- 1 Turn Microsoft Defender Firewall on or off
- 2 How to turn off Microsoft Defender in Windows 10 or Windows 11
- 3 Why turn off Microsoft Defender?
- 4 How to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 or Windows 11
- 5 How to turn off Windows Defender permanently
- 6 All about turning off Windows Defender
- 7 Steps
- 8 About This Article
- 9 Is this article up to date?
- 10 Why turn off Windows Defender?
- 11 Turn off Windows Defender through settings:
- 12 How to disable Windows Defender through the registry:
- 13 How to turn off Windows Defender through Group Policy:
- 14 Verdict:
- 15 How to turn off Windows Defender
- 16 How to turn off Windows Defender
- 17 Windows Defender – Turning Off & On
- 18 Turn Off Windows Defender on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7
- 19 How To Turn Off Windows Defender in Windows 10
- 20 How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- 21 Turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently
- 22 Windows Defender unable to stop service
- 23 Check status Windows Defender in Windows Security
- 24 Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 temporarily
- 25 How to turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently
- 26 Verify that Windows Defender is kept turned off after Windows 10 restart
- 27 Revert the changes
- 28 Conclusion
- 29 How To Uninstall, Disable, and Remove Windows Defender
- 30 Run Malwarebytes Alongside Your Antivirus for Maximum Protection
- 31 How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- 32 Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 or 8
- 33 Stopping the Windows Defender Service or Uninstalling Defender
- 34 Make Sure You’re Still Using Antivirus (and Anti-Malware)
- 35 Turning Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 – Nicepage Documentation
- 36 Defender Control v2.0
- 37 How To Really Turn Off Windows Defender In Windows 11 Permanently
- 38 Turn Off Windows Defender Temporarily
- 39 Disable Windows Defender in Windows 11 Permanently
- 40 Using RegEdit to disable Windows Defender in Windows 11
- 41 Revert the change
- 42 Wrapping Up
Turn Microsoft Defender Firewall on or off
- Start by selectingStart, followed by openSettings. Select Windows SecurityFirewallnetwork protection from the Privacy and Security section. Open the Windows Security settings
- Choose a network profile from the following options: domain network, private network, or public network. Turn on the Microsoft Defender Firewall by selecting it from the drop-down menu. You may be prevented from completing these steps if your device is connected to a network due to network policy settings on your network. For further information, please contact your system administrator. In order to turn it off, change the setting to Off. It is possible that turning off Microsoft Defender Firewall will make your device (and, if you have one, your network) more vulnerable to unwanted access. Rather of shutting off the firewall, you can give access to a restricted application by allowing it to pass through it
- This is an alternative to turning off the firewall.
- Select the StartbuttonSettingsUpdateSecurity option from the drop-down menu. Then there’s Windows Security, followed by Firewall network protection. Open the Windows Security settings
- Select a network profile from the drop-down menu: A domain network, a private network, or a public network are all possible. Turn on the Microsoft Defender Firewall by selecting it from the drop-down menu. You may be prevented from completing these steps if your device is connected to a network due to network policy settings on your network. For further information, please contact your system administrator. In order to turn it off, change the setting to Off. It is possible that turning off Microsoft Defender Firewall will make your device (and, if you have one, your network) more vulnerable to unwanted access. Rather of shutting off the firewall, you can give access to a restricted application by allowing it to pass through it
- This is an alternative to turning off the firewall.
How to turn off Microsoft Defender in Windows 10 or Windows 11
Apparently, you’d want to disable Microsoft Defender on your computer. We’ve got you covered, so don’t be concerned. Disabling the Microsoft Defender on your computer may be accomplished in two ways: temporarily or permanently. We’ve discussed both of these approaches in this article. Let’s get this party started.
Why turn off Microsoft Defender?
Windows Defender, currently known as Microsoft Defender, is an antivirus tool that comes pre-installed on your computer and is meant to defend it against malware threats. However, despite the fact that the security program is excellent, the software does have certain limitations of its own. Disabling Microsoft Defender appears to be a viable alternative for many individuals in view of the forgoing. First and foremost, however, it is critical that we determine whether or not it is safe for you to switch off the Defender immediately.
- Maintaining Windows Defender switched on will not be beneficial if you plan to install any third-party antivirus software such as Kaspersky or Avast in the future, according to Microsoft. Frequently, the antivirus software will show you a pop-up message, requesting that you switch off Defender, failing which you will not be able to use any of the new program’s typical features. Microsoft Defender is well-known for blocking applications that it deems to be harmful
- Turning off the Defender can be beneficial in certain situations. Alternatively, if you really must run a program that Defender has concerns with and you are confident that it is secure, you may wish to turn Defender off. If you already have a professional antivirus program installed, it makes no sense to have Microsoft Defender installed because it will just create extra problems and consume unneeded resources on your computer.
Here are some of the reasons why deactivating Defender is an advantageous proposal, as discussed above. Prior to disabling the app, however, it’s important to note that you must first install an alternative antivirus program on your computer. A failure to do so can only result in a tragedy, leaving your computer susceptible to outside dangers. Fortunately, with such a widely used operating system as Windows, there is no scarcity of antivirus solutions, including Kaspersky, AVG, Norton, and others.
