- 1 Yes, you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade. Here’s how
- 2 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 for Free
- 3 How the Free Upgrade Works
- 4 Back Up Before Upgrading
- 5 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
- 6 After the Upgrade
- 7 Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
- 8 How to download Windows 10 for free
- 9 How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
- 10 Is Windows 10 free?
- 11 How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
- 12 1. Check you meet the hardware requirements
- 13 How to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
- 14 Buy a Windows 10 license
- 15 Get a USB mailed to you, or make your own
- 16 Start setup and follow the on-screen process
- 17 How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free in 2021
- 18 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for free
- 19 Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 For Free in 2021
- 20 Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
- 21 In-place Upgrade
- 22 Upgrade a PC From Windows 7 to Windows 10 by USB disk
- 23 FAQs
- 24 Tip: You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free
- 25 How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free
- 26 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free in 2022
- 27 Why should you upgrade your operating system?
- 28 Windows 10 System requirement
- 29 Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
- 30 Why activate Windows 10 on your machine?
- 31 Upgrade to Windows 10 Before Windows 7 Becomes Obsolete
- 32 How to Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10
- 33 Why Should I Upgrade Windows?
Yes, you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade. Here’s how
Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 expired more than five years ago, but no one informed those in charge of maintaining the Windows activation servers of the expiration. As a consequence, you may still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and claim a free digital license for the most recent version of Windows 10 without having to go through any additional hurdles or requirements. When Microsoft officially discontinued support for Windows 7 in January 2020, the need for an update became more critical than ever.
Thousands of thousands of individuals have taken old PCs out of storage and brought them up to speed swiftly as a result of these free updates during the previous two years.
You may also still upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by utilizing a product key from a prior business edition of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Pro/Ultimate) that is compatible with Windows 10.
(See “How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without difficulties” for more information.) Every strategy I discuss in this post is also applicable to Windows 11, however the tight hardware compatibility requirements for Microsoft’s newest operating system will prevent most older PCs from upgrading to Microsoft’s newest operating system.
- Throughout this piece, I’ll go through the essential steps for installing Windows 10 as an update on older hardware.
- Early in 2017, I wrote and released the original version of this piece, which was written and published some months after Microsoft’s initial free upgrade offer had expired.
- However, the update worked flawlessly.
- There is only one digital license, and no product key is required.
- I continue to get email messages on a daily basis from readers who are pleased to report that their free upgrades were successful, with no requirement for a purchase or a product key.
- See the following article for more information on how to troubleshoot these problems “This offer for a free Windows 10 upgrade is still valid.
Here’s why – and how to get your hands on it.” Check out “Windows 10: Use setup log files to troubleshoot installation difficulties” for more information on decoding setup failures. Do you want to get your own digital license for the most recent Windows 10 release? Follow the steps outlined here.
How to upgrade an old PC to Windows 10
The most effective pills This list has several intriguing alternatives, whether you’re searching for a tablet to watch films or to completely replace your laptop computer. More information can be found at If you have a PC running a “genuine” copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 (Windows 7 Home, Pro, or Ultimate edition, or Windows 8.x Home or Business edition, which has been properly licensed and activated), you can follow the same steps I did to install Windows 10 as an upgrade on that PC by following the links below.
Before you begin, I recommend that you do a few basic chores that will help you avoid any problems:
- Examine your copy of Windows to ensure that it is properly activated. In particular, if you have just reinstalled Windows, this is essential. Make sure you have the most recent driver updates, especially for network and storage hardware. It is especially critical for systems that were initially sold in 2017 or earlier, when hardware manufacturers were still working out difficulties with Windows 10
- This step is especially important for systems that were originally sold in 2017. Back up your data files to an external hard drive or to the cloud using cloud storage software (or both). If you have a Windows 7 computer, you should consider creating a full system backup to an external hard drive using the Windows 7 backup application, which you can find in both Windows 8.x and Windows 10. Simply run the command Sdclt.exe and then select the Create A System Image option from the drop-down menu. Uninstall any third-party security software and low-level system programs that may be interfering with the upgrade process for the time being. Those apps can be reinstalled when the update is complete
- However, Finally, unplug any external devices that aren’t absolutely essential, particularly USB flash drives and external hard drives. There are a number of frequent installation difficulties that may be attributed to the Setup software becoming confused by the addition of these extra disks.
