-mail you send and receive in order to gather information about your activities and preferences.
- Microsoft has a few choices for limiting the amount of information Cortana collects about you, and they may be your best bet if you want a bit more privacy.
- Another issue that consumers have with Cortana is the fact that it continues to operate in the background and uses processor resources.
- However, this does not prevent it from consuming any background processes.
- The Cortana process is not actually responsible for file indexing.
- It is performed automatically.
- As a consequence, by right-clicking “SearchUI.exe” in the task manager and selecting Open File Location, you will be able to determine where SearchUI.exe is placed.
- This is due to the fact that information is loaded into memory in order for it to display promptly when you click on the search box or search function in Microsoft Windows.
- Cortana is integrated with the Windows search function (and other features).
Cortana will not provide you with the same degree of search capability that you would have if you had it activated. The more harsh the tactics you employ to get rid of Cortana, the more you will discover that the functioning of Windows 10 is restricted.
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Prior to the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, it was extremely simple to turn off the Cortana task. With each each update, Microsoft makes it more difficult to completely disable the feature in question. Each of the ways listed below will operate in a different way to deactivate the digital assistant to varying degrees.
Hide Cortana Using the Taskbar
If you just want Cortana to remain hidden, you may accomplish this in a matter of seconds. Step1Right-click on the taskbar to bring up the context menu. Select “Cortana” from the drop-down option that appears. Make certain that the “Hidden” option is chosen.
Disable Cortana Using Settings
This is the only way that Windows 10 currently supports. You may use it to set a limit on the amount of information Cortana stores. Step1Go to the Start menu and select the “Settings” icon. Step2: In the Settings box, select “Privacy” as the first option. In the third step, right-click on the phrase “Speech, inking, typing.” When the pop-up window displays, select “Stop getting to know me” and “Turn off” to turn off the feature. To return to the Settings window, click “Home” in the upper left-hand corner of the screen once you have completed Step 4.
- 5 Select “Talk to Cortana” from the drop-down menu and make sure all of the settings are set to “off.” Step6Click on “PermissionsHistory” and make sure that “Cloud Search” and “History” are both turned off (if necessary).
- Make sure the settings are turned off by selecting “Cortana across my devices” in Step 7.
- You will be able to remove the information that Cortana has already acquired about you after you sign in.
- In particular, this is true following big upgrades to Windows 10.
- This is just another incentive to get into your online Microsoft account on a regular basis and delete any data that has been kept there.
Using the Group Policy Editor to Stop Cortana
This will only work if you have either Windows Pro or Windows Enterprise installed on your computer. Cortana is already permanently deactivated in the vast majority of Windows Education editions. Users of Windows Home will not have access to the Group Policy Editor, and if they attempt to utilize this approach, they will see a warning similar to the one shown below. Step1: On the keyboard, press thekey and thekey at the same time to start the process. The Run box is launched as a result of this.
“Computer Configuration,” “Administrative Templates,” and finally “Windows Components” are the options available from the list on the left.
“Allow Cortana” should be selected twice.
Then click on “Apply” and “OK” to complete the process.
If you want to switch off Cortana, go to the Start menu and select “Restart” from the Power menu. Although you may disable Cortana using the Group Policy Editor, if this feature is not available on your version of Windows, go to the following approach.
Edit the Registry to Disable Cortana
Users who use the Home edition of Windows and wish to entirely disable Cortana beyond what Microsoft provides will have no choice but to edit the registry to do this. Editing the registry, on the other hand, is not something that novice users should do. Before you proceed, make sure you have created a system restorepoint first. Even if you carefully follow the directions, you may get undesirable side effects from the medication. If you make a mistake while following these procedures, your system may become unstable, and you may be forced to reinstall Windows.
- Hit the Enter key after typing “regedit” without quotation marks.
- Second, go to “HKEY LOCAL MACHINE” and then “SOFTWARE” in the list on the left side of the screen.
- Search for “Windows Search” when you access the “Windows” folder in your computer’s file system.
- You will need to create this folder if you do not already have one.
- You should be able to name the new key in the list if it is not already named.
To choose the newly formed key, right-click on it and choose “select from list.” To create a DWORD (32-bit Value) when you right-click “Windows Search,” you must select “New” and then “DWORD (32-bit Value).” Step5: Give it the name “AllowCortana” (no space between the words and no quotation marks).
Cortana’s search bar will be replaced with a conventional search option after you have completed this action.
Renaming Cortana’s Search Folder
The fact that Microsoft has so thoroughly interwoven Cortana with its search feature on Windows 10 means that even after making the registry modification, you will still see “Cortana” listed in the Task Manager and operating in the background even after making the change. This is the SearchUi.exe file that was previously mentioned. It is possible to confirm this by right-clicking on the Cortana service that is now operating and selecting “Go to Details.” To get rid of this option so that it is no longer always running and you are not concerned about the fact that it will also disrupt the Windows Start menu search function, you may use the following approach, which will be described further below.
Open the File Explorer by entering “File Explorer” into the Start menu search box and clicking on “File Explorer.” Alternatively, you might click on the “Documents” icon.
Step2Find and open the “Windows” file that was previously mentioned.
Step3Look for the folder titled “Microsoft.Windows.Cortana cw5n1h2txyewy” in your computer’s hard drive.
When you attempt to rename it, you will receive an error notice that reads “Folder Access Denied”.
If you see a notification asking if you want to enable an app to make modifications to your device, select yes.
Open the task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting “Task management,” without closing this window.
If you are unable to complete the task in time, please try again.
Because it shouldn’t be operating, it should be simpler to revert to the previous name setting. Users of Windows who continue to experience issues with Cortana can file a support ticket. It’s possible that future Windows updates may include a simple way for consumers to turn it off.