How to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 or Windows 11
Although you have the option of turning off the Defender completely, you may like to experiment with it for a short period of time to see how it works. Following the procedures outlined below will allow you to accomplish this with ease in Windows 11:
- To get started, go to the Start menusearch bar, put in ‘windows security,’ and then choose the Best match option from the list. Select Virusthreat protection from the drop-down menu. From there, select Manage settings from the Virusthreat protection settings drop-down menu. Toggle the Real-time protection switch to the off position. If you respond affirmatively to the prompt, Microsoft Defender will be switched off for you.
This will disable the Windows Defender software on your computer for a certain length of time.
How to turn off Windows Defender permanently
However, if you are looking for a one-time solution, the method described above may not be sufficient. You will need to use the Registry Editor to accomplish this. TheRegistry Editor, another free tool from Microsoft, is a hierarchical database that stores a record of all of your low-level operating system configurations. The information and settings for software, user preferences, and even the configuration of your operating systems are all recorded by this program. It is interesting to note that it can also be used to permanently disable the Windows Defender by modifying the registry settings associated with the Defender.
After you’ve disabled it, open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows key + R to bring up theRundialog box, typing in’regedit.msc’, and pressing the Enter button.
Activate the ‘DisableAntiSpyware’ file by double-clicking it and setting theValue data to 1.
From there, rename the new entry to ‘DisableAntiSpyware’ to indicate that it is no longer active.
This will cause your Windows Defender to be disabled. All that is required to complete the modifications is a quick restart of the computer. If you want to reactivate the protection, simply delete the’DisableAntiSpyware’ registry key or reset the Value data to zero.
All about turning off Windows Defender
And those are the best techniques for turning off Windows Defender on your computer that you can use right now. To clarify what we’ve mentioned above, the Windows Defender is a great program that assists you in protecting your computer from unwanted malware. However, it can occasionally restrict your ability to access certain resources. In some situations, deactivating the Defender may be the most appropriate course of action for you.
Article in PDF format Article in PDF format Using this wikiHow, you can learn how to disable Microsoft Defender (previously known as Windows Defender) in Windows 10. While Microsoft Defender may be deactivated until you restart your computer from inside the Settings menu, you will be unable to prevent Microsoft Defender from automatically turning itself back on without the assistance of third-party applications. Always keep in mind that removing Microsoft Defender can expose your machine to additional security risks.
- 1 Press the Start button. In the bottom-left corner of the screen, hover your mouse over the Windows logo. The Start menu will appear
- 2 choose Settings from the Start menu. To access the Settings menu, locate the gear-shaped Settings icon in the lower-left corner of the Start menu. The Settings window is displayed as a result of this action. Advertisement
- s3 ClickUpdateSecurity. It’s located in the bottom row of the Settings menu
- 4ClickWindows Security is the name of the option. In the upper-left corner of the window, you’ll see this tab. 5ClickVirusthreat protection is activated. You may find it as the first choice underneath the “Protection zones” heading towards the top of the page, on the left side of the screen. This action opens the Windows Defender window
- 6Click Virusthreat protection options to configure the program. On the page, you’ll locate this choice in the middle of the screen. 7 Real-time scanning in Microsoft Defender should be turned off. When asked, choose the blue “On” switch located beneath the “Real-time protection” header and then clickYes. When you do this, the real-time scanning capability of Windows Defender will be turned off.
- You may also turn off Microsoft Defender’s cloud-based protection by selecting the blue “On” switch located underneath the “Cloud-delivered protection” header and then selecting Yes when prompted
- Microsoft Defender will automatically turn itself back on the next time your machine is restarted.
Create a new question
- Question How can I get rid of Microsoft Defender, even if I didn’t order it? Unfortunately, Microsoft Defender is pre-installed on Windows 10 and cannot be removed
- Question What if you don’t have administrative privileges and want to turn it off? No, in order to disable Windows Defender, you must be logged in as an administrator. Security measures are in place to prevent malware from turning Windows Defender off by accident. The use of third-party operating systems or startup disks that have access to the system settings of this system or user account, as well as disabling services with the help of third-party apps, can be used to turn it off if you know what you’re doing and are confident in the safety of a third-party app. Question It has a habit of being turned back on again and again. Why? This is due to the fact that Microsoft Defender automatically switches itself back on whenever Windows is restarted. Question Although Microsoft Defender is meant to disable its periodic checks when another Anti-Virus product is installed, this does not appear to be the case. What can I do to help? You should check to see if your anti-virus product is properly registered in the Windows Security Center. Make an attempt to contact the anti-virus vendor for assistance.
Inquire about something There are 200 characters remaining. Include your email address so that you may be notified when this question has been resolved. SubmitAdvertisement
- Microsoft Defender will not be disabled by installing a third-party antivirus program (for example, McAfee), but it will be rendered inactive by default. This is done in the event that your security software is disabled for whatever reason, so that you will not be left without protection.
- Disabling Aside from Norton and McAfee, Microsoft Defender may also block any other antivirus apps on your computer. It is possible that disabling Microsoft Defender would expose your machine to security dangers. You should not attempt this unless you are well-versed in the subject matter
About This Article
Summary of the ArticleX 1. Go to the Start menu and select Run. 2. Select Settings from the drop-down menu. 3. Select UpdateSecurity from the drop-down menu. 4. Select Windows Security from the drop-down menu. 5. Select Virusthreat protection from the drop-down menu. 6. Select Virusthreat protection options from the drop-down menu. 7. Turn off the “Real-time protection” option. More information on how to disable Microsoft Defender may be found further down this page. Did you find this overview to be helpful?