Having completed the prerequisites, navigate to theDownload Windows 10webpage and click theDownload tool nowbutton to begin the installation process. To start the Media Creation Tool, double-click the executable file that was downloaded when it has finished downloading. You have the option of upgrading immediately using this tool or creating separate media. If you’ve downloaded the Media Creation Tool to the computer you’re planning to update and you’re only planning to upgrade that PC, you may select theUpgrade This PC Now option from the Upgrade menu.
It normally takes an hour or so, depending on your hardware configuration.
Choosing the second option and saving the installation files on a USB drive or an ISO file is recommended if you want to update to Windows 10 on more than one computer, or if you simply want greater flexibility in the event that the quick upgrade fails.
The specific steps you must do may vary depending on whatever download option you selected:
- Flash disk on a USB port Plug in the USB flash drive that you have just produced into a free USB port on the computer that you wish to upgrade. Once you’ve done that, go to File Explorer (Windows Explorer on Windows 7) and double-click Setup to begin the installation of Windows 10. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to complete an upgrade to Windows 10 via the freshly produced USB device or DVD. Windows 10 setup must be executed from your presently installed and activated copy of Windows
- The ISO file cannot be used for this purpose. It will be necessary to mount the ISO file and open it in a Windows Explorer/File Explorer window when the download is complete. If you are using a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you may double-click the ISO file to open it as a virtual drive on your computer. When operating Windows 7, you’ll need to download and install a third-party application such as the free, open-sourceWinCDEmu.msi file. Double-click Setup to begin the installation procedure when the ISO file has been mounted.
Then just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Windows 10 update. You will not be required to enter a product key during the upgrade process, and once the upgrade is complete and you have connected to the internet, you will have a digital license for the most recent Windows 10 version, which you can verify by going to SettingsUpdate and SecurityActivation in Windows 10. All of your apps and data files will be accessible from this location. Due to the fact that the digital license is connected with that specific device, you may reformat the disk and start a fresh installation of the same version of Windows 10 at any time.
You will not be required to provide a product key, and activation will take place automatically.)
Is your license valid?
And now for the big question: If you take advantage of this upgrade to Windows 10, will the license that results from it be valid? When it came to the overall “free upgrade” offer, the wording used was, to put it gently, “a little squishie.” Furthermore, the wording around the conclusion of that offer was similarly ambiguous. For example, have a look at the following responses from Microsoft’s Windows 10 Upgrade FAQ that I’ve highlighted here: The language used here is highly ambiguous. That’s a strange use of language.
In a similar vein, the description of product keys states that a key will be required “for this tool to operate” (which is not correct), but makes no mention of licensing.
In any case, the free upgrade offer has been temporarily extended, at least for those who rely on assistive technology.
(I frequently employ the Windows Magnifier program, which is unquestionably an assistive technology.) Of course, I’m not a lawyer, and nothing in this column should be construed as legal advice.
A very huge nod and wink, I believe, was intended to make it simple for individuals who wanted a Windows 10 upgrade to still receive one while also appeasing the OEM partners, who had been dissatisfied with Microsoft’s year-long concentration on upgrades rather than new PC sales over the previous year.
It is no longer possible to access the page that formerly served as the Upgrade Assistant since it now produces an error message.
I’ve continued to test that situation, and I can confirm that it is still functional, even though Windows 7 has reached the end of its support lifecycle.
If you’ve tried this strategy on a PC, please let me know how it worked out for you by clicking on my name at the top of this site and filling out the contact form.
The following article was first published in January 2017 and has been updated. Since then, it has been updated several times to ensure that it has the most up-to-date information.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 for Free
Windows 7 is no longer supported, but you are not required to pay to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft has been discreetly extending the free upgrade offer for the past few years without public announcement. Upgrades to Windows 10 are still possible on any PC that has a legitimate Windows 7 or Windows 8 license.
How the Free Upgrade Works
Providing that your Windows PC is running on a legitimate and active copy of Windows 7 (or Windows 8), you may upgrade to Windows 10 in a matter of minutes. Your PC will receive a real, active Windows 10 key, exactly as it did during Windows 10’s first year of availability, when the free upgrade offer was publicly promoted. A PC may also be upgraded by doing a clean install of Windows 10, even if it currently does not have any other operating system installed on it. All you need to do is give a valid Windows 7 (or Windows 8) product key.
- Microsoft may decide to pull the plug on fresh updates at some point in the future.
- And, if you do decide to update, your computer will be issued a legitimate Windows 10 key that will continue to function even if Microsoft decides to stop permitting new upgrades in the future.
- If you have Windows 7 PCs in your company and you use this way to update them, Microsoft may not consider you to be in compliance with the requirements of your company’s license agreement if you use this technique to upgrade your business PCs.