Is this article up to date?
Windows Defender (now known as Microsoft Defender Antivirus) is an anti-malware program that runs in the background and protects your computer from external threats at all times. The antivirus software is being developed by Microsoft to safeguard machines using the Windows 10 operating system against malware threats. This antivirus program is preloaded on any edition of Windows 10 that you purchase. Not only does Windows Defender defend your computer against viruses, but it also protects it against ransomware, rootkits, Trojans, spyware, and a wide range of other dangerous assaults.
Why turn off Windows Defender?
You’ve posed a good question! So, why would anybody feel the need to disable or switch off Microsoft Windows Defender since it is a free antivirus program that protects your PC from malware attacks? There are, however, some specific situations in which you may wish to turn off Windows Defender completely. You may wish to install a certain piece of software or application on your computer, but Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows 10 may continually disrupting your efforts to do so. As an illustration, consider third-party software.
- In certain cases, this can be beneficial since you don’t know whether the program is real or whether it contains some type of virus that could compromise your security.
- Depending on your situation, you may wish to temporarily disable Windows Defender.
- There are a plethora of third-party antivirus products available on the market that may be used in place of Microsoft Windows Defender.
- You have the option to disable it and then enable it again at any moment.
- It’s possible that you don’t have enough RAM, or that you’d want the CPU to concentrate on a specific job rather than wasting resources scanning your computer.
- Whatever your motivation for using Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows 10, it is still a useful tool to have available.
- If you want to use another antivirus program in place of Windows Defender, then deactivating it is a reasonable option.
- Always keep in mind that if you turn off Windows Defender, your computer’s security will be put at danger of being infected by malware.
Let’s have a look at how to switch off Microsoft Windows Defender. Windows Defender may still be turned off in Windows 10 via the settings menu, the registry, or through group policy settings. Let’s take a look at each of them in detail, step by step, to see how to switch off Windows Defender.
Turn off Windows Defender through settings:
This is one of the quickest and most straightforward methods of disabling Windows Defender. All of the procedures will be carried out through the use of settings. Simply follow the instructions outlined below: Click the Windows logo at the bottom left of your screen to launch the Start menu. 2. Locate and choose Open Settings from the Start menu by clicking on the gear-shaped symbol on the left panel of the Start menu. Disable the Windows Defender Start Menu from appearing. Go to the Settings menu.
- The Windows Settings window will appear.
- It will be the very last resort.
- Windows Defender should be turned off.
- Windows Defender’s virus and threat detection may be turned off.
- Continue by selecting Manage settings from the Virusthreat protection settings drop-down menu.
To enable real-time protection, choose it from the drop-down menu and press the blue ON button.
Select Yes from the drop-down menu.
Real-time protection for Windows Defender is turned off.
The simplicity and speed that come with turning off real-time protection through viral threat protection settings are two of the advantages of doing so.
You should be aware that when you restart your computer, Windows Defender will be on by default, which you should keep in mind.
You may also make any system modifications that you wish.
How to disable Windows Defender through the registry:
To turn off Windows Defender, you’ll need to go through the following steps: Using the Registry, you may permanently disable Windows Defender by following these steps: 1: Go to the Start menu by clicking on the Windows logo in the lower left-hand corner of your screen. 2. In the search field, type “Regedit,” and then click on the Registry Editor with the blue symbol to continue. When Windows asks you if you want to proceed, select yes.
To access the Registry Editor, type “regedit” into the search box. 3. The registry editor will now be shown. You’ll find a variety of alternatives on the left-hand side. You must determine the location of the Microsoft Defenders by expanding the following sentence:
- For starters, double-click on the “HKEY LOCAL MACHINE” folder to enlarge it
- Then, right-click on it again to close it. Afterwards, expand the “SOFTWARE” directory. Locate and expand the “Policies” folder by scrolling down the page. Increase the size of the “Microsoft” folder
- After that, double-click on the “Windows Defender” folder
The Windows Defender folder is located in the C:ProgramDataWindows Defender. 4. Right-click on the “Microsoft Defender” folder and move your cursor over the word “New.” A new menu will appear on the screen. Continue by selecting “DWORD (32-bit) Value” from the drop-down menu. DWORD is an abbreviation for the word “dword” (32-bit) Value A new file will appear on the right side of the screen, and you will be given the choice to name it. Enter the name “DisableAntiSpyware” in the text box and press Enter.
- After that, double-click on the “DisableAntiSpyware” file that was just produced.
- After restarting the computer, the Microsoft Windows Defender will be successfully deactivated.
- Open the registry editor and make the necessary changes. Locate the “Windows Defender” application. “DisableAntiSpyware” should be selected twice. Make a 0 in the “Value Data” field, and then click on Ok. Make sure to restart your computer in order for the modifications to take effect.
This solution is a little complicated and time-consuming, but it will permanently disable Windows Defender. When you restart your computer, the Defender will not be enabled again. It is possible to use this strategy in Windows 10 without worrying about Windows Defender interfering with your installation of apps or changes to your system settings. Security on your computer will be compromised, therefore make sure you re-enable the Defender so that your security remains active when this happens.
How to turn off Windows Defender through Group Policy:
This is the last set of instructions for disabling Windows Defender that we will provide. In order to switch off Windows Defender permanently, follow these steps: 1. Hold down the “Win + R” key, which is the combination of the Window key and the “R” key. 2. A dialogue box will display on the screen. Enter the command “gpedit.msc” into the search box. After that, the local group policy editor window will appear in front of you. 4. policy editor for the local organization 4. Double-click on “Administrative Templates” in the “Computer Configuration” section of the window.
- Next, select “Windows Components” from the drop-down menu to enlarge it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate and click on “Windows Defender Antivirus.” Virus Protection Group Folder in Windows Defender Antivirus 7.
- Windows Defender Antivirus should be turned off.
- A new Window will appear.
- Windows Defender Antivirus “Enabled” should be turned off.
- Finally, restart your computer to ensure that the modifications are effective.
- If necessary, repeat steps 1 through 7.
This is the third and last method of permanently disabling Windows Defender. Defender antivirus will not automatically enable itself when you restart your computer as a result of this configuration. Defender’s antivirus has been permanently fixed as a result of this update.
It is OK to temporarily disable the Defender antivirus in order to install software or make minor adjustments to its settings. That is not a problem, but deactivating the Defender antivirus for an extended period of time may jeopardize your security. It is possible for malicious applications to assault your system at any point in time. As a result, it’s a good idea to at the very least have a third-party antivirus program installed, or to temporarily disable it.
How to turn off Windows Defender
(Photo courtesy of monticello/Shutterstock.com) You might be wondering why you need to know how to switch off Windows Defender in the first place. Now officially renamed as Microsoft Defender Antivirus, while it is still more often known by its previous moniker, it is one of the finest antivirus applications available and is included as part of the Windows 10 operating system. Anybody who wants dependable malware protection without having to go through the effort of downloading extra software will find it to be a big benefit.
- The most effective Windows 10 antivirus
- Instructions on how to uninstall the Windows 10 news and weather widget How to delete Microsoft Edge from your computer
- In Windows 10, here’s how to turn off automatic updates.
However, while there is no question that Windows/Microsoft Defender is a great antivirus application, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to disable it. Perhaps the most significant reason for doing so is because you want to install a new antivirus application on your computer – whether for the sake of adding additional features, providing more in-depth security choices, or simply preferring a different brand. In such scenario, all you have to do is install the other antivirus product, and Defender will automatically turn itself off for you.
This might happen from time to time, but make certain that the application you’re installing is authentic and not just a ruse to deceive you into installing malware on your computer.
Although it’s important to remember that you should avoid conducting any online browsing without having some sort of antivirus protection set on.
How to turn off Windows Defender
In the lower left corner of your taskbar, choose the Start button. (Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide) 2. To the left of the newly created pane, click the Settings symbol, which looks like a gear and is positioned on the right side. (Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide) 3.Choose the “UpdateSecurity” menu item. (Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide) Click “Windows Security” on the left-hand side of the new window that has opened.
(Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide) 6.Scroll down to the “Virusprotection settings” section and click on the “Manage settings” option.
(Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide) 7. Turn off “Real-time protection,” which will disable Defender until you restart your computer. (Photo courtesy of Microsoft/Screenshot courtesy of Tom’s Guide)
- More:How to install Windows 11 – a step-by-step guide to getting started
- How to make your desktop icons disappear in Windows
In addition to his journalism background, Billy Givens has over two decades of expertise in editing and writing on a wide range of issues. Tom’s Guide and other websites, such as From Gamers Magazine, Retroware, Game Rant, and TechRaptor, are among the places where he concentrates mostly on game journalism. Besides writing for self-improvement websites such as Lifehack, he’s also created in-depth studies on a variety of topics including health, psychology, and the entertainment industry.
Windows Defender – Turning Off & On
- Service and Support
- Windows Defender – Turning OffOn
When using the Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating systems, having problems profiling a monitor might be caused by the Windows Defender security function being enabled. By turning off this function, you may be able to complete the profile creation process. When using some X-Rite products, it may be essential to switch off Windows Defender in order for the software to function correctly on Windows Vista and Windows 7 computers. Customers have reported that Windows Defender has prevented a custom monitor profile from loading automatically when the computer is first booted up.
On Windows Vista, the following is true: To turn off Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Control Panel and then double-click on “Windows Defender” to bring up the program
- Select “Tools” and then “Options” from the menu bar. After you have reached the bottom of the page of choices, uncheck the “Use Windows Defender” check box located in the “Administrator options” section. In the Windows Defender information window that appears, click on “Save” and then “Close.” Windows Defender should be turned off by restarting the machine.
To enable Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Double-click on “Windows Defender” in the Control Panel when you have navigated there
- The user is alerted that Defender has been switched off in the information box that appears as a result of this action. Please visit the following link: Windows Defender should be turned on and opened. Closing all windows and restarting the computer are recommended. There should be no issues with Windows Defender working regularly
Windows 7 users may disable Windows Defender by following these steps:
- To access Windows Defender, go to Control Panel and then click on “Windows Defender” to bring it up. Select “Tools” and then “Options” from the menu bar. Select “Administrator” from the left-hand navigation pane. Remove your selection from the “Use this software” check box. In the Windows Defender information window that appears, click on “Save” and then “Close.” It is necessary to restart the computer in order to turn off Windows Defender.