- RELATED:If you have a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key, you can still get Windows 10 for free.
Back Up Before Upgrading
We strongly advise you to back up your files before you begin. Although the upgrading process should not delete your files unless you specifically instruct it to do so, it’s always a good practice to have a recent backup of your data—especially when executing a big operating system upgrade—on hand. We also recommend you to locate your Windows 7 (or Windows 8) key in case you need it in a future situation. This key may be placed on a sticker that you place on the cover of your computer or on the lid of your laptop.
If your computer does not have a sticker, you may always use a program such as NirSoft’s ProduKey to locate the license key that is presently in use on your computer.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
To acquire your free upgrade, go to Microsoft’s Download Windows 10 page and follow the instructions. To download the.exe file, click on the “Download tool now” option and choose your operating system. After asked, pick “Upgrade this PC immediately” when the program is launched and navigates through the process. Yes, it really is that straightforward.
We’re not trying to be devious here; Microsoft has chosen to allow customers to update using the tool. A clean installation of Windows 10 is possible if you choose the option to “Create installation media” and then provide a valid Windows 7 or 8 product key while installing Windows 10.
After the Upgrade
During the update process, you will be given the option of keeping all of the files on your system or starting over from scratch. The SettingsUpdateSecurityActivation screen will appear when the update has been completed successfully. If your system has been “activated with adigital license,” you’ll notice it in the system information. It is much more convenient if you sign in to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account since the license will be connected to your Microsoft account, making it even easier to reactivate Windows 10 on your PC should you ever need to reinstall the operating system.
The Windows 10 activation process will then “phone home,” determine that your hardware configuration has a valid license on file, and activate itself.
Instead of using Windows 10, try installing Linux, purchasing a Chromebook, or moving to the Mac operating system.
Several websites, including PCWorld, ZDNet, The Verge, andBleeping Computer, have lately confirmed the effectiveness of this strategy that we’ve been using for several years.
Still running Windows 7? Time is running out to upgrade to Windows 10
The deadline for upgrading to Windows 10 has passed. Microsoft is no longer providing support for Windows 7, and the corporation has recently released Windows 11 as a replacement. Please bear in mind that Windows 11 will only be offered as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, and not for those using earlier versions of the operating system. Upgrades will be required for those who are still using outdated operating systems. (Click here to learn how to get Windows 11 and how to determine whether your PC is compatible.) If you’re still using Windows 7, you may upgrade to Windows 10 Home for $139 (£120, AU$225) through Microsoft’s official website.
Upgrade to Windows 10 now will make future upgrades, such as Windows 11, much more straightforward.
More information may be found at: Windows 11 evaluation: Familiar, but not stale Users of Windows 7 who do not upgrade to Windows 10 are already missing out on Microsoft’s security updates, bug patches, and technical assistance, according to the company.
Learn how to download and install Windows 10 for free, and get the newest information on Windows 11 computer requirements and a typical Windows 11 issue that Microsoft users have been experiencing.
In addition, here’s what you may expect prior to making the switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This story has been updated recently. Currently playing: Keep an eye out for this: 7 different methods for taking screenshots in Windows 113:54
How to download Windows 10 for free
If you’re presently running a licensed and active copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, here’s how to acquire Windows 10 for free. 1: At home or in the office: 1. Navigate to the Windows 10 Download page. Click Download tool now and Run under the heading “Create Windows 10 installation media.” If this is the only computer that needs to be upgraded, select Upgrade this computer immediately. Create installation disks for another PC and save the installation files if you’re upgrading from a separate system.
You should notice a digital license for Windows 10 in the Settings UpdateSecurityActivation section when the update is complete.
Stephen Shankland is a contributor to CNET.
(Please note that the update is not available for Windows Enterprise.) Other users may also encounter problems, depending on the configuration of your computer.) This update, which makes use of the media production tool, is not intended for the general public, although it does work for a large number of people.
Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to get Windows 10 for free as a student or member of the faculty at your university.
For additional information, see the best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2021, six security adjustments that all Windows 10 users should make, all of the significant differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, and every Windows 10 setting that you should deactivate (all of which can be found here).
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
Anyone who is still using an older version of Windows should learn how to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 by clicking here. This is especially true given the fact that the Home Edition is still regularly priced at $139/£119/AU$225, which is not a little sum of money. Now that Microsoft has let its free upgrade offer to Windows 7 and Windows 8 customers to expire, obtaining a free upgrade to Windows 10 may appear to be out of reach for some. However, the real instruments for doing so are still readily available and reasonably accessible.
What is the reason that you may still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 in 2021?
Microsoft is unlikely to want consumers to migrate to a free operating system such as Linux or, more likely, to continue using an older, unsupported version of Windows that leaves them vulnerable to viruses and hacking attempts.
This basic instruction will assist you whether you’re coming from Windows 7 or Windows 8. Those preparing for Windows 11, which is on the horizon, shouldn’t be concerned because it is expected to be a free upgrade as well, according to reports.
Is Windows 10 free?
Windows 10 has never truly been offered for free. With Windows 10 Home costing $139 and Windows 10 Pro costing a whopping $200, getting Windows 10 installed on your computer or laptop is going to cost you a significant amount of money. When Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers were offered free upgrades, Microsoft did so for a short period of time, but that period has already passed. A loophole, however, continues to exist, which permits you to obtain Windows 10 for free. Furthermore, we believe that Microsoft is leaving it available since it is in the company’s best interests to entice as many users as possible to upgrade to Windows 10.
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
On the surface, the procedures for upgrading to Windows 10 for no charge from versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are the same as they were when Microsoft was officially selling the upgrade.
1. Check you meet the hardware requirements
To be able to install the most recent version of Windows 10, you’ll need the following items: CPU: 1GHz or higher processor is recommended (Here is alist of supported CPUs) Windows 10 32-bit requires 1 GB of RAM; Windows 10 64-bit requires 2 GB of RAM. Storage space: 32GB or more of available space GPU that is DirectX 9 compliant or later with WDDM is required. 1.0 drriver 1.0 drriver Display with a resolution of 800×600 pixels or higher Online connection: During the installation of some versions of Windows 10, an internet connection is required.
- For optimal performance, we recommend at least a 2GHz dual-core CPU, 4GB of RAM (8GB is preferable), and a 160GB hard drive for Windows 10 to be installed.
- After that, download and install the Windows Media Creation Tooland the Windows Media Player.
- Start the Windows Media Creation Tool, and when you get to the “What do you want to do?” section, pick “Upgrade this PC immediately,” and then follow the rest of the tool’s instructions to complete the upgrade.
- You may find additional in-depth information on how to complete this procedure here.) Once you’ve entered your Windows 7 (or Windows 8) license key, you should be able to start using Windows 10 right away — for free.
Your computer will be activated with a digital license when it has established a secure connection with Microsoft servers. It is also possible to manually activate Windows 7 using your product key if you are unable to secure a license for the operating system.
- Take a look at our guide to using Windows 10 for more information. Seek information on where to get Windows 10 if you require a different bundle
In his spare time, Darren writes news and stories for TechRadar (and occasionally T3) about a variety of computing issues, including CPUs, GPUs, various other hardware, VPNs, antivirus software and other related subjects. During his leisure time, he writes novels (his debut novel – ‘I Know What You Did Last Supper’ – was released by Hachette UK in 2013), and he has been writing about technology for the better part of three decades.
How to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
When Microsoft discontinued support for Windows 7, many computer users were faced with a decision: should they continue using Windows 7 or should they switch to Windows 10. If you are one of these individuals and you feel the urge to upgrade, you should be aware that you have a few of options. Regardless of whether you want to download Windows 10 or install it from a USB drive, there are a few procedures you must follow. If you follow the correct procedures, upgrading to the most recent operating system should be a breeze.
Buy a Windows 10 license
The initial step in this process is the purchase of a Windows 10 license for your computer. Step 1: Determine whether or not you are eligible for a free upgrade. Most Windows 7 customers will no longer be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, but if you satisfy specific qualifications, you may still be eligible. Step 2: Take a look at your possibilities. It is likely that the vast majority of users will need to purchase a Windows 10 product key from Microsoft or another authorized reseller.
Windows 10 Home is also available for $140, which is a significant savings.
Make your purchase on the third step.
Get a USB mailed to you, or make your own
If you decide to purchase Windows 10 via Microsoft, you’ll discover that there are two alternatives available. You have the option of downloading the operating system to your computer as an ISO file or via a USB drive. Step 1: Take into consideration USB. If you choose the USB drive option, a copy of Windows 10 will be shipped to your address of choice. If your internet connection isn’t reliable enough to handle the 4GB download, using a USB drive is a great option to consider. Step 2: Alternatively, select the download option.
Alternatively, you may double-click the ISO file to mount it and then run theSetup.exe file in the folder to complete the installation.
It will be possible to modify your BIOS settings so that you may boot from the installer after the DVD has been prepared.