To enable Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Double-click on “Windows Defender” in the Control Panel when you have navigated there
- The user is alerted that Defender has been switched off in the information box that appears as a result of this action. To turn it on, click on the link that says: click here to turn it on. Closing all windows and restarting the computer are recommended. There should be no issues with Windows Defender working regularly
Turn Off Windows Defender on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7
- Select the Settings gearUpdateSecurity option from the Windows 10 Startmenu. SelectWindows Security from the left-hand navigation pane. Select OpenWindows Security from the drop-down menu. Virus and malware protection Configure your settings. Turn the Real-time protectionswitch to the off position. Turn off the switches adjacent to Cloud-delivered protection and Automated sample submission if applicable.
This article covers how to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 and how to enable it again. It also has instructions on how to switch off Windows Defender in Windows 8, as well as Windows 7.
How To Turn Off Windows Defender in Windows 10
Microsoft’s Windows operating system includes a security tool called Windows Defender that protects your computer from malicious software. Windows Defender should be turned off before to installing a third-party antivirus product in order to avoid conflict with the new program. It is also possible that you may need to temporarily disable Windows Defender for debugging purposes. To turn off Windows Defender on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows Start Menu and then click on the Settingsgear icon. In the Windows Settings interface, click on the UpdateSecurity button. Click on Windows Security in the left-hand menu pane, and then click on “Open Windows Security.” Virusthreat protection can be selected. SelectManage options from the Virusthreat protection settings drop-down menu. Activate or deactivate theReal-time protectiontoggle by switching it to theOffposition. The software will ask you if you want to enable it to make modifications to your device, and if you choose yes, a pop-up window will emerge. Windows Defender will be momentarily disabled until you restart your computer
- However, if you install a third-party application such as Avast or Norton, Windows Defender will be temporarily disabled until you switch it back on. Make sure that both the Cloud-delivered protection and the Automatic sample submissiontoggles are in the Offposition.
How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows 8
When it comes to deactivating Windows Defender in Windows 8 and Windows 7, the procedures are slightly different:
- In the bottom-left corner of the screen, click on the WindowsStartMenu button. When the Windows menu appears, type the following text into the search field provided: When the Windows menu appears, type the following text into the search field provided: microsoft windows defender
- SelectWindows Defender, which should now appear in the search results under the Control Panel title, as shown in the screenshot below. Tools may be found towards the top of the Windows Defender screen
- Click on it. Options may be found on the Tools and Settings screen. Administrator may be found on the left-hand menu pane. Remove the check mark from the box next to Use this software to disable Windows Defender, which should take effect immediately. Repeat these procedures to reactivate it at any point in the future.
Some third-party antivirus products will automatically stop Windows Defender’s active protection, so don’t be shocked if you discover that some capabilities have already been disabled by default. Thank you for informing us about this!
Turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently
Is it possible to permanently disable Windows Defender on Microsoft Windows 10? For testing purposes, you may wish to turn off Windows Defender from time to time. The Windows Defender security application will be immediately deactivated if you have an antivirus application active. This is due to the fact that your Antivirus software will now be in charge of your protection. Using the instructions in this article, you will be able to switch off Windows Defender both temporarily and permanently on Windows 10.
Windows Defender unable to stop service
StartTask Manager in Windows 10 is a task management program. Locate the Windows Defender service that is currently active. Look for the task nameAntimalware Service Executableas well as the service Windows Defender Antivirus Service in the task list of your computer. Stop the Windows Defender Antivirus Service by selecting it from the context menu. An error message will appear stating that the operation was unable to be completed.
Access has been blocked. It is unable to bring the service to a halt. Start the applicationServices and choose Windows Defender Antivirus Service from the context menu. As you can see, the following alternatives have been marked as “greyed out”:
Check status Windows Defender in Windows Security
Start by selecting Start from the Windows Start menu. Windows Security is what you’re looking for. Select Virusthreat protection from the drop-down menu. Windows Defender has been turned on. If you were to install another security solution, you would be presented with the screen shown below.
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 temporarily
In Windows Security, choose Virusthreat protection from the drop-down menu. To manage your settings, select Manage Settings from the drop-down menu. To turn off Windows Defender Antivirus, locate the toggle button under Real-time protection and click it. As a result of doing so, you can observe that:
- The service is still functioning in the background
- Nothing has changed. Windows Defender will be activated automatically after a reboot.
How do you totally stop the Windows Defender service and ensure that it remains off even after a reboot? You’ll find out in the following step.
How to turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently
Click on the Windows Start button and type formsconfig into the search box. System Configuration should be run as an administrator. You may alternatively launch the application by using the RUN key. Click on the OK button after typing msconfig. Boot may be found under the tabBoot. Safe boot should be enabled in the Boot settings section. To proceed, click on OK. Restart the program by pressing the Restart button.
Step 2. Turn off Real-time protection
As demonstrated in the preceding step, make certain that Real-time protection is turned off.