Step 4: Make sure you have received your email.
If you’re only interested in updating your existing Windows 7 installation and not in erasing it, skip to the next step and continue. This is a much easier and more foolproof procedure than the previous one. Arif Bacchus of Digital Trends has contributed to this article.
Start setup and follow the on-screen process
Using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, the most straightforward method of upgrading to Windows 10 is to download and run the program. You may also use Windows Explorer to access the USB device where your Windows 10 installation disc is stored and then run theSetup.exe file. From there, simply follow the instructions outlined below. Step 1: Search for the phrase “Upgrade this PC Now.” When the window is open in any of these circumstances, you should note that there should be an option that reads “Upgrade this PC Now” that you may select.
- Step 2: Comply with the instructions.
- If you’re connecting by USB, there will be no waiting.
- One of the prompts will inform you of any problematic applications or services that may be incompatible with Windows 10.
- Step 3:Input the product key that you received through email from Microsoft.
- It is likely that you will have to manually enter the key if it is not automatically extracted from your Windows 7 computer.
- If you miss the old look of Windows 7, you can always change the appearance of Windows 10 to look like Windows 7, but you can just as easily adopt the new and better version by learning more about how to use Windows 10.
- How to make your PC compliant with TPM 2.0
- Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB vs. Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB: Which is better? Does having additional RAM make a difference? How to enable Low Power Mode on a Macintosh computer. Compared to a steak supper, this Amazon Fire tablet bargain is far less expensive. This important Windows 11 app is receiving a fresh new appearance
- Read on for more.
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free in 2021
(Photo courtesy of Laptop Mag.) Editor’s Note: Windows 11 will be released this autumn. Take a look at ourWindows 11 system requirements guide to determine if your laptop or desktop computer is compatible before getting too enthusiastic. Windows 11 will be available as a free upgrade, similar to Windows 10. If you can’t wait to see what the next operating system looks like, you can download a Windows 11 preview build from Microsoft. Be cautious, though, and only do this operation on a machine that does not contain any sensitive information.
In the event that you did not receive your free copy of the company’s most advanced operating system, you were pretty much out of luck.
After all is said and done, it appears that you may still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Maintain your awareness of the fact that this workaround will not always be effective.
If you are still on Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will almost surely need to upgrade because Microsoft no longer supports those older operating systems.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for free
To begin, make sure you’re running a legitimate edition of Windows 7 or later. Anything older than Windows XP or Vista will not function (please, if at all feasible, upgrade to a newer operating system). Make a note of the activation key if you’re running Windows 7. (you may need this later). A free tool like NirSoft’s ProduKey will help you find it. 2nd, here is an excellent place to pause and back up anything you’d wish to keep on your current PC before proceeding. Follow the steps outlined in ourWindows 10 backup instructions to do this.
- Then start the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (by pressing “download tool now”) and select “Upgrade this PC now” from the drop-down menu.
- Once again, having a backup available at this stage is critical, so save everything to the cloud, an SSD, or a USB drive as soon as possible.
- Navigate to the Settings menu and choose “UpdateSecurity,” then click “Activation.” You may check to see if the Windows 10 update was successful from this page.
- Make use of your Windows 7 or Windows 8 license key to see if it helps.
Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 For Free in 2021
Microsoft has already terminated its free Windows 7 upgrade offer in 2016, when this article was published. However, technically, it is still operational in 2021. Recently, I personally tried it and found that it is still functional. It was found after I conducted a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop using my Win 7 key. I had no idea what I was doing. Despite the fact that I cannot promise that it will work for everyone, there is no harm in giving it a go. If you have not yet upgraded, you still have the opportunity to receive a complimentary upgrade.
If you have misplaced your key, what should you do?
Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
Users have the option of performing an in-place update on their current computer or a fresh clean install on a new machine. Simply enter the Windows 7 serial key when prompted in either way, and it will work flawlessly in both cases. Before you upgrade, make sure you have adequate free storage space on your computer.
Check the minimal amount of free disk space necessary for the Windows 10 update before proceeding. Please make a backup of your essential data before proceeding with the upgrading procedure, as recommended by the vendor. You can get the best backup software here.
In situ upgrades allow you to update your existing Windows7 or Windows8 system to the most recent Windows10 version while maintaining all of your apps and data moved to the most recent version of Windows. In any case, we strongly advise you to create a backup of your data before proceeding with the operation. Step 1: Download and launch the media making software. Step 2: Select the option ‘upgrade this PC’ from the drop-down menu. When you first launch the media production tool, you will be presented with two alternatives.
- It is possible that downloading Windows 10 files from the internet may take some time.
- If you are using a pirated or cracked version of the software, you may be prompted to input the license key.
- After the download is complete, click on the’Install’button to begin installation.
- You have the option of selecting data just, dataapps only, or nothing at all.
- Step 5: Wait for the update procedure to be completed.
- Step 6:Congratulations!
- Simply configure the privacy settings on the first run.
- It will initially prompt you to configure your privacy preferences.
If a PC does not have online access, it is possible to download the ISO file from another PC that does have internet access. You will not require an Internet connection on that PC in order to install a New Windows using this approach. Step 1: Download the ISO file and burn it to a bootable USB flash drive to get started. To make a bootable Windows 10 disk, follow the instructions outlined below. 1.Go to the Microsoft website and download the Windows media creation program. Install and run this file after downloading it.
- Select the second option.
- Select “Create installation media for another PC” from the drop-down menu.
- It requires a minimum of 8 GB of free space on the USB Stick.
Once this process has been successfully completed, you will have a valid and legal copy of Windows 10 accessible on your USB device. Installing Windows 10 on another computer or on a separate partition is now possible without the need for an Internet connection.
Upgrade a PC From Windows 7 to Windows 10 by USB disk
Start by inserting a bootable Windows 10 USB disk and setting the computer to boot from the USB drive as its first boot device in its BIOS settings. 2. The Windows 10 setup will begin to load. To begin the installation process, click on the ‘Install Now’ button. Following that, it will prompt you for the Activation Key. You may either type in the Activation key or leave it blank. Alternatively, you can click on the I don’t have a product key link. However, you will need to input the key later on when the installation is complete.
- Choosing Upgrade will determine whether you are upgrading an existing Windows 7 or installing a new Windows 7.
- When it asks for a Serial number or Product Key, you should enter it.
- I will propose that you get a legitimate Windows 10 product key from theMicrosoft if this does not work for you.
- Microsoft declares Windows 10 to be the final version and makes it available as a cloud service.
The question is, does the Windows 7 serial key still function, and is it true that upgrading to Windows 10 is completely free? When Windows 10 was released in 2015, Microsoft gave Windows 7 users a one-year grace period during which they may upgrade for free to Windows 10. Later on, they prolonged this period of time before withdrawing their offer. However, individuals continue to inquire as to whether there is a method to take advantage of the free upgrade offer. And I may just respond with the word “Yes.” If you already have a Windows 7 product key, you can receive a free copy of Windows 10.
- What should I do?
- And then restart the upgrade process; the installer will now bypass that stage, and you will be able to begin the upgrade process immediately.
- Yes, you can simply select “make installation media for another PC” from the drop-down menu.
- After that, you may launch the installation from the USB drive.
- Is it possible to restore to Windows 7 if necessary?
- Windows 7 may also be restored using the Rollback option.
- On the internet, there are several Windows 10 tutorials to choose from.
Is it possible to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10?
The first phase is nearly identical to that of Windows 7.
Is it possible to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10?
(1) First and foremost, you will not be able to move all of your data, apps, or settings.
Actually, it’s similar to a fresh installation.
As a result, we recommend that you upgrade both Windows 10 and the hardware.
Yes, that is simple to accomplish.
Following the migration to SSD, do the in-place update to Windows 10 described above and enjoy your improved Windows 10.
See how to convert Windows from a hard drive to a solid state drive without losing your data.
Is Windows 7 something I can live with?
I recommended them to make the move as soon as possible because Microsoft has already announced that it would no longer support Windows 7.
You may make advantage of it as long as your antivirus program is compatible with Windows 7.
As a result, you must rely on your security software.
This will be accomplished by an in-place upgrade.
Otherwise, Windows 10 will automatically move all of your applications to the new operating system. Before upgrading software, make sure that it is compatible with the new version.
Tip: You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free
It had been a fantastic journey, but it has come to an end now. On January 14, 2020, Microsoft announced the retirement of Windows XP, one of the company’s most successful operating systems. Windows 7 is no longer available. Your computer will continue to operate, but it will no longer get security updates, and any problems that are discovered will not be addressed. The bottom message is that continuing to use Windows 7 is extremely risky, especially if you buy online or save any personal information on your computer.
- There’s good news!
- It’s still available in a low-key manner.
- Because the upgrade offer was officially withdrawn in 2016, it’s unknown how long you’ll be able to take advantage of it.