Step 3. Autoruns for Windows
DownloadAutoruns for the Windows operating system. Extract the zip file and launch the program Autoruns64.exe to begin the installation process. Autoruns.exe should be launched if you are operating Windows 10 32-bit.
Step 4. Enable Windows Services in Autoruns
Navigate to the Services tab. There will be a limited number of services displayed. This is due to the fact that Windows services are not shown by default. Options may be found in the menu bar. Hiding Windows Entries should be unchecked. The Windows services will be displayed in a list format as a result of this.
Step 5. Uncheck Windows Defender Antivirus Service
Look for the word WinDefend and uncheck the checkbox next to it. Disabling automatic launch of Windows Defender after every reboot will prevent the program from starting automatically.
Step 6. Boot into normal startup
Start the applicationmsconfig configuration program. Normal starting should be selected. To proceed, click on OK. Restart the program by pressing the Restart button.
Verify that Windows Defender is kept turned off after Windows 10 restart
Start Task Manager once the computer has been restarted. There is no longer a functioning instance of the Windows Defender service. Start the Windows Security program. in addition to taking a look at Virusthreat protection A pinning icon or the status “unknown” will be shown if the problem is detected. This is due to the fact that it is retrieving information. Allow a few of minutes for it to complete. After that, you will notice that the Virusthreat protection has been turned off.
Revert the changes
Consider the possibility that you may wish to revert the adjustments. To begin, restart your computer in safe mode. Next, in Windows Security, select the Restart Nowbutton to restart the computer. Alternatively, you might start Autoruns and look for the WinDefend service. Continue reading to find out more: Using PowerShell, you may disable the Windows Firewall.
On this post, you will discover how to permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10. Make certain to follow the instructions exactly as outlined in the article. After you’ve done this, Windows Defender will be switched off permanently. Did you find this article to be interesting? Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection is another option you might want to consider (SEP). Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and to share this story.
ALI TAJRAN is an IT Architect, IT Consultant, and Microsoft Certified Trainer who is enthusiastic about his work. He began working in information technology at an early age, and his ambition is to share his knowledge and encourage others. »
How To Uninstall, Disable, and Remove Windows Defender
If you’re already running a comprehensive anti-malware suite, it’s possible that you’re not even aware that Windows Defender is already installed with Windows, and that it’s squandering valuable resources in the background. It can be eliminated in the following ways. For the avoidance of doubt, we’re not suggesting that we despise Microsoft’s Windows Defender. Some spyware protection is preferable to none at all, and it’s built in and completely free! If you are currently running something that provides excellent anti-malware protection, there is no reason to have more than one program operating at the same time in order to protect yourself against malware.
- Using Windows 10, navigate to SettingsUpdateSecurityWindows Defender and uncheck the “Real-time protection” checkbox. When using Windows 7 or 8, launch Windows Defender and navigate to the OptionsAdministrator tab, where you may disable the “Use this program” option.
Windows Defender is an antivirus program that comes pre-installed on Windows 7, 8, and 10. It is a pretty good antivirus program. Defender may not be the finest antivirus program in terms of the sheer amount of threats it detects and blocks, but it potentially has a security edge over other antivirus applications because it is so well integrated with Windows and because it is well-behaved when it comes to other vital apps. Having stated that, the choice of what to utilize is yours. In my experience, the vast majority of other antivirus programs are rather effective about turning Defender off when you install them and turning it back on when you delete them.
Running more than one real-time protection application at the same time might result in conflicts and resource waste on the system.
Run Malwarebytes Alongside Your Antivirus for Maximum Protection
Before you go ahead and disable Windows Defender for good, it’s worth pointing out that these days the really active threats are from spyware, adware, crapware, and the worst of all: ransomware. That’s where Malwarebytes comes in. Malwarebytesnot only protects your computer from malware, but does a better job of cleaning up an infected computer than anything else on the market. And to defend your browser against zero-day exploits, Malwarebytes also contains Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware technologies, which may stop drive-by assaults cold.
How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
With the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, In the summer of 2016, Windows Defender will be able to work in conjunction with another antivirus program. Installing another application does not disable Windows Defender in its entirety; just the real-time protection component is removed. Therefore, real-time security is handled by a third-party program, but you can still do a manual scan with Defender whenever you wish. RELATED: In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to use the built-in Windows Defender antivirus on Windows 10.
- In the main “Windows Defender” window, select “Settings” from the drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the window.
- Please keep in mind that you may also access this page via SettingsUpdateSecurityWindows Defender.
- There is one additional thing you should be aware of when it comes to the real-time security provided by Windows 10.
- Using a third-party antivirus application prevents this from happening.
- You may easily exclude your whole system drive from being scanned by selecting the appropriate checkbox.
- Select your C: drive from the “Exclude a Folder” drop-down menu that appears.
Please keep in mind that this is something that we do not strongly advise. To put it another way, excluding certain disks is equivalent to turning off antivirus protection. However, it is available should you require it.
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 or 8
When you wish to use another antivirus application on Windows 7 or 8, you must entirely disable Windows Defender. Real-time protection cannot be turned off in the same manner that it can be in Windows 10. Defender should be immediately off when you install a third-party program, and it should be automatically re-enabled if you subsequently delete the third-party app. But it’s never a bad idea to double-check. By pressing the Start button, type “defender,” and then clicking “Windows Defender,” you may access Windows Defender.