- Given that it is still functional, we are inclined to conclude that Microsoft is not concerned about this unauthorized upgrading technique and is merely interested in getting as many users off Windows 7 as possible.
How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free
First and foremost, you’ll want to make sure you have your Windows 7 product key on hand in case something goes wrong. If you’re using a prebuilt PC that you purchased from a store—the typical tower PCs from Dell, HP, and other manufacturers—it should have a sticker on it that contains the product key. If you don’t know where it is, free utilities such as Belarc Advisor or NirSoft’s ProduKeycan scan your system and locate it for you. Make a note of it and keep it close at hand. After that is completed, make a backup of your data.
- Our recommendations to the best Windows backup software and online backup choices are available, but even storing your most important information on a USB key or external disk may be beneficial.
- Microsoft Continue by visiting theWindows Media Creation Tool page on Microsoft’s website and clicking theUpgrade Nowbutton.
- Install the tool and then sit back and wait for it to do its thing.
- In this post from How To Geek, you will be guided through the procedure step-by-step.
- Mark Hachman/IDGEvery now and again, In the case that your hardware or software is incompatible with the upgrade, Microsoft will prevent the upgrade from taking place.
- Fixing those flaws can be time-consuming and difficult, and is beyond the scope of this essay.
- Where can I find one?
- Consider switching to Linux or purchasing a new Chromebook or Windows PC if you’re still having trouble keeping up with security updates.
- It’s important to note that running an unpatched and unsecured operating system in today’s environment is not a good idea.
Please keep in mind that if you make a purchase after clicking on links in our articles, we may receive a small fee. For additional information, please see our affiliate link policy.
- Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs)
During the day, Brad Chacos spends his time searching into desktop computers and tweeting much too much.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free in 2022
Although Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 expired more than four years ago, did you know that you may still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and receive a free digital license for the most recent Windows 10 version without incurring any further fees or charges? Furthermore, if you are still using Windows 7 on your computer, upgrading to Windows 10 is now more crucial than ever, as support for Windows 7 has been officially discontinued as of January 14, 2019. In the event that you have a “authentic” copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 on your computer, here is how you update for free to Windows 10.
You could either go to the Microsoft shop and get Windows 10 for roughly 139 dollars, or you could go to a local computer store and purchase Windows 7.
Each order is sent by email in a matter of seconds, and it includes free, English-speaking technical assistance as well as secure payment processing.
Important: Although Windows 11 is not yet available at the time of writing this post, we can confirm that the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 will be free.
Why should you upgrade your operating system?
The first reason is, very simply, security. Microsoft Windows 7 is a somewhat ancient operating system that has been in use since 2009. It was released in 2009. So it’s been 11 years, and just this month, in January 2020, Microsoft announced the end of support for Windows 7. What this implies is that Microsoft will no longer be delivering any security updates or fixes for the Windows 7 operating system. This implies that if you continue to use it, you will be subject to malware assaults, which you most likely do not want to deal with.
Windows 10 System requirement
Prior to beginning, we strongly advise that you review the following requirements. The following are the system requirements recommended by Microsoft for installing the most recent version of Windows 10 on your machine.
- CPU: at least a 1GHz processor
- RAM: at least 1GB for Windows 10 (32-bit) or 2GB for Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Storage: at least 32GB
- Other requirements: WDDM 1.0 driver is required for DirectX 9 or later graphics cards. The display must be at a minimum resolution of 800 x 600. When installing various versions of Windows 10, you may be required to connect to the internet throughout the installation process
It is possible to proceed with updating your current Windows system if you fulfill all of the requirements.
Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
Now, let’s speak about how to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 and go over the processes that are required.
- Before proceeding, it is necessary to consider Please be certain that you are using a valid edition of Windows 7 or later
- Ensure that you have the most recent driver updates, particularly for the network adapter, and that you have enough storage space on the C drive
- To download the Windows 10 update files from the Microsoft server, ensure that you have a solid internet connection, and that your VPN is turned off (if it is configured on your machine). Third-party security software and low-level system utilities that may interfere with the update should be temporarily uninstalled
- Disconnect any external devices that aren’t absolutely essential, including USB flash drives and external hard drives
View this page for more information:How to download Windows 10 absolutely free Using the media creation tool, you may upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. Installing Windows 10 directly from the operating system is possible for anyone running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. The media creation tool is available for those running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Step 1: Go to the Windows 10 download website. Step 2: Install Windows 10 on your computer. This is an official Microsoft portal from which you may download the media production tool, which will allow you to upgrade for free.