Navigate to the “Administrator” tab in the left-hand pane, and then adjust the check box labeled “Use this application” to suit your requirements.
After that, Windows Defender validates that you have switched it off.
Stopping the Windows Defender Service or Uninstalling Defender
Various methods exist for disabling the Windows Defender service from running automatically when your computer boots up, as well as a time-consuming procedure for entirely removing Windows Defender from your computer. They are not recommended by us. The reason behind this is as follows. First and foremost, if you disable Defender (or if it is automatically disabled when a third-party software is installed), it really consumes relatively minimal system resources. There isn’t much use in suspending the service at this time.
OTHER RELATED: 7 Ways to Increase Hard Disk Space on Windows Second, if you disable the service (or go through the process of removing it), any subsequent Windows update is likely to reinstall Windows Defender and ruin all of your hard work in the process.
Make Sure You’re Still Using Antivirus (and Anti-Malware)
CONNECTED:Do I Really Need Antivirus Software if I Browse Carefully and Use Reasonable Decisions? While having the ability to enable and disable Windows Defender is convenient, it’s important to ensure that you’re still using a reliable antivirus program. Many individuals will tell you that you can get away with not using antivirus software if you’re careful, but this is just not true. If you despise antivirus software, Windows Defender is the least obtrusive application you can use, and you should probably leave it turned on even if you don’t need it.
This will help protect you from exploits and vulnerabilities that antivirus programs do not cover, which are arguably more prevalent on the internet today.
Turning Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 – Nicepage Documentation
When Nicepage attempts to write into the /Documents folder, which is where Nicepage Desktop keeps all webpages, Windows Defender may prevent this from happening. This article covers how to switch off Windows Defender on Windows 10, both temporarily and permanently, in two different ways. Windows Defender may be temporarily deactivated until you restart your computer by selecting Restart from the Windows Settings menu.
Alternatively, you may prevent Windows Defender from turning itself back on until you give it permission to do so by editing the Windows Registry Editor in the Windows operating system. If you choose the second option, the problem with Nicepage Desktop should be resolved permanently.
- Open the Start Menu
- Select Settings (a gear-shaped Settings icon)
- And then click OK. Then select “UpdateSecurity” from the drop-down menu. Then select “Windows Security” from the drop-down menu. Then select “Virusthreat prevention” from the drop-down menu. Real-time scanning in Windows Defender should be turned off. Remove the “Real-time protection” option from the menu and restart Nicepage.
If the problem persists, please contact Customer Service. When Nicepage attempts to write into the /Documents folder, which is where Nicepage Desktop keeps all webpages, Windows Defender may prevent this from happening. This article covers how to switch off Windows Defender on Windows 10, both temporarily and permanently, in two different ways. Windows Defender may be temporarily deactivated until you restart your computer by selecting Restart from the Windows Settings menu. Alternatively, you may prevent Windows Defender from turning itself back on until you give it permission to do so by editing the Windows Registry Editor in the Windows operating system.
- from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Virusthreat protection”!virus-protection.png!
- from the drop-down menu.
- Disable the real-time scanning feature of Windows Defender.
- Restart Nicepage from the beginning.
Defender Control v2.0
Since Windows Vista, Microsoft Defender has been included with the operating system. In simple terms, it is a little piece of software that runs in the background to help protect your computer against malware (malicious software) such as viruses, spyware, and other potentially harmful applications. Some spyware protection is preferable to none at all, and it’s built in and completely free! However, if you are already running something that provides excellent anti-malware protection, defender will most likely waste valuable system resources, since there is no reason to have more than one program operating at the same time on your computer.
- As many people prefer to use alternative applications, many individuals are seeking for ways to deactivate or delete Microsoft Defender from their systems.
- A click on the Settings button in Microsoft Defender launches the program’s control panel in the newly launched Windows Settings application.
- In this particular case, it is unknown why Microsoft decided to alter the behavior of Microsoft Defender in this particular instance.
- A simple portable freeware program called Defender Control will allow you to entirely disable Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 with a single click.
- 4.– Some code enhancements have been made.
- When transferring large amounts of data from a computer to a USB flash drive or vice versa, deactivating antivirus software might reduce the total copy time.
Depending on your situation, you may wish to disable Microsoft Defender if you are limited on resources, have your own means of dealing with malware, or have just come to the decision that Microsoft Defender is not for you in any way.
Our advice is that you utilize the “Add it to the exclusion list” function (located under the menu bar) after running the program for the first time to ensure that you are not affected by any potential false warnings.
“C:Program Files (x86)DefenderControldControl.exe” is the path of the defender control program that has been excluded.
The color green indicates that Microsoft Defender is operating.
The color red indicates that Microsoft Defender has been disabled.
Orange – Either / Neither It is either unable to run Microsoft Defender or Real-Time protection has been disabled.
You may also launch Microsoft Defender or Microsoft Defender settings (found under the menu button) with just a single click.
Due to the fact that TrustedInstaller has a difficulty, the software may need to wait 3-5 seconds before turning Microsoft Defender on or off in some cases.
If you use the software on a regular basis, you should utilize the “Add it to the Exclusion List” tool in the Menu to add “Defender control” to the white list of programs.