- In order to execute the Media Creation Tool, double-click on the executable file and choose Yes when the UAC (user account control) questions you.
- Step 04:Click Next and then follow the prompts to complete the Windows 10 update.
- Please keep in mind that the program will download Windows 10 files from the Microsoft server throughout the update process, and the time required may vary depending on your internet speed and system settings.
- To activate the upgrade, go to Settings > UpdateSecurity > “Activation.” Once the upgrade procedure is complete, go to Settings > UpdateSecurity > “Activation.” You may check to see if the Windows 10 update was successful from this page.
- If you are unable to receive a license, input your Windows 7 product key and manually activate the operating system to resolve the problem.
Why activate Windows 10 on your machine?
To begin, you must have a legitimate license in order to utilize Windows 10 to its full potential. Access to all critical security updates is guaranteed, you will never be plagued by warning or nag displays about your unauthorized installation, and you will be able to take use of all Microsoft services, including the fantastic Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users may still make the switch to Windows 10 and receive a free digital license for the most recent Windows 10 version without having to pay a money on the process.
In addition, those of you who are using Windows 8.1 Professional or Windows 8.1 Professional for Students will obtain Windows 10 Professional.
- Is it possible to update to Windows 10 without having a product key?
Yes, Microsoft enables anybody to download and install Windows 10 for free without the need for a product key. However, there are certain feature limits in place. You may also be interested in:
- Instructions on how to link your Windows 10 license to your Microsoft account. Explanation of the Fundamental Operational Functions of the Operating System Is it really necessary to have both antivirus and a virtual private network (VPN)? The distinctions between a desktop CPU and a server CPU are discussed below. Windows 10 is stuck in the preparation phase of an automatic repair. Here’s how to get it fixed
Please report this advertisement.
Upgrade to Windows 10 Before Windows 7 Becomes Obsolete
- To use a product key that is still valid, log in as an administrator, then download and run the Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website. To get Windows 10 if you don’t have a product key, you may buy it directly from Microsoft. If your computer as a whole requires an upgrade, consider purchasing a brand-new computer that comes pre-loaded with Windows 10 at no additional cost.
This article describes how to make the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
How to Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10
If your PC is reasonably young, you should have no trouble upgrading to Windows 10 with little effort. If, on the other hand, your computer was built around the time Windows 7 was originally released, it may not fulfill the system requirements.
Microsoft has published the system requirements for running Windows 10 on a computer. Meeting the system requirements only ensures that Windows 10 will operate on your computer; it does not guarantee that it will function properly.
How to Update Windows 7 to Windows 10 Using a Product Key
Upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you still have a valid product key from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 installed on your computer. To get started, all you need to do is download the Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website.
- Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool may be obtained by clicking on the link below and selecting “Run.” A valid administrator’s account is required to do this action. Accept the License Terms by clicking on the Accept button on the License Terms page. Continue by selectingNow is a good time to upgrade this PC
- The program will guide you through the process of installing Windows 10. All versions of Windows 10, with the exception of the Enterprise edition, are available for download. Depending on your system configuration, choose either the 32-bit or 64-bit version. Review your software selections, as well as any files or applications you choose to preserve, before proceeding with the installation. During the upgrade, you may choose between transferring personal data and applications, transferring personal files exclusively, or doing nothing. Please save and exit any open applications and files that you may be executing. Install is the option to choose when you are ready. If you turn off your computer while Windows 10 is installing, your computer will restart numerous times. Following the completion of the Windows 10 installation, input your Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key when required.
Purchase Windows 10 Directly
When upgrading from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, if you don’t have a product key, you may always purchase Windows 10 straight from Microsoft. Basic Windows 10 costs $139, while Windows 10 Pro starts at $199.99 and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations costs $309, depending on the configuration. The majority of PC users will just require Windows 10 Basic or Pro to run on their machines.
Other Methods of Upgrading Windows 7 To Windows 10
If your entire computer is in need of an upgrade, keep in mind that all new Microsoft PCs come pre-installed with Windows 10 as the default operating system. For between $150 and $500, you can get a brand-new PC that comes pre-installed with Windows 10 at no additional cost.
Why Should I Upgrade Windows?
Windows 7 has been the operating system of choice for many PC users, however Microsoft will no longer support this version of the operating system going forward. While Microsoft is providing companies the option to pay extended support through 2023, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is both less expensive and easier than staying on Windows 7. The Microsoft Windows 7 operating system will no longer be supported after January 2020. To ensure that you continue to get security updates and technical assistance, we suggest that you upgrade to Windows 10 using the methods provided below.