It is necessary to encrypt this file since “Defender Control” software may generate false positives in VirusTotal.
Password: file name: dfControl.exe MD5 hash: 10d8e4ca3fa2902859c77f41bae4ddaSHA1 hash: c730c7033b5bdc0a6510825f7f61f100e98c141 SHA256 hash: dfControl.exeMD5 hash: 0d8e4ca3fa2902859c77f41bae4daSHA256 hash
How To Really Turn Off Windows Defender In Windows 11 Permanently
Like it was in Windows 10, Microsoft Defender is the default anti-virus and malware solution in Windows 11, as it was in Windows 10. Your machine is protected against malware and virus attacks. Despite the fact that Windows Defender is one of the finest antivirus solutions available on the market today, you may still wish to turn it off for testing purposes or on devices that are not connected to the internet. Keep in mind that when you install another antivirus application, Windows Defender is automatically switched off as a precaution.
In this post, I’ll show you how to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 11 as well as how to temporarily disable Windows Defender.
Turn Off Windows Defender Temporarily
First and foremost, we’ll look at how to temporarily disable Windows Defender’s protection. It is necessary to launch the Windows Security app in order to accomplish this with Windows 11.
- Open the Start Menu, type Windows Security, and then launch the Windows Security application. In the Windows Security screen, select VirusThreat protection
- Then, under VirusThreat protection settings, select Manage Settings
- And then click OK.
We can now turn off the Real-time protection, which should be sufficient for the majority of testing needs. When you turn it off, you will be presented with a warning; just click agree to turn off Windows Defender. After a brief period of time, the Real-time protection will be automatically turned back on. It is still possible to observe the Microsoft Defender Antivirus service running if you visit the task manager in Windows. In addition, when you restart your computer, the procedure is immediately restarted and continues until completion.
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 11 Permanently
Disabling Windows Defender on a permanent basis might be complicated. Methods that were successful in Windows 10 do not appear to be effective in Windows 11. Windows Defender was able to immediately start up again every time I tested it, despite the fact that I tried nearly every option provided for Windows 10. I’ve attempted to disable Windows Defender using the following methods:
- Gpedit is the location. Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus so that it is not reset after a restart. After disabling the services from the startup menu, the settings are restored within 2 minutes of restarting the computer. In addition to removing the Wdboot driver, the settings are also reversed
I have two alternatives that appear to be effective and long-lasting. Taking ownership of the Windows Defender executable and deleting all rights from it is the first method of gaining access. As a result, the system principal will be unable to launch the Microsoft Defender service. The second method involves altering a few of registry entries, which prevent the beginning of services associated with Windows Defender from starting.
Step 1 – Boot into Safe Mode
The first step is to restart your computer in Safe Mode. We are unable to acquire ownership of the MsMpEng.exe file unless we boot into Safe Mode.
- PressWindows key + Rto open the run dialog
- Typemsconfigand press enter
- Select theboot tab
- UnderBoot optiesenable “ Safe boot “
- PressOkandrestartyour computer
Step 2 – Take Ownership of Defender
It is necessary to gain ownership of the Windows Defender application folder as a following step. In this method, we should be able to avoid any future Defender upgrades.
- Navigate to the following location:c:programdataMicrosoftWindows Defender
- Open the folderPlatform’s properties by right-clicking and selecting properties from the context menu. Select the Security tab from the drop-down menu. Select “Advanced” from the drop-down menu.
- Select Administrators from the AdvancedFind Now drop-down menu. To acquire ownership, clickOk (twice) on the screen.
Step 3 – Remove All Permissions
The Windows Defender program has now been transferred to our possession. All that remains is for us to delete all of the users and principals from the list.
- Remove each permission entry by selecting it and clicking Remove. This should be done for all users/entries in the list. Make certain that the Replace owner option is selected on subcontainers and objects. SelectReplace all child object permissions.
- SelectReplace all child object permissions. ClickApply
Step 4 – Disable Safe boot and reboot
We must disable the safe boot option in order to return to the default version of Windows 11 on our computer. Open up MSConfig once more and disable the safe boot option:
- Press the Windows key + R and type msconfigenter. Open the tabBoot and deselect the safe boot option. Make a fresh start on your PC
The VirusThreat Protection feature has been fully removed from the Windows Security app in Windows 11 if you open it now.
Using RegEdit to disable Windows Defender in Windows 11
The registry may be used to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 or 11, which is an alternate method. You will also need to boot into safe mode in order to accomplish this. To boot into safe mode, go back to the previous chapter and repeat step 1. When safe mode is activated, the following happens:
- To open the registry, use the Windows key + R and typeregeditenter. Navigate to the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetService in the registry. Change the keyStartto4 in the following folders:.
Continue with step 4 from the previous chapter to restore Windows to its default configuration.
Revert the change
If you decide that you no longer wish to disable Windows Defender, you may quickly undo your previous decision. You will need to restart your computer in safe mode and provide full access permissions to System and TrustedInstaller on the Platform folder once more. If you utilized the registry technique, you should restore the settings to the following:
Keep in mind that if you do not have an antivirus application installed, you are at risk of contracting a virus or malware infection. Despite the fact that it consumes too much CPU, I do not advocate deactivating defender. If you discover that Windows Defender is taking an excessive amount of resources, you should consider switching to another antivirus solution.